Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Avant Garde 19" M621 in Bronze Burst.

Lowered on Unplugged Performance Mild Springs.

Attachments

• IMG_20190511_140446_255.jpg
    IMG_20190511_140446_255.jpg
    839.5 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_20190508_062505.jpg
    IMG_20190508_062505.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 454
Why would you want an all-season in SoCal?

All-seasons suck- in all seasons.

Above 40 degrees they're inferior to summer tires, and below freezing they're inferior to winter tires.

San Diego average low temps are 49-50 in the dead of winter.

Get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, the best street summer performance tire on the market, and call it a day

Mountains. Snow. Very close. Very deep.

fullsizeoutput_9c88.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9c88.jpeg

I have the same car as the OP. I just put Pirelli P Zero Neros on mine. Summer tire only. I really like them so far. They handle better than stock & ride just as well if not better. To my ear, they seem quieter (very subjective). Great in the rain too.

There's no mileage warranty but they had roughly half or better tread left on my wife's Infiniti when we sold it after around 20k miles (same tire).

Not sure about range yet but I expect them to not be quite as good as stock. I also run the rears at 38psi and the fronts at 42 which will hurt the range. I had really bad center wear on the stock rear tires so I'm going with lower pressure this time to hopefully make them last longer.

Seems I saw a bunch of Model S vehicles with staggard wheels, yet I have not heard ANYONE putting them on their Model 3. Some 10" wide wheels should fit on the back, and I can keep my Aero rims for Snow tires. Am I the only one who wants to treat my 3 as a cheap S that doesn't overheat when racing?

-Randy

I've seen a few folks with staggered on a 3 for looks- but since they're functionally inferior, especially on an AWD vehicle, I think most "racing" folks have avoided them, the 3 being a better car for that purpose.

Thanks! The SV107s will look good in the brushed bronze. A nearby owner has them in crystal burgundy, and while not my color preference, they sure do stand out and attract attention.

I didn't realize until it was too late that I needed to specify to have the centercaps color-matched... Still looks good, but would have preferred color matched.
Wait, so I could have maroon and white... (Gig 'Em, etc.)

Do any of the aftermarket tires come with foam inside, like the stock factory ones?
Just surveying all the tires available at Tire Rack in the factory 18" Model 3 size and load range, only the OEM Michelin MXM4 and a new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 with a Tesla OEM code are shown to have Acoustic treatment. Those are the two most expensive tires in that size with a proper load rating for the Model 3.

In the 19" size, there is a Continental PremiumContact 6 Volvo OEM tire with ContiSilent acoustic treatment in addition to the Tesla OEM ProContact RX ContiSilent.

Brentt said:
Do any of the aftermarket tires come with foam inside, like the stock factory ones?

Just surveying all the tires available at Tire Rack in the factory 18" Model 3 size and load range, only the OEM Michelin MXM4 and a new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 with a Tesla OEM code are shown to have Acoustic treatment. Those are the two most expensive tires in that size with a proper load rating for the Model 3.

Personally, I would not pay a $+1 more for the foam.
It adds weight to the tires, makes car fractionally less responsive, and adds tons of cost.
My replacement set of tires will either be straight up Michelin 4S's (saving $184 / set), Pilot Super Sports (PSS are $221 set cheaper), or Bridgeston S007A's ($516 / set cheaper).

Don't worry about load ratings.
All performance tires in this size will have plenty of load and speed rating to spare.

In the 19" size, there is a Continental PremiumContact 6 Volvo OEM tire with ContiSilent acoustic treatment in addition to the Tesla OEM ProContact RX ContiSilent.

235/40-19 size is a more common and popular with many automakers, but the real motherload opens up when you got 10mm wide to 245/40-19 tires.

Your choices get wider and cheaper in 245/40-19 size. Not to mention that Bridgestone RE71R's are available in that size.

For example:
245/40-19 4S's will run $1,083.96 / set
235/40-19 4S's will run $1,103.96 / set in 19" size
235/35-20 4S's will run $1,295.96 for 20" regular set
235/35-20 4S's will ran $1,383.96 for 20" set with Tesla foam

Have fun shopping:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...9&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

a

I was just answering the question. I don't actually advocate for the acoustic foam.

However, people have to carefully consider what they want from a tire when they deviate from the OEM tires. Personally, I live in a very temperate climate (Silicon Valley California) and the OEM tires have plenty of traction for my needs. Since I have a LR RWD Model 3, the rear tires wear noticeably faster than the fronts, so I rotate them every 6,000 miles. I am primarily concerned with tread life and rolling resistance. So, if you filter the 18" Model 3 factory size for Eco Focus on Tire Rack, you only get 5 choices. Among them, only the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S looks appealing to me. They are about $60 less per tire than the OEM MXM4's and they have a slightly higher treadwear rating at 540 vs. 500 on the MXM4's.

Seems I saw a bunch of Model S vehicles with staggard wheels, yet I have not heard ANYONE putting them on their Model 3. Some 10" wide wheels should fit on the back, and I can keep my Aero rims for Snow tires. Am I the only one who wants to treat my 3 as a cheap S that doesn't overheat when racing?

-Randy

Plenty of people running staggered setups on the 3. Here are a couple of threads on the topic.

Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3

Vendor - Official Signature Wheel Gallery | Fitment Q&A Thread

afadeev said:

I was just answering the question. I don't actually advocate for the acoustic foam.

Fair point.

However, people have to carefully consider what they want from a tire when they deviate from the OEM tires. Personally, I live in a very temperate climate (Silicon Valley California) and the OEM tires have plenty of traction for my needs.

Virtually all cars sold in the US have more traction and handling capabilities than 99.5% of the drivers have the skills to reach and challenge. Nevertheless, having a tire with greater traction would allow even a novice driver to stop in a shorter distance, or execute an emergency change maneuver faster, and with greater precision. All of those factors add to a greater safety and performance margin, though usually, for a premium price.

I can see how to many of the general public that trade-off is foolish - why pay more for tiers that don't last as long.
In fact, many folks here will gladly pay more for slicker tires that offer lower rolling resistance and energy consumption at the expense of longer stopping distances.

To me, it's a no brainier, as greater tire traction buys me an extra margin of error to out brake and out maneuver an accident waiting to happen.

Alas, I do recognize how that may not be everyone's preference.
To each, his own.

YMMV,
a

Virtually all cars sold in the US have more traction and handling capabilities than 99.5% of the drivers have the skills to reach and challenge. Nevertheless, having a tire with greater traction would allow even a novice driver to stop in a shorter distance, or execute an emergency change maneuver faster, and with greater precision. All of those factors add to a greater safety and performance margin, though usually, for a premium price.

I can see how to many of the general public that trade-off is foolish - why pay more for tiers that don't last as long.
In fact, many folks here will gladly pay more for slicker tires that offer lower rolling resistance and energy consumption at the expense of longer stopping distances.

To me, it's a no brainier, as greater tire traction buys me an extra margin of error to out brake and out maneuver an accident waiting to happen.

Alas, I do recognize how that may not be everyone's preference.
To each, his own.

YMMV,
a
Since you're in the Northeast, you need proper winter tires. If I was in that situation, I would be inclined to have two full sets of tires and wheels for each car. I would also buy Summer tires instead of All Season tires as soon as the factory tires were worn out. When you're only using your Summer tires for 1/2 to 2/3 of the year, shorter treadlife is more acceptable. However, being in California, we just use All Season tires and take "chains" when we go to the mountains.

Reactions: afadeev