TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aftermarket wheel installation

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by kevincwelch, Sep 19, 2013.

1. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Will either the downtown or Villa Park service centers do this? If not, where do people recommend going? (Places familiar with the Model S.)

2. Luder94

Luder94 Member

Do you already have the wheels? Can I ask what model wheels you got?

Make sure you have the appropriate lug nut style to go with the aftermarket wheel. I've read on this forum that some of the Tesla SC's won't install non-Tesla wheels for owners. I don't think it's any issue; so if neither of the two local SC's install them, you can take the wheels to your local Discount Tires, NTB, or even Firestone service centers. Discount Tires and NTB, may charge you to take off the OEM's wheels and mount your aftermarket tire/wheel combo....but with that charge, you should get a tire balance to go along.

If you can't find a local tire shop to mount them, as long as the tires are mounted to the wheels and they have already been balanced and you have the proper lug nuts, come out to my place and I can swap them on for you in my garage (I have all the tools needed to do so).

Another thing to remember is that with your aftermarket set, is that you may have to reuse your tire pressure sensors(or get another set of them and have them programmed by Tesla SC). Once I get my set of aftermarket wheels, I probably will just take the original sensors and fit them into a sealed and pressurized pipe to fool the monitor.

3. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I haven't ordered them yet, but probably the Rial Luganos and some winter tires. I have to talk to the Tire Rack tech. I will be getting pressure sensors so I can just swap out the tires in the spring again.

4. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Will that work????

5. Luder94

Luder94 Member