Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a set of 18" Tsportline arachnids with Michelin AS4 and they've been great. Took a little hit on range but I don't really look at it much since I rarely drive that far. The lighter Martian wheels should compensate a bit for the grippier tires. If you care more about comfort over performance the new DWS06 Plus is probably the better option.

Just a BTW: Heavier wheels (and tires) do not impact an EVs range nearly as much as an ICE. True it take more energy to accelerate them but you get 80% of that energy back as regen or nearly 100% coasting... On an ICE, you loose nearly100% of it as brake heat unless you coast completely.

Just thought I’d give everyone an update. With 2,270 miles (90% interstate at 75-85mph) on my 18” T-Sportline TST wheels and MXM4 Tires, my average consumption has remained impressively low at 246wh/mi. In comparison, the 20” OEM (original style, not uberturbine) performance wheels and PS4S and then DWS06 tires had averaged over 300wh/mi over 40,000 miles. I’m really happy with the result and I honestly do not find there to be much of any performance difference in street driving.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
F1A7FE52-21BD-479B-A88D-04DA6DF17DDA.jpeg

Just a BTW: Heavier wheels (and tires) do not impact an EVs range nearly as much as an ICE. True it take more energy to accelerate them but you get 80% of that energy back as regen or nearly 100% coasting... On an ICE, you loose nearly100% of it as brake heat unless you coast completely.
I don’t think I believe that premise exactly. Any extra weight presents an issue whenever you’re not coasting. It’s more mass the car has to overcome not only to get moving but also to push itself along. Rotational mass is the worst kind of extra weight to have too. The heavier the wheels are the higher the moment of inertia to get the wheel to spin. Heavy wheels also add extra unsprung mass which directly impacts the way a car rides and handles. Lighter is better. Imagine trying to hold your arm straight out with a 10lb weight in your hand, then imagine someone adding an extra 10lb weight. The car’s suspension arms are basically doing the same thing. Obviously the more weight the harder your arm has to work to stay extended. If you took a car and tested it back to back with two sets of identical wheels where one weighed 25lbs per wheel and the other set weighed 35lbs per wheel I suspect you would see a significant efficiency difference if you tested on any sort of roadway that wasn’t downhill.

Bent my OEM Performance wheels and needed a quick replacement. Went with Titan-7 TS-5 19x9” +35 and decided to try 235/40Zr19 PS4S on the 9” wheel due to availability and range concerns. They’re probably a bit stretched for some, but not too bad for me. Just have to continue to be careful with curbs. Stock ride height. Weighed 20.4 lbs.

Attachments

• 3E3B71CE-91C6-4D32-AF6A-462DE5108B79.jpeg
    3E3B71CE-91C6-4D32-AF6A-462DE5108B79.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 453
  • 70FB1560-6B22-47B4-AF9E-8B5DAB6B2354.jpeg
    70FB1560-6B22-47B4-AF9E-8B5DAB6B2354.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 477
  • 2DA7A17E-81E1-4C80-AC6B-C7420D4B3E67.jpeg
    2DA7A17E-81E1-4C80-AC6B-C7420D4B3E67.jpeg
    510 KB · Views: 468
Anybody have some recommendations for 20x9 wheel offsets and tire sizes? I'm getting some wheels done up and they can do custom offsets.

Looking for something more aggressive that stock but nothing too crazy. CANNOT rub on Eibach pro-kit.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Bent my OEM Performance wheels and needed a quick replacement. Went with Titan-7 TS-5 19x9” +35 and decided to try 235/40Zr19 PS4S on the 9” wheel due to availability and range concerns. They’re probably a bit stretched for some, but not too bad for me. Just have to continue to be careful with curbs. Stock ride height. Weighed 20.4 lbs.
Buy direct from Titan7?

Got my new wheels/tires installed last night. HRE FF11s in Liquid silver 20x9 all around. Tires are 255/35/20 Continental DWS06 plus. Stock ride height. Really liking the ride quality and the looks. BTW the stock uber wheels/tires easily fit back in the car. :)

Attachments

• 20210724_131503742_iOS copy.jpg
    20210724_131503742_iOS copy.jpg
    801.5 KB · Views: 479
  • 20210724_133000420_iOS copy.jpg
    20210724_133000420_iOS copy.jpg
    799.3 KB · Views: 440
  • 20210723_205102035_iOS copy smaller.jpg
    20210723_205102035_iOS copy smaller.jpg
    861.2 KB · Views: 388
Good luck! I look forward to your post.
Here are some details and initial impressions

New- Martian Wheels MW03 18x7.5 with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 TO 235/45R18. Combined weight 44.2 pounds
OE - Aero wheels 18x8.5 with Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45R18. Combined weight 46.8

So with a savings of about 2.6 pounds at each corner on the new wheel sets I have almost 200 miles. I know not enough to make definitive conclusions but a few things did strike me. The driving was about 20% curvy country roads, 70% highway, and 10% city. I didn't push anything in fact I would say I never went beyond 60% of my comfort or ability. I immediately noticed better turn-in and more predictability on curves. It may not have been as precise as other cars I've had (my benchmark is the Lotus Elise I wish I never sold!) but it didn't feel wobbly at all. On the highway the new set was as quiet as the old and surprisingly things like expansion joints were even quieter and not as jarring. I didn't notice any immediate change in efficiency but I don't think that was a sufficient distance to draw conclusions.

As I gain confidence in them and put on more miles I will share more impressions and data. Initially though, i don't think going with the 7.5 width has made any big difference and may make the driving more comfortable. I'll let you know when I get the nerve up to 80 or 90 percent comfort level :)

Below are some pictures. May not fill out the wheel well but i like the look and I think the offset pushing them out a bit is an improvement.
IMG_3498.JPG
IMG_3497.JPG
IMG_3499.JPG
IMG_3500.JPG

Good luck! I look forward to your post.

New- Martian Wheels MW03 18x7.5 with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 TO 235/45R18. Combined weight 44.2 pounds
OE - Aero wheels 18x8.5 with Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45R18. Combined weight 46.8

So with a savings of about 2.6 pounds at each corner on the new wheel sets I have almost 200 miles. I know not enough to make definitive conclusions but a few things did strike me. The driving was about 20% curvy country roads, 70% highway, and 10% city. I didn't push anything in fact I would say I never went beyond 60% of my comfort or ability. I immediately noticed better turn-in and more predictability on curves. It may not have been as precise as other cars I've had (my benchmark is the Lotus Elise I wish I never sold!) but it didn't feel wobbly at all. On the highway the new set was as quiet as the old and surprisingly things like expansion joints were even quieter and not as jarring. I didn't notice any immediate change in efficiency but I don't think that was a sufficient distance to draw conclusions.

As I gain confidence in them and put on more miles I will share more impressions and data. Initially though, i don't think going with the 7.5 width has made any big difference and may make the driving more comfortable. I'll let you know when I get the nerve up to 80 or 90 percent comfort level :)

Below are some pictures. May not fill out the wheel well but i like the look and I think the offset pushing them out a bit is an improvement.
View attachment 688067View attachment 688068View attachment 688069View attachment 688070

• Funny
Reactions: TwoK4drSi

View attachment 688067View attachment 688068View attachment 688069View attachment 688070
Wow….what happened to their advertised 17.5lbs? Tire rack has the tire at 24lbs. Shouldn’t the combo be under 42lbs?

Oh Martian Martian Martian.

Wow….what happened to their advertised 17.5lbs? Tire rack has the tire at 24lbs. Shouldn’t the combo be under 42lbs?

Oh Martian Martian Martian.
Not to respond to a troll but to assure transparency. I used an inaccurate bathroom scale and had the lug nuts and TPMS on the wheel. I am more concerned about the delta than the absolute weight.

• Funny
Reactions: TwoK4drSi
I don’t think I believe that premise exactly. Any extra weight presents an issue whenever you’re not coasting. It’s more mass the car has to overcome not only to get moving but also to push itself along. Rotational mass is the worst kind of extra weight to have too. The heavier the wheels are the higher the moment of inertia to get the wheel to spin. Heavy wheels also add extra unsprung mass which directly impacts the way a car rides and handles. Lighter is better. Imagine trying to hold your arm straight out with a 10lb weight in your hand, then imagine someone adding an extra 10lb weight. The car’s suspension arms are basically doing the same thing. Obviously the more weight the harder your arm has to work to stay extended. If you took a car and tested it back to back with two sets of identical wheels where one weighed 25lbs per wheel and the other set weighed 35lbs per wheel I suspect you would see a significant efficiency difference if you tested on any sort of roadway that wasn’t downhill.
The other explanation makes more sense but I get what you are trying to say.

The fact here is that a heavier object does take more energy to get moving but once moving has more momentum. Yes, lighter wheels/tires are still better like you said, because of the unsprung mass, but once moving shouldn't take more energy than a lighter wheel. Obviously there are so many factors that in to this, mass, friction of tires and air, speed, etc.