Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted incorrectly on the tire thread at first....

I am looking for feedback on a set of track wheels.

Do yall think I'll be safe with enkei gtc02, 18x10.5+35 with falken rt660 285/30/18 ? Would 275/35/18 be better?

I have the MPP Stoptech BBK (as well as the rest of MPPs suspension components). I've heard mixed feedback on whether there will be caliper clearance issues.

Thanks!

It's tough to answer the caliper clearance question with just width and offset. Different wheels have different pad thickness (part of the wheel that makes contact with the hub). For example, if it's a thin pad and you have concave spokes, you could still hit the caliper with a lower offset. Some wheels are designed specifically with high pads (even at high offsets) for brake clearance.

Best way to determine clearance would be to take a measurement caliper to see what type of wheel face dimensions you need for your caliper, then pull up the measurement specs of the wheel (should be available on manufacturer site).

Good luck!

I've at one point gone through all 200 some odd pages and possibly missed it, but has anyone used a 20" wheel with a 20mm backspace on the front of a M3P? I want a specific wheel (and the original plan was a 30mm backspacing but they seem to be on an indefinite backorder) but a 20mm version of that wheel is. I know I'll be limited to a 245/30 tire but I don't plan on tracking the car but will enjoy a curvy road on occasion (hell, the dragon is 45 minutes from my house!).

Thank you in advance for any information that you have to offer!

I've at one point gone through all 200 some odd pages and possibly missed it, but has anyone used a 20" wheel with a 20mm backspace on the front of a M3P? I want a specific wheel (and the original plan was a 30mm backspacing but they seem to be on an indefinite backorder) but a 20mm version of that wheel is. I know I'll be limited to a 245/30 tire but I don't plan on tracking the car but will enjoy a curvy road on occasion (hell, the dragon is 45 minutes from my house!).

Thank you in advance for any information that you have to offer!

We really need to know the width and offset of your wheels to answer this :)

Got some new shoes

One of my old tires got a pinhole in the sidewall the gradually escalated to a tire that couldn't hold air for more than a few hours. Since the tires were coming towards the end of their lives anyway, just decided to get 4 new ones. I've been wanting some lightweight rims too so figured this was a good time to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Ordered from Tirerack, mounted, balanced, and delivered to my door in 2 days. Went with Kojins from Enkei, they're 18"x8" and weigh 20lbs per rim. Tires are Continentals, 235/45R18. My old wheels were the 19x8.5"" sports from Tesla. Tires were 235/40R19. They weighed 25lbs per rim.

Overall very pleased!

IMG-1301.jpg

IMG-1304.jpg

Attachments

• 78F59342-B92F-4951-B9D5-1C9D39DA7A31.JPG
    78F59342-B92F-4951-B9D5-1C9D39DA7A31.JPG
    701.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG-1268.jpg
    IMG-1268.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 82
Got some new shoes

One of my old tires got a pinhole in the sidewall the gradually escalated to a tire that couldn't hold air for more than a few hours. Since the tires were coming towards the end of their lives anyway, just decided to get 4 new ones. I've been wanting some lightweight rims too so figured this was a good time to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Ordered from Tirerack, mounted, balanced, and delivered to my door in 2 days. Went with Kojins from Enkei, they're 18"x8" and weigh 20lbs per rim. Tires are Continentals, 235/45R18. My old wheels were the 19x8.5"" sports from Tesla. Tires were 235/40R19. They weighed 25lbs per rim.

Overall very pleased!

View attachment 712571
View attachment 712570
Offset on Kojins was 40mm btw

Mounted HRE FF04s 20x9 ET35 in tarmac (satin black) on Conti DWS06+ 255/35/20 squared up. Tried the Michelin A/S 4s but those were a tad too tall and rubbed the uca. Really happy with the look so far!

Just received MPP Coilovers which will be installed in a few weeks. Will post an update after lowering the height by an inch.

DDC87845-7E2A-43F3-982C-2A6450329097.jpeg
E293BA8C-F19E-4749-8F6B-70960EE700B7.jpeg

Reactions: Lindenwood
What do folks think of 20X9 Zero-G Performance wheels for the street/track usage? I like 20'', so not ready to go with 18/19''. I also understand that these are cast wheels, not forged. But they look so good. Anyone has good/bas experiences with them?

What do folks think of 20X9 Zero-G Performance wheels for the street/track usage? I like 20'', so not ready to go with 18/19''. I also understand that these are cast wheels, not forged. But they look so good. Anyone has good/bas experiences with them?
For that price I think evannex is offering forged versions of the zero-g wheels for the same price as Tesla. They've been hyped by Tesla and they frankly in my estimation are a disappointment. Very heavy and not much stronger than the stock OEM rims if any more durable at all.

For what it's worth, using 245/35 tires on the zero G will result in a slower 0-60, albeit marginally, due to the taller sidewall. It's possible to use 235/35 but there potentially will be the appearance of a slight stretch, in my opinion.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, using 245/35 tires on the zero G will result in a slower 0-60, albeit marginally, due to the taller sidewall. It's possible to use 235/35 but there will be a slight stretch.
Technically speaking no. Sidewall width of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tesla spec tire is 9.5 in. "Stretch" means that the rim mounting surface is wider than the sidewall. You are unfortunately continuing the dissemination of misinformation on this point. This just means that that tire on a 9 inch rim is not significantly squeezed. But not squeezed is not the same as stretched.

Technically speaking no. Sidewall width of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tesla spec tire is 9.5 in. "Stretch" means that the rim mounting surface is wider than the sidewall. You are unfortunately continuing the dissemination of misinformation on this point. This just means that that tire on a 9 inch rim is not significantly squeezed. But not squeezed is not the same as stretched.
Okay, i'll include that there will be a slight stretch subjectively, that way there's no misinformation.

Okay, i'll include that there will be a slight stretch subjectively, that way there's no misinformation.
I think what you mean is that if you see compressed as neutral this will appear to the modestly sophisticated as stretched. Unfortunately, there are lots of folks with minimal sophistication buying the idea that these mounting situations involve stretching the tire which lots of folks believe is bad news (and to be clear severe stretching is definitely bad news but modest stretching has been used for a long time in the autocross Community). So unfortunately even though you're not trying to contribute to misinformation this kind of statement inadvertently does just that.

Last edited: