TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aftermarket wheels for the Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by thefortunes, Nov 25, 2015.

1. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

Now that I don't have such a long commute and will not be buying new tires every 3-4 months, I decided to buy a set of these rims for my winter Pirellis so I can change them out myself instead of being reliant on a tire shop.

Amazon.com: American Racing Custom Wheels AR883 Maverick Anthracite Wheel With Machined Face (17x7.5/5x110mm, +40mm offset): Automotive
    Amazon.com: American Racing Custom Wheels AR883 Maverick Anthracite Wheel With Machined Face (16x7/5x110mm, +40mm offset): Automotive

I had the tires mounted/balanced locally, and installed them myself (with this set of hubcentric rings Amazon.com: 4 pieces - Hubcentric Rings - 72.6mm OD to 65.1mm ID - Black Poly Carbon Hubrings: Automotive).

I put them on Sunday and have driven over 100 miles so far. No clearance issues, even though the front are 16x7 with a 40mm offset.

You can "see" them on a Roadster here WheelPros : Wheels: AR883 Maverick

Total for the rims was $406 delivered. I did not get TPMS since they are only for the winter.

2. asgard

asgard Member

Do you have a 1.5 or 2.X Roadster? I think the 1.5s TC may not adapt to this wheel.

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

As long as he stays at very close to the same rate of rotation (rr) between the front and rear tire, there's no issue. He's running the same diameter wheel as stock, so it'll be the tire profile/width that changes the rr on the tire.

4. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

I have a 2.5, but I put the standard size snows on them so they may work on the 1.5 also.

5. asgard

asgard Member

If the wheel diameter is exactly the same as the OEM wheels it should work.

6. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

2.x's can tire learn (geometry change) and not held to the the rr constraints the 1.5's are tied to.

7. mookhead

mookhead Member

This is a good deal, especially considering the 16x7 in front frees you from AD07s. What tires did you mount?

8. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

These are my winter rims so they have the Pirellis on them.

9. m0rph

m0rph Member

10. jeremyz

jeremyz Member

thefortunes, could you post a picture of your car with these wheels on them?

What happens when you don't have TPMS in the wheels (other than the error message)? I would guess you lose regen unless you drive with traction control disabled.

11. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#11 wiztecy, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    I don't believe the TPMS affects TC. I can have TPMS errors that don't interfere with the TC. Also the TPMS uses a radio signal, the TC I believe uses a sensor that's down by the hub that's embedded which is I believe the ABS pickup. ABS also needs to know if there's slippage/change in tire rotation in braking. I believe its just a magnet that counts each rotation.

Tesla can disable TPMS (European models have it disabled) and TC still functions.

12. frequencydip

frequencydip Sig 100 - #52

I have 2 sets of rims only one set had TPMS sensors installed. When the rims without the sensors are on the car everything works just fine other than a warning message displaying, TC and regen work just fine.

13. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

I can take one tomorrow, but you can go here http://www.wheelpros.com/wheel/4339/ar883-maverick# and select Browse By Vehicle ; Configurator . It shows you a pretty good representation.

Re: not having TPMS...after 20 minutes of continuous drive time you will get the error message. If your drives are < 20 minutes you most likely will not see the error - I say most likely because sometimes the system "groups" drives together. I haven't figured out when/why. There are no other implications (all systems function normally).