TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aftermarket wheels. How much space beyond spec numbers is there?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Mario Kadastik, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

The standard specs that Tesla gives for 19" wheels are

Wheel Specifications General Production (19 inch)
    Bolt circle (5x120mm)
    Hub center diameter (64mm)
    Wheel bolt size (M14) and cone angle (60°)
    The bolt circle pattern is 5x120mm.
    The hub center diameter is: 64mm
    Bolt size: M14x1.5, 60 degree cone taper
    Offset / ET: 40mm
    Tire circumference (2150-2193mm)
    Rim width (J-size): 8.0 (in inch)

This is officially from Tesla that I got today.

Now the question is that if I don't find the EXACT numbers for aftermarket wheels, then how much space there is for playing around still. Remember that I'm driving in heavy snow so I don't want to pack the car too close to anything with the wheels. So the main question is that if I want 8.5" or 9" or even 9.5" wheels, then what kind of offset is still acceptable. I guess the main limiting factor is front wheels. So if anyone can tell me what's the maximum difference towards the inside and maximum towards the outside from the nominal, then I can use various offset calculators available on the web and make sure the rims I pick fit.

I'm kind of in a hurry as I'll be getting my car the first week of December and it comes with 21" and it's illegal to drive with those in December already so I need to have the wheels and tires (already ordered Hakkapellita 8 studded 19" tires, delivery next week) ready by the time the car arrives.

2. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Several of us have 19x8.5 +38 (with 245/45 tires). +35 will work fine for up to a 9.5" rim from what I've seen others posting. Lots of people are running 19x8.5 +32 (Rial Luongo's). That should give you lots of options. If you have a question about a specific fitment, just ask...

3. Mario Kadastik

The current shortlists that are available and semi decently priced are:

19x9 ET48
    19x8.5 ET45 (this is the one I'm really contemplating)
    19x8.5 ET35 (alternative)

The rest are in short supply and am investigating still, but those are available in stock and I could get a whole set for ~€900-1000 probably. Would be good to know if any of them donät The rest are in short supply and am investigating still, but those are available in stock and I could get a whole set for ~€900-1000 probably. Would be good to know if any of them don't fit.

4. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

My summer set is Vossen CV4 front 20x9.0 ET35 with 245/40/20, rear 20x10.5 ET42 with 285/35/20 , wheels are 72.5 bore so have to use a 64.1 hub centering ring.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385068344.152938.jpg

5. Mario Kadastik

Well yours seem to go about 8mm to the inside and 18mm to the outside in the front in comparison to the spec. The 8.5" ET45's however go ~11.5mm to the inside and it's the inside region that worries me. Probably could always use some spacer or what not, but would prefer not to especially on such a heavy car.