Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you want an all-season in SoCal?

All-seasons suck- in all seasons.

Above 40 degrees they're inferior to summer tires, and below freezing they're inferior to winter tires.

San Diego average low temps are 49-50 in the dead of winter.

Get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, the best street summer performance tire on the market, and call it a day

Above 40 degrees they're inferior to summer tires, and below freezing they're inferior to winter tires.

Get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, the best street summer performance tire on the market, and call it a day

And what size would you get if you on the aero wheels

Your range will be reduced with those tires though, stickier rubber means more rolling resistance. Plus summer tires also tend to be louder than all-seasons if noise is a concern for OP...

Your range will be reduced with those tires though

So would your braking distance in an emergency stop- by a lot. Which is a lot more important to me than range (and I'd hope to most people)

summer tires also tend to be louder than all-seasons if noise is a concern for OP...

That's a hugely YMMV situation, I can think of plenty of summers that rate better than all seasons for noise, and vice versa.... for example Michelins own A/S 3+ is often considered the 'best' all season for performance, vaguely approaching the summer king PS4S in that regard, the one knock on the all season being that it's louder.

And what size would you get if you on the aero wheels

Given we know the model 3 isn't traction limited on acceleration probably stick with 235/45-18s

Reactions: rhaekar
The 45k mile warranty is valid on the Michelin tires that came with the car, so assuming you meet the requirements (regular rotation, even wear, etc.), the cost of replacements may be less than you think. I don't believe the replacement set, however, would be eligible for the mileage warranty.

Wondering if anyone is running x10 up front, i don't recall seeing anyone with x10 maybe because either low offset would sticks out too much, high offset the wheels may hit on the suspension strut from the inside?

Thanks in advanced.

@MountainPass had 10" wide wheels on their RWD car with 275 tires, but its pretty aggressive and i don't know of anyone else who's done that.

Yeah, it will fit. However, when I asked then for some wheel/tire fitment guidance, they indicated that they had cut up one of their front tires when it made contact with the front fender, and indicated that until a solution for front camber was released (assuming the car is lowered), it will continue to be an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
You probably want 9.5 inch wheel width on that size. You can probably get a 9 inch wheel to work but it wouldn't be my first choice. Even with a 9.5 you're going to squeeze the tire a little bit. That tire fits best probably on a 10 inch wheel but a 9.5 is probably a sweet spot. As for range hit I would bet that that's depending on the rolling resistance of the tire you choose.

All major tire manufacturers post their tire spec on their websites. One of the spec is wheel width range for each tire, for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, the range is 9 to 10.5. With 9.5” wheel being the wheel width that they used to measure the tire dimension when mounted for this specific size.

Truck Tires, Car Tires and more – Michelin Tires

The original tires are 235 / 45 R18. I plan to run all season tires in the winter, on the OEM wheels, and I will likely go to 245 / 45 R18 for the next set. The 235s look stretched, which is not to my taste, and they leave the rims exposed such that curbing them is guaranteed. 245s should look and protect the rim better, have a bit more grip and, at least at the tire rack, they are cheaper and there are a lot more of them to choose from ( 4 times more choice).

From past experience, I’d probably get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the sportier end or the Continental DWS for a more refined/comfortable ride (softer sidewall = sloppy cornering though). I had the Cinturato P7 and thought they were OK but not special at all. They also got horribly noisy as they wore down. I’m running the P Zero A/S Plus on my SUVs and it’s a very good choice for a year-round tire. Its weakest characteristic is the less than stellar wet grip (get the DWS for that), but that’s not critical in SoCal.
If I wanted AS I think Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is what I would get too, for a little upgrade. I think the MXM4's are pretty good too though, if you want to keep the acoustic foam.

Does having 2 sets of wheels void your warranty? Trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my stock wheels and tires. Just did the first rotation at 6k miles the rear's had less tread than the fronts.

Wondering if anyone is running x10 up front, i don't recall seeing anyone with x10 maybe because either low offset would sticks out too much, high offset the wheels may hit on the suspension strut from the inside?

Thanks in advanced.

In a nutshell your guess is correct. 9.5 looks like it's the widest anyone can run on the front. Unless you're willing to push the wheel out board and get all that poke and reduced aerodynamics

What do you guys think about 20x9.5 +30 front and 20x11 +39 in the rear?

I am trying to figure out this same thing. I have a p3d+ with stock pilot 4s sitting in my shed. looks like the widest I can use those tires is 9.5 so thinking of getting 9.5x20 in the front and 10 or 10.5x20 in the rear. if 10x20 then I can use 275/30/r20 which I could also use on the front eventually.

I am trying to figure out this same thing. I have a p3d+ with stock pilot 4s sitting in my shed. looks like the widest I can use those tires is 9.5 so thinking of getting 9.5x20 in the front and 10 or 10.5x20 in the rear. if 10x20 then I can use 275/30/r20 which I could also use on the front eventually.
I think running a square setup will be better. Emphasis on the word think..