Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Wheels for a Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on the fence between getting a Model Y Long Range vs a Performance edition. When I put the 20" wheels on the Long Range the price difference to move to the Performance is only $3,000. So I'm leaning toward the P (in part because estimated delivery if about 5 months sooner) And then if I feel the ride is too harsh or tires wear too fast , I could switch to 19 or 20' aftermarket wheels and all season tires. Not sure if my logic is sound but was wondering if anyone has had experience with downsizing the 21' Performance wheels to a smaller set and has it worked out. Also any recommendations as which wheels are good substitutes given the larger brake calipers on the Performance edition would be welcome.

I had to get a set of winter wheels for my MYP since I live in Minnesota. I went with a set of 19" TSportline TST wheels with Michelin X-Ice Snow mounted. When I switched over to the 19" wheels, I observed a little bit better efficiency when the temperature was in the 40s (250~260Wh/Mi compared to 270~280 Wh/Mi in the 21" Ubers). The ride seemed to be very slightly better, but I could just be imagining it (I didn't find the Ubers to be a problem).

If you get the MYP and didn't like the 21" wheels, there are plenty of 19" or 20" wheel options that would fit.

Upvote 0
I am on the fence between getting a Model Y Long Range vs a Performance edition. When I put the 20" wheels on the Long Range the price difference to move to the Performance is only $3,000. So I'm leaning toward the P (in part because estimated delivery if about 5 months sooner) And then if I feel the ride is too harsh or tires wear too fast , I could switch to 19 or 20' aftermarket wheels and all season tires. Not sure if my logic is sound but was wondering if anyone has had experience with downsizing the 21' Performance wheels to a smaller set and has it worked out. Also any recommendations as which wheels are good substitutes given the larger brake calipers on the Performance edition would be welcome.
Another way to go is to simply upsize the tires on the OEM 21” Uberturbines. Fewer moving pieces (tires only) and less costly (same reason) but results in a better ride, sidewall akin to 20” Inducitons, better wheel protection and better wear profile. Added benefit: the larger wheel/tire combo fills out the wheel opening(s) better than anything OEM and look fantastic! Good luck.

Upvote 0
Another way to go is to simply upsize the tires on the OEM 21” Uberturbines. Fewer moving pieces (tires only) and less costly (same reason) but results in a better ride, sidewall akin to 20” Inducitons, better wheel protection and better wear profile. Added benefit: the larger wheel/tire combo fills out the wheel opening(s) better than anything OEM and look fantastic! Good luck.
Interesting. I dont know all that much about tires. Who makes a larger size 21" tires for the MYP?

Upvote 0
Interesting. I dont know all that much about tires. Who makes a larger size 21" tires for the MYP?
Sorry, I should’ve been more clear. Instead of using OEM spec, try the following: install either 295/35R21 or 285/40R21 on the rear wheels and either 275/35R21 or 265/40R21 on the front wheels, depending on availability. The result is an increase in sidewall akin to the 20” inductions for a more compliant ride while also adding a measure of enhanced wheel protection. The photo below is my personal MY with the 295s mounted on the rear….and, yes, an added benefit is no more OEM stretched appearance for which I am truly grateful. As far as brands go, there are many options however Michelin and Continental are two good choices…

629DDA56-3EB6-41A5-9310-DCCA81EF6D66.jpeg

Reactions: nate704
Upvote 0
Sorry, I should’ve been more clear. Instead of using OEM spec, try the following: install either 295/35R21 or 285/40R21 on the rear wheels and either 275/35R21 or 265/40R21 on the front wheels, depending on availability. The result is an increase in sidewall akin to the 20” inductions for a more compliant ride while also adding a measure of enhanced wheel protection. The photo below is my personal MY with the 295s mounted on the rear….and, yes, an added benefit is no more OEM stretched appearance for which I am truly grateful. As far as brands go, there are many options however Michelin and Continental are two good choices…

View attachment 744060

Upvote 0
I was trying to quote post 11 but I'm an idiot. I am wondering if MJP.P3D- had any issues with the bigger tires....do they ever rub? Like when you turn sharp or hit a larger bump?

I have a 2022 Model Y with the same rims, and I love the rims.... but I'm not paying $500 a tire to replace, and I wasn't smart enough to check what replacement tires cost before I bought it, I mainly bought the performance over the LR because I could get it months sooner. Once I saw the tire cost when I blew a tire, I am seriously considering buying 19" rims that fit that I found here: TS5 19" Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Package (Set of 4)

But I definitely prefer MJP.P3D-s option if there are no other issues! Thanks

Upvote 0
I was trying to quote post 11 but I'm an idiot. I am wondering if MJP.P3D- had any issues with the bigger tires....do they ever rub? Like when you turn sharp or hit a larger bump?

I have a 2022 Model Y with the same rims, and I love the rims.... but I'm not paying $500 a tire to replace, and I wasn't smart enough to check what replacement tires cost before I bought it, I mainly bought the performance over the LR because I could get it months sooner. Once I saw the tire cost when I blew a tire, I am seriously considering buying 19" rims that fit that I found here: TS5 19" Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Package (Set of 4)

But I definitely prefer MJP.P3D-s option if there are no other issues! Thanks
No issues. None at all. Full turn, lock to lock, moving forward, moving backward, under load—no issues. The rear tires are wearing a bit faster than the fronts but that’s more of a problem with my right foot than the MYP. No regrets. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I'm running 21x9.5 all around on 265/35-21 A/S tires.

I just like the look of the 21" wheels on the Model Y since it's a bigger car, and it's actually pretty smooth & comfortable to drive on with the MYP suspension - much more so than 20" wheels on my previous Model 3 that was lowered on Eibach springs. More importantly, my current wheels & tires are more than 15 lbs less on each corner compared to the Uberturbines on Pirelli tires. This may not sound like much and you can obviously get even lighter with smaller wheels, but the difference is pretty noticeable when it comes to acceleration and braking.

Reactions: Charles415
Upvote 0
Just got new wheels last week. Went with 20x9+35 CF10 from Forgestar and 255/40/20 Michelin Pilot AS4.

Overall the ride feels quieter and slightly more comfortable than the stock Gemini’s. It’s slightly more bumpy but I’m planning on getting new coilovers anyway. The car acceleration felt a little less snappy than before, I’m thinking this is either because of the larger wheels or still need to break in the tires. Wh/mi is roughly comparable so far with a mix of highway and city driving.

Some things I wish I had done differently:

* Wish I had chosen a different color car than white. Overall I liked the look of white the best but white limits your wheel options because I personally don’t like the look of black wheels on white cars (like black shoes and white pants aren’t a particularly good look). I think blue or black are more versatile.

* I didn’t know about hubcentric rings before I made the order, wish I had chosen a wheel with a hubcentric bore, mainly for ease of replacement but also for ease of mind - I prefer not having to worry about a potential point of failure.

* I went with 20’s because I wanted to try out the Pilot Sport EVs and I was willing to pay more for the tires to see if the efficiency claims were true to satisfy my curiosity. There was a mixup with the supplier and so they sent me the AS4’s by mistake. I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of waiting for a replacement so I kept the AS4s (with price adjustment) but now I’m wondering if I should’ve stayed with the 19” size for efficiency and comfort reasons.

One thing I’m looking for is a replacement center ring that has either the Tesla logo or just a plain black. If anyone knows where I might find ones that fit these wheels I’d appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 740906C9-24B1-40B9-B9B4-CFE3550C9103.jpeg
    740906C9-24B1-40B9-B9B4-CFE3550C9103.jpeg
    416.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 79FB7E30-F2CB-41A1-AE66-0E9785777D3B.jpeg
    79FB7E30-F2CB-41A1-AE66-0E9785777D3B.jpeg
    592.4 KB · Views: 176
  • D386B825-CD7F-4E41-A41F-E87427F86ED3.jpeg
    D386B825-CD7F-4E41-A41F-E87427F86ED3.jpeg
    550.2 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 0