Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you mind sharing photos you've come across with 245/40 on 9.5 wheels? I was in the same situation as you and I could not find any photos for reference on how they look stretched.

Here are a few examples from the forum, and then posted a few from a FB group. They are all different angles and tires so its hard to tell what exactly what it would look like but IMO some look fine and others look a bit too stretched.

What setup did you end up going with?

Attachments

• 198661029_784747518735521_8841004311883136897_n.jpg
    198661029_784747518735521_8841004311883136897_n.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 432
  • 196803714_410139613414056_9101708268092546452_n.jpg
    196803714_410139613414056_9101708268092546452_n.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 366
Reactions: P-Lo801

Here are a few examples from the forum, and then posted a few from a FB group. They are all different angles and tires so its hard to tell what exactly what it would look like but IMO some look fine and others look a bit too stretched.

Adding this to the list: MASTER THREAD: Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3

Looks like Michelin A/S3+ based on the second pic.

Yeah... it seems like such a variable thing. Some pictures I see they look pretty stretched (like yours) and others they seem to be fine. That is why I was wondering what tire, as some tires has more section width than others. I am looking at getting either FK510s or DWS06 plus, both of which seem to be relatively wide.

I was considering a 255/35 or 255/40, but with the 35 you decrease the diameter by a lot and increase the wheel gap too and since I am at stock height right now that is not something I want. and with the 40 it looks like it will rub or be very close to rubbing which I would want to avoid as well.

So that leaves me between 245/40 or 265/35, and with the 265 I will prob lose more range compared to the 245, but I am unsure what the difference is. If it is not that significant (~5%), I will just go with the 265.
My suggestion is to go to tire rack and see the section width and tread width and choose your tire based on that “if” you are going smaller. Every tire manufacture has a different cross section. Sometimes you’ll find a beefy 245 or a skinny 255.

REMEMBER…the wheel width is measured inside to inside of rim so ideally you want a fatter tire and tread section by at least 1/2” than the rim. If not it’ll look stretched.

It’s not that simple. 245 is just a number. Need to look at tread width. Tire Rack publishes this data. You’d be surprised how much it varies within a particular size.
Read my post above. It’s really BOTH section width and tread width. You can have a fat section width and a small tread width and it will look stretched. Ideally you want the two numbers to be as close to each other as possible. For people running bagged or aggressive fitment it’s ok to run a skinner tread than the section width.

I decided to just stick with 9" width and stay with 235/40. Here's a couple photos for reference
photoshoot13.jpeg

Prism.jpg

Are these confirmed by the owner to be 245/40?

Reactions: Firehuntah

I would be totally fine with this stretch...darn it though, it would still require giving up range for stickier tires even though they're all seasons. If I were able to confirm that these are how it looks with my current tires (Continental PureContactLS) in 245/40 size, I would've gotten 9.5 width wheels in a heartbeat.

I would be totally fine with this stretch...darn it though, it would still require giving up range for stickier tires even though they're all seasons. If I were able to confirm that these are how it looks with my current tires (Continental PureContactLS) in 245/40 size, I would've gotten 9.5 width wheels in a heartbeat.
The tread width on those A/S3+ is 8.5 but the section width is 9.8. Since the FK510s have a 0.1" bigger section width I would think the stretch would be less? Might just have to pull the trigger to confirm, the FK510s are cheap too.

How do you like the PureContact LS? Good in terms of road noise and ride comfort?

Reactions: P-Lo801
How do you like the PureContact LS? Good in terms of road noise and ride comfort?
I absolutely love them. That's why i'm hesitant to try any other tires because i'm concerned about giving up any range and any changes in road noise and ride comfort, which these all hit spot on for me. Based on what I researched and the seemingly stellar reviews they get, I may consider vredestein quatrac pro too in the future.

Tires are all about compromise, so you have to be honest and realistic with yourself on what you're really prioritizing. For me, it was comfort and range, even though I also value some performance for daily driving. But, at the end of the day, I don't ever drive that fast, and when I do punch it from time to time, it's in a straight line. So, in that respect, I was willing to give up performance for range and comfort.

I absolutely love them. That's why i'm hesitant to try any other tires because i'm concerned about giving up any range and any changes in road noise and ride comfort, which these all hit spot on for me. Based on what I researched and the seemingly stellar reviews they get, I may consider vredestein quatrac pro too in the future.

Tires are all about compromise, so you have to be honest and realistic with yourself on what you're really prioritizing. For me, it was comfort and range, even though I also value some performance for daily driving. But, at the end of the day, I don't ever drive that fast, and when I do punch it from time to time, it's in a straight line. So, in that respect, I was willing to give up performance for range and comfort.
Gotcha, that makes a lot of sense. What is your wh/mi with that wheel/tire setup?

I am in a similar boat where this is a daily driver for me, so comfort and noise are important but i still value performance its probably comfort > performance > noise.

Gotcha, that makes a lot of sense. What is your wh/mi with that wheel/tire setup?

I am in a similar boat where this is a daily driver for me, so comfort and noise are important but i still value performance its probably comfort > performance > noise.
My range hardly dropped. I was averaging 245 Wh/mi with the stock aeros with covers, and now i'm averaging around 255 Wh/mi with 19s. So roughly 4-5% range loss.

Reactions: SirLaz
My range hardly dropped. I was averaging 245 Wh/mi with the stock aeros with covers, and now i'm averaging around 255 Wh/mi with 19s. So roughly 4-5% range loss.
That is great, and your setup looks really clean, much better than stock IMO! I wouldn't mind a ~5% range hit, but that is prob my max. I'm at 300 wh/mi right now with stock 20s and PS4s. If I can keep my range I would be happy, if I get better range I would be very pleased. I will be dropping about 6lbs per corner with my new setup depending on what tires I go with, but as far as I have read tire width affects range more than weight. These tires actually have a significantly smaller tread width than the 235/35/20 PS4s, 0.5" smaller.

Attaching another photo of 245/40/19 DWS06 plus on a 19x9.5 and the stretch is not bad at all, this tire also has the same tread and section width as the PurContact LS in 245/40

Attachments

• 200602506_240118780872985_675066403900310580_n.jpg
    200602506_240118780872985_675066403900310580_n.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 368
That is great, and your setup looks really clean, much better than stock IMO! I wouldn't mind a ~5% range hit, but that is prob my max. I'm at 300 wh/mi right now with stock 20s and PS4s. If I can keep my range I would be happy, if I get better range I would be very pleased. I will be dropping about 6lbs per corner with my new setup depending on what tires I go with, but as far as I have read tire width affects range more than weight. These tires actually have a significantly smaller tread width than the 235/35/20 PS4s, 0.5" smaller.

Attaching another photo of 245/40/19 DWS06 plus on a 19x9.5 and the stretch is not bad at all, this tire also has the same tread and section width as the PurContact LS in 245/40
Thank you for sharing this. This is a stretch I could definitely live with.

Theoretically, if you're fine with this stretch, and you get the purecontactLS, you would actually gain range because you'll be going from sticky street tires to Grand touring low rolling resistance tires, with a taller side profile to boot. The tire compound affects range more than the width of the tire.

Thank you for sharing this. This is a stretch I could definitely live with.

Theoretically, if you're fine with this stretch, and you get the purecontactLS, you would actually gain range because you'll be going from sticky street tires to Grand touring low rolling resistance tires, with a taller side profile to boot. The tire compound affects range more than the width of the tire.
That would be sweet, although I wonder how the aerodynamics of the wheel will affect range going from 8.5" to 9.5", there might be some poke which might affect range but that is unavoidable.

I am thinking of taking the middle ground and getting the DWS06 plus so a high performance all season. I am in the Bay Area too and plan to go up to Lake Tahoe frequently for the ski season and would like a tire that can go up there and I don't mind putting on chains when needed. Not sure if the grand touring area able to or not, but a max performance summer tire prob wouldn't be the best for that.

That would be sweet, although I wonder how the aerodynamics of the wheel will affect range going from 8.5" to 9.5", there might be some poke which might affect range but that is unavoidable.

I am thinking of taking the middle ground and getting the DWS06 plus so a high performance all season. I am in the Bay Area too and plan to go up to Lake Tahoe frequently for the ski season and would like a tire that can go up there and I don't mind putting on chains when needed. Not sure if the grand touring area able to or not, but a max performance summer tire prob wouldn't be the best for that.
Yeah I go up to snowboard in Tahoe every year too. I haven't taken my model 3 yet, but if you're like me and are selective about powder days, then you'll likely only drive through inclement snow weather (where caltrans require chains on every car) twice or thrice a season at the most.

For the rest of the time, you'll be fine with all-seasons. Grand Touring tires are definitely capable in the snow. You could even look at Vredestein Quatrac Pro, which is a grand touring all season that's even rated as snow tires (can't remember the official stamp it's referred to).

Can't confidently say how much your range will be affected with 9.5" wheels, but based on what I researched, tread width (the part of the tire that makes contact with the road) and the type of compound (grippy versus LRR) are the biggest factors that affect range.