TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aftermarket Wheels and TPMS

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by brandonmbeard, Oct 22, 2013.

1. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

This may have been answered elsewhere but I can't seem to find the definitive answer.

I am considering aftermarket wheels for the P85 and keeping the 19" as my winter wheels/tires. I have been told that the TPMS must be bought at/from Tesla SC at a cost of $125 each. My question is multi fold.

1. Is there something special about the Tesla TPMS that it doesn't use the standard frequencies?
    2. If I buy wheels and tires at my local custom shop do I have to pay Tesla more to break them back down and install the sensors?
    3. Anyone with aftermarket wheels what did you do?

2. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

1. It uses a 433Mhz frequency. You can buy them from Tirerack for less than what Tesla sells them for.
    2. Any tire shop can install the sensors. Have your local shop get the sensors and install at the same time they mount/balance your new setup.
    3. Yes many people have. My tire shop ordered the sensors from tirerack and installed everything for me.
    4. "Trust but verify" what Tesla SC tells you... by posting here :wink:

3. e4chan

e4chan Member

Question - does Tesla need to program the new tires with TPMS, or can any tire shop can install and config to the car?

I am in Toronto, and it will cost $132/tire to install and configure the TPMS with the sensor.

e4.

4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Yes, once the tires/wheels/TPMS are installed, you will need to go to a Tesla SC to program the new sensors to the car.

5. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Dreamin,

What did the TPS cost you per unit from TTR?

Thanks for posting a non-Tesla option as others have posted long wait times for Tesla units.

6. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

The tire rack charges $97 each for the sensors.

7. mpbruin108

mpbruin108 Member

Is there a brand for these TPMS sensors? Also, does anyone know what pressure to pump 20" aftermarket tires too? I figure it would be somewhere between 19" pressure recommendations and 21" recommendations but unsure.

8. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

You should use the recommended pressures from the tire manufacturer. This will be a range and you can use the upper threshold of the range.

9. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I'm running 42psi on PSS and the wear pattern on the tires looks good...