TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Aftermarket wheels for model S ?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by mcktrnr, Sep 8, 2019.

1. mcktrnr

mcktrnr Member

Has anyone had success placing 19" aftermarket wheels on a model S ?

I just had "King" brand APEX 19" rims put on recently at Jax tyres, deemed suitable via their website, specs matched the Tesla OEM 19" wheels. However ended up the steering knuckle connects with the rims when steering turned hard right, resulting in an intermittent scraping sound when doing a U turn or going around a tight roundabout.

Mine a 2015 S85.

2. MNoICE618

MNoICE618 Member

There is not much detail about the 19x8 on the king site. What offset are they? AFAIK the MS is +40mm.

If they foul the suspension then they are not road legal and not fit for purpose; but whether they are refundable depends on if jax advised they are suitable or you assumed they were.

3. mcktrnr

mcktrnr Member

King Apex offset is 40P. which should be ok?

Jax advised so they are refundable. But I need wheels to replace them with, so am looking for another option before I can return these.

Lesson to be learned is that basic specs aren't enough to ensure a rim will fit I guess.

4. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I’ve bought and sold a few sets of wheels, but always gone with Tesla wheels. I don’t like 3rd party wheels on Tesla cars.
    If you go with Tesla wheels you know they won’t foul the suspension and the TPMS will work.

• Like x 1
  5. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

You can try SS washers to off set the wheels. 1-2 mm might do.

6. Ashleysteadman

Agreed!

I've had silver 19" slipstreams, sonic carbon 19" slipstreams, and now 21" arachnids (what I've always wanted). There are some great looking aftermarket wheels but I prefer the factory-style look as well.

7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Yep, there is a decent amount of variety within the factory wheels, and they just look better to my eyes. There is something a bit cheap and nasty about 3rd party wheels, even the expensive ones.