Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,
Can anyone here give some insight into how a tesla could perform in a non-high end tire? I'm looking at a few tires (Hankook / Continental) which are at the $150-$200 price point and am wondering how they would fare. It seems that most folks are putting the pilot sports or pirellis but those are a bit out of my budget at 350 a tire.
The two models I am looking at are
  • HANKOOK VENTUS S1 NOBLE2 H452 99W
  • HANKOOK VENTUS V12 EVO2 K120 102Y
Thanks

Hi folks,
Can anyone here give some insight into how a tesla could perform in a non-high end tire? I'm looking at a few tires (Hankook / Continental) which are at the $150-$200 price point and am wondering how they would fare. It seems that most folks are putting the pilot sports or pirellis but those are a bit out of my budget at 350 a tire.
Thanks

The Hankook Ventus V12 K110 is one of the few discount tires to break into the top ten on Tire Rack's survey in the summer Max Performance category. Just barely however, at #10. Not objective testing results, but still data. Check it out, and also the objective testing by Tire Rack here. It doesn't do so well in the objective testing of four discount tires, coming in fourth. the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT came in top rated in the discount Max Performance category.

Last edited:
Red Multi-Coat Model 3 with Brilliant Silver 18" TST Flow Forged Wheels

red-multi-coat-tesla-model-3-18-inch-turbine-wheels-tst-flow-forged-brilliant-silver-wm-1.jpg
red-multi-coat-tesla-model-3-18-inch-turbine-wheels-tst-flow-forged-brilliant-silver-wm-2.jpg
red-multi-coat-tesla-model-3-18-inch-turbine-wheels-tst-flow-forged-brilliant-silver-wm-4.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Ciditad and x-cimo
Hi folks,
Thanks

Forgot to ask, what size wheels? If you can use 19s, the Pilot Sport 4S becomes a whole lot more affordable in the 235/40-19 size at about $270-275 a tire, and the Super Sport, almost as good, comes in at $250, but is only available in a slightly larger 245/40-19, with a minuscule increase in rolling diameter. Still a way better tire than the Hankook. I appreciate that this might be a stretch, but if there was ever a purchase to do that on, it's tires. Everytime I've saved money on tire purchase, I've regretted it, sometimes a lot

Reactions: pkalhan
20190119_105038.jpg
As mentioned in my previous post, Performance models have had the same wheels installed with no issues too.

After some driving time (but no track or even skidpad time to clarify behavior at or near the limit) with the new Vorsteiner wheels and 275/30 rear and 235/35 front TESLA SPECIFIC 4S tires, here's my preliminary assessment of the purchase:

1) Fitment - in this case, borderline on the installation aspects (6/10), due to a clearly too tight hub/wheel match (at least on my car), but wheel fitment once installed is a 10/10. No clearance issues at all front or rear, and the rears are nicely tucked in, despite their nearly 1 ft width, by the increased offset (45 vs. the stock 35 on the fronts). This latter fitment aspect is clearly more important than the former (mounting was salvageable after some seriously anxious moments when I wondered if I might have to dismount these wheels and send back!). Overall fitment might balance out at 9/10, with the caveat that EV should check their stock and do a test fitment on a Performance Version to see if indeed the hubs are bored out a bit too tight.

2) Weight - this was really disappointing is view of the initial communication (from Vorsteiner to EVS and then simply relayed from EVS to me but without checking or confirmation) of 21-22 lbs. Actually closer to 26-27 lbs. Admittedly still lighter than stock 20s, but heavier than several other gravity or rotary flow type wheels. 7/10.

3) Handling -
still need more time to evaluate this, but subjectively, understeer isn't really visible at speeds I'm comfortable with on public roads - more on this later when I've had a chance to do some skidpad time with track mode on. Initially 9/10 - but I clearly need more time and data on this point, esp. around whether there is a lot of terminal understeer, or whether track mode might automatically compensate for staggered setups. Not a single source on this on the forum to my knowledge, so that's a big knowledge gap in the aftermarket scene for the Performance Version of the Model 3.

4) Ride - only minimally firmer,
esp. at the rear. 8.5/10. Sensation of weight or 'heft' at the rear, but not too giggly, esp. given the massive width of the rear tires (see picture on wheel balancer - this thing is seriously WIDE!.

5) Value - homerun deal at only $1650,
even with weight issues. 10/10.

6) Service -
despite the above issues, I would still rate Haywood's service highly, as he reached out to Vorsteiner, and obtained an offer of buy back - which I have decided to decline given how much grief, work and expense it would entail. But I do think that EVS should have known that the Vorsteiner advertised weights didn't square up for example the shipping weights (32+ lbs - hard to believe if you are EVS and paying shipping on this that there was 10 lbs of cardboard and packing material. I would for sure do business with Haywood again, but would make sure that critical stats like wheel weights are confirmed and not simply passed on by the distributor. Lesson learned hopefully by both of us. Integrity is more important than whether or not mistakes might have been made. So . . 9.5/10.

20190114_182330.jpg
20190114_204806.jpg
20190114_204921.jpg

7) Appearance and Curb appeal. 11/10. Obviously this is totally subjective. But the wheels do seem to mitigate the sense with the stock rims that the 20 inch wheels are just too large for the car. These OTOH seem just right.

Last edited:
Thanks for the shots of the rear wheel/tire. Looks like the 275/30 fits great on the 20x10.5. Doesn’t look stretched at all. I wonder if it’s the same for Michelin A/S 3+ as well.

Good question, but you could check the tire stats here.

All the nervous nellies, including a technically pretty competent sales person at Tire Rack, said that the wheel being too wide for the tire were just plain mistaken. The wheel is perfect for the tire. it sits just about the same as the 235/35 on 9 inch rims on the front. Both look great, and not stretched at all.

Thanks. Yeah, they both are listed as having the same section width for 275/30 at 10.9”. Guess I’ll just have to decide with the A/S 3+ to be on the safe side or take a risk since they both are listed as for a max rim width of 10”.

Thanks. Yeah, they both are listed as having the same section width for 275/30 at 10.9”. Guess I’ll just have to decide with the A/S 3+ to be on the safe side or take a risk since they both are listed as for a max rim width of 10”.

Fortune favors the brave and I'm glad I didn't listen to the 'conventional wisdom' which in this case was too conservative! Go for it.

Having run the A/S 3+ in the 235/35-20 size on our other Model 3P, it's an amazing tire. If I had to deal with some (but not crazy Minnesota level) snow and could only have one tire, it would be the easy choice. It's handling is amazingly crisp for an all seasons tire. However, it is firmer - at least subjectively in my judgment - than the 4S, so in a 275/30 size, you might not be thrilled with the ride, if you like a more supple ride experience. Not harsh mind you, but pretty firm.

Reactions: awd_rails
Showing off the new shoes. VS Forged V16 matte brushed bronze 19x9+35. I down sized from stock 20” for lighter setup that will benefit on street and track. I also decided to go with a slightly taller tire 255/40/19 to get additional wheel protection from pot holes, curbs etc. Will be lowering the car with MPP sports coilover to stock ground clearance while shrink down the tire/fender gap. Addition upgrade to aftermarket brake will push the wheel out by 5mm, which will make the tire/wheel more flush with fender. All parts working together for the perfect balance of look and performance.

Thanks Josh @GetYourWheels for the help on VS Forged.

CEBC7038-8447-422C-AA45-8A9BA2A557EB.jpeg
44623824-B5B5-4A36-ADD3-CF0545377D4F.jpeg
E5A97656-701C-4C1F-BE67-CF1CCF46BE58.jpeg
24FD23D8-9819-4FF5-8FD0-217908F5A072.jpeg
4BB9052E-CD3E-4242-A969-E557CD735FC0.jpeg
ED8248E1-14D6-4CD0-83A2-5A3915209900.jpeg

Showing off the new shoes. VS Forged V16 matte brushed bronze 19x9+35. I down sized from stock 20” for lighter setup that will benefit on street and track. I also decided to go with a slightly taller tire 255/40/19 to get additional wheel protection from pot holes, curbs etc. Will be lowering the car with MPP sports coilover to stock ground clearance while shrink down the tire/fender gap. Addition upgrade to aftermarket brake will push the wheel out by 5mm, which will make the tire/wheel more flush with fender. All parts working together for the perfect balance of look and performance.

Thanks Josh @GetYourWheels for the help on VS Forged.

View attachment 370599 View attachment 370600 View attachment 370601 View attachment 370602 View attachment 370603 View attachment 370604
Just curious how much clearance you now have to the suspension knuckle above the tire. I didn't think 40 aspect ratio in 19 diameter would fit.

Just curious how much clearance you now have to the suspension knuckle above the tire. I didn't think 40 aspect ratio in 19 diameter would fit.

was looking at that as well, this is the second 255/40/19 i've seen pics of, which happens to be ps4 also, and on a white, the other is non perf
good to know it fits based on the size and offsets...

Only about 2-3mm. I took the car on a 200+ mile road trip this weekend, the clearance was fine on the road trip. I inspected the tire during and post the trip. In a few weeks I’ll have new brake setup that will push out the wheel by 5mm, there will be plenty of clearance after that.

Some concerning news about the wheels Haywood that EVS should be aware of: 1) their weight is radically different from what you quoted - 26 lbs for the fronts 27 for the rears vs. the 21 and 22 lb numbers quoted for me (which would have negatively effected my decision to buy if I had known this at the time); 2) even more troubling, the center bore appears to have been set to be virtually IDENTICAL to the hub diameter, instead of .1 mm larger (which is what it is supposed to be). This meant that I had to sand and wire brush the center hub area of each wheel to even get them to fit on the hub at all. One of them was almost impossible to fit, and I was concerned at one point that I would not get it flush on the rotor mounting surface, even with the immense pressure possible from the lug nuts, and at one point I was not sure that I could either mount, or dismount, the wheel - fortunately, I was able to work it back and forth to the point where it released, and I was then able to sand down the center bore to the point where it could be mounted. I have not road tested them yet.

I'm dealing with a similar issue with some hub-centric rings that I had custom made. I hit the hub with a wire wheel to remove any rust, but the hub rings are going on in a press fit fashion, and I cannot have them get stuck on the hub with no easy way to get them off. I'm starting to wonder if it's a tolerance issue on the hubs. Ugh.

I'd love to find some light weight good looking 19" wheels with the factory offset.

I figure tesla engineers spent some time working with different offsets and there are likely reasons for the ones they are using, so I would like to stick with it. I also want to be able to rotate my tires.

Are there any options out there? I don't want to lose a bunch of range, but I don't really like the look of the 18's I have.

I'm dealing with a similar issue with some hub-centric rings that I had custom made. I hit the hub with a wire wheel to remove any rust, but the hub rings are going on in a press fit fashion, and I cannot have them get stuck on the hub with no easy way to get them off. I'm starting to wonder if it's a tolerance issue on the hubs. Ugh.

I feel your pain. It looked for a while like my wheels were going to be press-fit too. Couldn't have that. Don't worry about slightly expanding the inner diameter on the Hub Centric rings. Are they plastic or metal?

I feel your pain. It looked for a while like my wheels were going to be press-fit too. Couldn't have that. Don't worry about slightly expanding the inner diameter on the Hub Centric rings. Are they plastic or metal?

They are metal (Aluminum). I'm going to see if I can hit them with some fine/medium-fine grit sand paper or dremel bit. If not, I will have a local shop open them up just enough to be more of a slip fit.