Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also am on UP Moderate springs. The tire/fender gag on my car (see my post in this thread from 21 Nov 2020) is uneven - two finger up front and almost three fingers on the rear. And this is after several hundred miles of letting the springs "settle". How is the gap on your car - front and rear? Thanks. Thinking of taking it back to the installer to see if there is anything they can do to even out the ride height.
I have about a 2 finger gap all around, are you using their v2 or v3 springs by chance?

I’d be hesitant as to broken links on the site and social media accounts. Also the address is somewhere in Florida and no registered name there. Stick to major wheel names bc when customer service is needed...you’ll be regretting. If you can’t budget a forged wheel just go flow formed View attachment 619703

Roger that. To clarify, I'm a proud owner of NES forged wheels already. The main reason you've seen me posting in the signature wheel thread is because I'm looking to get another set for our model Y.

But, I posted this not because I was considering buying from this company, esp since they're priced similarly to bc forged and signature (after discounts of course). I was just curious if anyone has heard of or had any experience with them since they're seemingly marketing themselves strategically to the EV mods/enthusiasts scene, particularly Tesla owners.

Last edited:
I also am on UP Moderate springs. The tire/fender gag on my car (see my post in this thread from 21 Nov 2020) is uneven - two finger up front and almost three fingers on the rear. And this is after several hundred miles of letting the springs "settle". How is the gap on your car - front and rear? Thanks. Thinking of taking it back to the installer to see if there is anything they can do to even out the ride height.

it sounds like you have moderate springs in the front and mild in the rear.

Attachments

• 65CF1015-19A3-4591-BBC6-6DB99C290998.png
    65CF1015-19A3-4591-BBC6-6DB99C290998.png
    243.5 KB · Views: 157
Question: I'm currently on the oem 19" wheels. I'm considering going up to 20x10. My stock wheel weight is listed at 25 lbs. The wheels I'm considering are 31lbs.

Generally, how bad of a range hit should I expect?

You will take a bigger hit in range from the increased diameter of the wheel than you will from the weight increase. Vid below shows some mathematical proofs of a 20 mile range hit from going 19" to 20" on an M3P. The weight won't affect acceleration/efficiency as much, but may impact the handling.

Question: I'm currently on the oem 19" wheels. I'm considering going up to 20x10. My stock wheel weight is listed at 25 lbs. The wheels I'm considering are 31lbs.

You will take a bigger hit in range from the increased diameter of the wheel than you will from the weight increase. Vid below shows some mathematical proofs of a 20 mile range hit from going 19" to 20" on an M3P. The weight won't affect acceleration/efficiency as much, but may impact the handling.

It's a good video but what the guy didn't mention is that the aerodynamic properties of the wheel play massive role in highway / fast speed efficiency.

In general, open wheel design is great for break cooling but terrible for mileage.
Weight mostly affect 0-60 times, the range aspect of it is negligible.

Reactions: Nichigo

I'm curious why are considering such a heavy wheel? If your going to upgrade to an aftermarket wheel you should try to drop as much weight as possible.

In general, open wheel design is great for break cooling but terrible for mileage.

Exactly. Open wheel design with thin spokes looks good, but it's essentially a giant air scoop. Not aerodynamic at all. You'll notice the new/2021 19" sport wheels reduce the "open-ness" for improved aerodynamics. And yep weight doesn't play much of a role in efficiency.

It's a good video but what the guy didn't mention is that the aerodynamic properties of the wheel play massive role in highway / fast speed efficiency.

I might question the use of the term 'massive' here. We're talking about a 10% range hit from the 18 inch aeros to the 20-inch performance OEM Wheels with comparable data for other 20 inch models. Significant range loss? That sounds good. Regrettable range loss? That sounds good too, but massive range loss which would imply something like 50% or more range from your choice of wheel is not supported. Let's not get into hype.

• Disagree
Reactions: Atraf
I might question the use of the term 'massive' here. We're talking about a 10% range hit from the 18 inch aeros to the 20-inch performance OEM Wheels with comparable data for other 20 inch models. Significant range loss? That sounds good. Regrettable range loss? That sounds good too, but massive range loss which would imply something like 50% or more range from your choice of wheel is not supported. Let's not get into hype.
I wrote that the aerodynamic properties play a massive role, and they do, they are the dominant factor.
I did not say anything about the magnitude of actual range change.

between weight, open design, and width, open design is the biggest reason you will see a change to range.
How much change? Just look at your Tesla’s settings menu and change from 18 with aero cover to 18 without, then realize that the new design in question of the aftermarket wheels is probably somewhat more extreme so it will be a somewhat bigger loss.

it is most definitely not 50% or massive, and I never claimed it to be.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
I wrote that the aerodynamic properties play a massive role, and they do, they are the dominant factor.
I did not say anything about the magnitude of actual range change.

between weight, open design, and width, open design is the biggest reason you will see a change to range.
How much change? Just look at your Tesla’s settings menu and change from 18 with aero cover to 18 without, then realize that the new design in question of the aftermarket wheels is probably somewhat more extreme so it will be a somewhat bigger loss.

it is most definitely not 50% or massive, and I never claimed it to be.

That's a lot of tap dancing to avoid a simple admission that a 10% range loss is not massive. 10-12% is what Tesla's data suggests and what users have reported. It is significant, I'm not arguing that, it's just not massive. Obviously aerodynamics have a massive influence on efficiency, there's no question about that but I don't think that the reader would get that from what you're saying. What they would get from it is that you're suggesting that larger Wheels have a massive impact on efficiency. I appreciate your clarification but again I think what you said originally was misleading

Last edited:
That's a lot of tap dancing to avoid a simple admission that a 10% range loss is not massive. 10-12% is what Tesla's data suggests and what users have reported. It is significant, I'm not arguing that, it's just not massive. Obviously aerodynamics have a massive influence on efficiency, there's no question about that but I don't think that the reader would get that from what you're saying. What they would get from it is that you're suggesting that larger Wheels have a massive impact on efficiency. I appreciate your clarification but again I think what you said originally was misleading

Idk what to say, I wrote what I meant and nothing about what I wrote is false.

Is (open) design a big factor for range change? Yes
Is that bigger than the influence of weight? Yes

Is weight a bigger factor for 0-60 times than wheel design? Yes

not sure how much clearer can this be written.

“aerodynamic properties of the wheel play massive role in highway / fast speed efficiency. ”

“Massive role” is not the same as “massive range”. It just means that between weight and aerodynamic... small aerodynamic change has much bigger effect than even few lbs change.

Reactions: Gasaraki
I posted a separate thread but also letting those who follow this one know that APEX is releasing a direct fit forged version of their EC-7 wheels for the Model 3. Email Cory at APEX if you're interested: [email protected]. They're not released yet but are coming soon. APEX sells similarly sized versions of this rim for BMW fitment for $655. I told Cory i'd spread the word as i'm excited for these to come out (a wide, high-quality 18" forged rim)!

Attachments

• Image from iOS (6).jpg
    Image from iOS (6).jpg
    511 KB · Views: 312
  • Image from iOS (7).jpg
    Image from iOS (7).jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 270
  • Image from iOS (8).jpg
    Image from iOS (8).jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 251
  • Image from iOS (10).jpg
    Image from iOS (10).jpg