Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'll be honest with the group. I don't know much about wheel conversions or changeovers. I'm about to purchase a LR M3 with the 18" Aero Wheels because I want to get the maximum possible range. However, I'm not crazy about the rims even if I take the covers off. I like the look of the "Sport" wheels that Tesla offers but I don't want to step up to a 19" size and lose range.

My goal in a wheel changeover:
  • Keep the 18" wheel size so I can stay as close to the estimated maximum range of 358 miles as possible.
  • Upgrade the tire quality as much as possible so we get the best combination of handling and ride comfort.
So for example, if I were to go with the Tsportline 18" TST wheels, how exactly would I set/order that? Would I need 235, 8.5W 40mm Offset tires on both front and back with the rims to stay at around that 358 range? Do the tires come with the rims, or they are sold separately? In a previous post @Daniel in SD & @Tdave mentioned using Michelin Pilot tires as the gold standard. Are those the best tires for range efficiency?

Keeping in mind the points I listed above. Suggestions?

By the way I'm open to other brands. Just using Tsportline as an example because we like the "Sport" look of those rims. But open to other rim styles too.
I lost 10% efficiency with 265/40R18 PS4S tires on 18x9.5 rims. I'm guessing 235s on aero wheels would be much closer to stock efficiency.
This articles says the aero covers improve efficiency by 3.4%: Our Testing Shows Tesla Model 3 Aero Wheel Covers Really Do Improve Efficiency
I'm guessing any normal looking rim would be about the same loss.

Reactions: Atraf
So I'll be honest with the group. I don't know much about wheel conversions or changeovers. I'm about to purchase a LR M3 with the 18" Aero Wheels because I want to get the maximum possible range. However, I'm not crazy about the rims even if I take the covers off. I like the look of the "Sport" wheels that Tesla offers but I don't want to step up to a 19" size and lose range.

• Keep the 18" wheel size so I can stay as close to the estimated maximum range of 358 miles as possible.
  • Upgrade the tire quality as much as possible so we get the best combination of handling and ride comfort.
So for example, if I were to go with the Tsportline 18" TST wheels, how exactly would I set/order that? Would I need 235, 8.5W 40mm Offset tires on both front and back with the rims to stay at around that 358 range? Do the tires come with the rims, or they are sold separately? In a previous post @Daniel in SD & @Tdave mentioned using Michelin Pilot tires as the gold standard. Are those the best tires for range efficiency?

By the way I'm open to other brands. Just using Tsportline as an example because we like the "Sport" look of those rims. But open to other rim styles too.

For anyone looking for aero style efficiency, I'd get the ones posted in this thread. They're the least ugly of the cover type wheels I've seen.

You're not going to stay close to the 358 mile range with aftermarket wheels, except for perhaps the Fast Wheels EV01 with the covers on. Expect a 3-5% drop with aftermarket wheels (same tire size). I would do a bit more research and looking through this thread. You have much to learn :)

Any chance that the 19" Sport wheels Tesla has for the M3 can be ordered from Tesla in a 18"?

No, but the T-Sportline TST wheels are a pretty close clone of them.

[this reply is about tires only]

@Bronco7777 Michelin has a lot of tires named "Pilot <something>," it's their branding for performance-oriented tires across many categories, from winter tires to DOT-legal track/race tires. (Especially "Pilot Sport" branding.)

In general, performance-oriented tires will be less efficient than tires focused more on efficiency and long tread life, like the Michelin MXM4 that the Model 3 18" wheels usually come with. Everything with tires is a tradeoff. The MXM4 are long-lasting, efficient, and quiet (at least in Tesla spec with the foam liner). However they drive like wet poop in my opinion - very poor grip and road feel. I haven't used them on a Model 3 but I have on a Model S and I never want them again, no matter how efficient they are.

So to some extent you have to pick your priorities. You'll not find MXM4 level efficiency (or tread life) in a good a performance tire.

Now as for ride comfort, that does vary across tires, but in my opinion if you stick with 18" wheels and appropriate sidewall (stock tire diameter or similar) that's enough sidewall for good ride comfort from even a stiff performance tire. E.g. for sure MXM4 ride smoother in 245/45 than my Bridgestone Potenza Sport in 245/45, but even the Potenza Sport ride perfectly fine in that size...it helps to have some sidewall. :) Ride quality is of course very subjective and filled with personal preferences. Personally I don't like super soft sidewalls because I don't like the resulting mushy handling feel. It's like compensating for poor ride quality from the suspension.

Reactions: superflyrolla
unnamed.jpg

Reactions: oreobbq and ss71
I haven't posted these before, so here is my setup. I was thinking of starting a thread for only japanese wheels since that is an interesting/more rare subset of aftermarket wheels on Teslas, but wasn't sure if that was allowed. This setup saves almost 60 lbs. of unsprung weight over the stock wheels/tire. The care definitely feels a bit quicker.

Volk TE37SL 18x9.5 ET35 in pressed graphite
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 265/40/18
Rays Forged center caps and valve stem caps
Tesla stock TPMS sensors/valve stems
Muteki Hubcentric rings
Rays Duralumin lugs
Suspension is stock.

Volks on car.jpg
volks on car2.jpg
profile.jpg

@EcoCloudIT I'm new to all this. When you say "Lower it" can you explain in further detail?
I have Unplugged Performance Springs (and Unplugged Performance Swaybars) installed on my M3P. They're dual rated linear springs so not only increase general ride comfort however also create a better handling car in corners....they also lower the car

I haven't posted these before, so here is my setup. I was thinking of starting a thread for only japanese wheels since that is an interesting/more rare subset of aftermarket wheels on Teslas, but wasn't sure if that was allowed. This setup saves almost 60 lbs. of unsprung weight over the stock wheels/tire. The care definitely feels a bit quicker.

Volk TE37SL 18x9.5 ET35 in pressed graphite
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 265/40/18
Rays Forged center caps and valve stem caps
Tesla stock TPMS sensors/valve stems
Muteki Hubcentric rings
Rays Duralumin lugs
Suspension is stock.

View attachment 773274View attachment 773275View attachment 773276
I'm pretty sure these are my old wheels. You got these from Tapia right?