Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Wheels and TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may have been answered elsewhere but I can't seem to find the definitive answer.

I am considering aftermarket wheels for the P85 and keeping the 19" as my winter wheels/tires. I have been told that the TPMS must be bought at/from Tesla SC at a cost of $125 each. My question is multi fold.

1. Is there something special about the Tesla TPMS that it doesn't use the standard frequencies?
2. If I buy wheels and tires at my local custom shop do I have to pay Tesla more to break them back down and install the sensors?
3. Anyone with aftermarket wheels what did you do?

This may have been answered elsewhere but I can't seem to find the definitive answer.

I am considering aftermarket wheels for the P85 and keeping the 19" as my winter wheels/tires. I have been told that the TPMS must be bought at/from Tesla SC at a cost of $125 each. My question is multi fold.

1. Is there something special about the Tesla TPMS that it doesn't use the standard frequencies?
2. If I buy wheels and tires at my local custom shop do I have to pay Tesla more to break them back down and install the sensors?
3. Anyone with aftermarket wheels what did you do?

1. It uses a 433Mhz frequency. You can buy them from Tirerack for less than what Tesla sells them for.
2. Any tire shop can install the sensors. Have your local shop get the sensors and install at the same time they mount/balance your new setup.
3. Yes many people have. My tire shop ordered the sensors from tirerack and installed everything for me.
4. "Trust but verify" what Tesla SC tells you... by posting here :wink:

Question - does Tesla need to program the new tires with TPMS, or can any tire shop can install and config to the car?

I am in Toronto, and it will cost $132/tire to install and configure the TPMS with the sensor.

e4.

Is there a brand for these TPMS sensors? Also, does anyone know what pressure to pump 20" aftermarket tires too? I figure it would be somewhere between 19" pressure recommendations and 21" recommendations but unsure.

You should use the recommended pressures from the tire manufacturer. This will be a range and you can use the upper threshold of the range.