Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got my new wheels in, the fully forged MRR NES FG-01, and I was surprised to find that they actually weigh .6 lbs more than my current wheels, the Forgestar CF5V, that are rotary forged, albeit being .5" narrower in width.

How is it possible that a rotary forged wheel can weigh lighter than a fully forged even when they're similar in design and mass?

Your forged wheels will be much stronger and resistant to bends/cracks. There are a lot of lightweight cast and rotary forged (flow formed) wheels that are fairly fragile and flex a lot under load to achieve lightness.

I remember reading an article where they actually measured how much different wheels flexed and deformed under high turning Gs. It was pretty remarkable. Some would result in 1+ degree of camber change.

• Helpful
Reactions: P-Lo801
Your forged wheels will be much stronger and resistant to bends/cracks. There are a lot of lightweight cast and rotary forged (flow formed) wheels that are fairly fragile and flex a lot under load to achieve lightness.

I remember reading an article where they actually measured how much different wheels flexed and deformed under high turning Gs. It was pretty remarkable. Some would result in 1+ degree of camber change.

In short, when it comes to wheels, you can only pick two:
- Strong
- Cheap
- Lightweight

In short, when it comes to wheels, you can only pick two:
- Strong
- Cheap
- Lightweight

Yeah, i'm learning that the hard way. These are my first ever forged wheels that i've purchased. In truth, for my purposes of daily driving, i don't need the strongest wheel, just strong enough that they don't bend or break in daily driving since I don't nor would ever track my car. So I was going for lightweight (definitely lighter than my current wheels) and relatively inexpensive forged wheels that were hub centric. Just disappointed that I paid significantly more than the cost of my rotary forged wheels for it to come out and weigh more. In retrospect, I should have just gone with Titan 7 because they checked off all my wants/needs in a forged wheel.

Reactions: outdoors
OK, after reading a hundred pages, I think I have an idea on if and how a new set of wheels will work and look on the M3 LR AWD.

Just to confirm if this will work and look good.

Wheels - 19x9.0, 5x144.3, 30MM offset
Tires - 245/40/19

Will the above specs work? Will this give me the flush with body look or even a little outside the body look?

The only thing is that some people mentioned that Japanese wheels use a 12mm bolt hole instead of the 14mm that Teslas uses? No one lists bolt hole sizes.

OK, after reading a hundred pages, I think I have an idea on if and how a new set of wheels will work and look on the M3 LR AWD.

Tires - 245/40/19

Will the above specs work? Will this give me the flush with body look or even a little outside the body look?

The only thing is that some people mentioned that Japanese wheels use a 12mm bolt hole instead of the 14mm that Teslas uses? No one lists bolt hole sizes.

I think that will look awesome. Great size choice on the wheels and tires. They will "poke out" an additional 16mm compared to stock, which is just about right. Which wheels?

Tires - 245/40/19

5x114.3

that spec will be fine but the rears will be a bit more sunk in than the fronts.

Tires - 245/40/19

Note on bolt hole sizing, this is correct, I had to order a set of Work Wheels from Japan specially made with 14mm bolt holes, due to this, my order from Feb still hasn't arrived (expecting in 2 weeks). They did however do it free of charge.

Picked up some Bronze Work Emotion Kiwami 19x9.5 +38 squared. Will get them installed sometime this week.

Attachments

• 509A6E42-F235-4D3A-92D7-ECB3E841F411.jpeg
    509A6E42-F235-4D3A-92D7-ECB3E841F411.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 461
  • 1F3874FE-6D31-4F84-B81B-4FF1CBC35B13.jpeg
    1F3874FE-6D31-4F84-B81B-4FF1CBC35B13.jpeg
    743.5 KB · Views: 421