Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to pull the trigger on my wheel and tire setup. Am I missing anything?
2021 M3P
20x9 +30 Front
20x9 +21 Rear
245/35R20 or 255/35R20? (range isn't an issue). I like the look of the 255 on a 9 but 213 pages later it seems like mixed reviews on the 255. The car will be lowered 1-1.2"
Same size and offsets with 245 PS4S. It might be ok with 255 - depends on the tires.

0E78AABB-7B1B-45DB-B053-F99486E8C887.png

255/35. Wh/mi still under 300 normal driving (not babying it). All other questions I’ll defer to @SignatureSales. All I know is that Jamie did countless measurements of tire size and sidewall stretch, wheel, drop, and natural camber calcs to get this setup looking like this. As far as I know I’m the only one with this setup and I’m happy with that. Can’t really get more flush than this.View attachment 706800
Looks great! My experience with Signature SV501 18x9.5 ET30 with Bridgestone Potenza Sport 265/40R18 is similar. Even with the wider tire, I’m averaging about 310 Wh/mi but that obviously goes up a bit on higher speed freeway runs. I’m only about 5-7mm lower on the Redwood GT kit.

6497983C-B3C6-4DB7-A7E5-4741A5C71E6B.jpeg

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
Won’t be an issue and will look better without so much stretch.
Thanks I just wanted to confirm. I JUST lowered the car and bought some 15mm spacers for the Ubers also. So wasn't counting on getting wheels any time soon but the deal crossed my path and I just couldn't pass it up.

BTW - Love the user name and profile pic. I remember that scene from 5th Element and it cracked me up. I must have rewound it a dozen times to watch that scene again. LOL

Reactions: Gimmethecash
Thanks I just wanted to confirm. I JUST lowered the car and bought some 15mm spacers for the Ubers also. So wasn't counting on getting wheels any time soon but the deal crossed my path and I just couldn't pass it up.

BTW - Love the user name and profile pic. I remember that scene from 5th Element and it cracked me up. I must have rewound it a dozen times to watch that scene again. LOL
Sometimes a deal you can’t refuse falls in your lap and you have to take it.

My favorite scene, along with all of the ones with Chris Tucker, I’ve watched the movie so many times…

This is my second update. The first one had more detail about the set up. I am basically interested in whether I made the right decision to go with 7.5 inch wide wheels instead of the OE 8.5 so that is what I was trying to discern in my driving.

After about 700 miles I am overall happy with the decision but there are some issues some of you may be interested in. Regarding efficiency, I haven't noticed much difference (I went from 231 wh/mi to 239 wh/mi) but that could be attributed to greater AC use in the hotter weather. Comfort is as good if not better than the OE set up. The car is certainly quieter which I did not expect. In regular driving the road feel is very good and anything like curving West Virginia roads or cloverleafs can be taken at a somewhat higher rate of speed with good road feel and predictive steering.

Getting to higher speeds, say around 80 percent of my/car ability things start to change. There is certainly more capability but what I would call "wiggliness" starts to show up. Definitely by 90 percent I start to feel like I have to pay more attention and make steering corrections. I would never have had to make these kinds of corrections in the Lotus and the BMW 3 was better planted. Its not something that gives me concern its more of a level of attention I have to give. I could imagine that one a track I could make some overcorrection that might get me in trouble. Since I don't plan to track the car I don't worry about it.

In sum, I think the 7.5 decision was right for 65 year old me. If this were 45 year old me I would think I that a wider wheel would be the way to go. If it sounds like a compromise then I guess that's what it is.
Third update on my "concious compromise". I have 3000 miles on the new tire/wheel combo now and am pleased - although I did change my driving style a bit when attacking curvy roads aggressively. (Michelin Pilot Sport 4 TO 235/45-18 on Martian Wheels MW03 18x7.5 +20).

The set up has worked out well. I drive about 20 percent in the city, 60 percent on the highway, and 20 percent on twisting West Virginia two lane. The ride is very quiet, smoother in tough city driving, and more responsive than the OE aero set up I had. As you can see in the photos consumption has barely changed. The last couple of months have been very hot with lots of AC usage.

My perception about driving aggressively is obviously subjective but here it is. Turn-in is sharp and predictable but in combination eases I felt what I would call some "roll" that made me plan ahead more. Instead of point and shoot that I have felt in some of my cars (the Lotus Elise was the most connected to my hands - did I say I miss that car?) I fell back on my earlier driving lessons to look ahead into a curve. I know I should have been doing that all along but I got lazy. Combining one curve into another is better when I feel for the car taking a set and then aiming ahead for the next curve. (I am probably making all of you with racing experience wince when I describe it that way.) Once I started doing that the car felt more responsive and I was smiling. There is much more performance for me to explore. I am also playing with tire pressure and have gone from 48 psi cold to 45 psi cold (the photo shows pressure at running temp on a hot day).IMG_3637.JPGIMG_3650.JPGIMG_3652.JPGIMG_3654.JPG

Reactions: ss71
Awesome! Do you think you could link me to it if possible? I love it, and your car looks great!

The owner is call Jason, young chinese guy. See if you can get a person contact from him, so you can ask questions. His body kit fitment is great, we had at least 20 cars "group" installed locally by him before COVID started. He makes both wet and dry carbon. Keep in mind, the local price is around 1200usd for wet carbon body kit, 1800-2200usd for dry carbon version. Shipping should be the most costly item.

Trying to decide on which wheel color.

Would love some input. Grey or Satin Black.

19" Tsportline TSS

My 21' LR3 is Red over white with tinted windows.. including pics of Red 3's wearing Grey and Satin Black.
I'm Sticking with 19"s so I can just swap my tires and don't want to lose range with 20"s.. though I do think 20"s would look better.

View attachment 694203View attachment 694204View attachment 694205View attachment 694207
I know I’m late to this post, but I’m trying to make the same decision. I have a red over white M3P coming and want to size down to 19s. I think I’m gonna go with satin black but I’d love to see some pics with whatever you decided.

The owner is call Jason, young chinese guy. See if you can get a person contact from him, so you can ask questions. His body kit fitment is great, we had at least 20 cars "group" installed locally by him before COVID started. He makes both wet and dry carbon. Keep in mind, the local price is around 1200usd for wet carbon body kit, 1800-2200usd for dry carbon version. Shipping should be the most costly item.
Thank you!!