Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket wheels, specs and affects (not a range thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this post in another thread regarding some pretty sweet Advan wheels:

Those
I really would like to know the bolt pattern and offset for the Tesla Model S. Hopefully that information will be released soon. I am a wheel guy and I have a set of Advans that I would love to throw on the Tesla. They are lightweight 20" wheels that have a gorgeous concave face that I think would compliment the S very well.

ADVAN Wheels - AVS Model T5

22 lbs for the 20" wheel

1. Does anybody have the full, definitive specs for 19", 20", and 21" (aftermarket) wheel requirements for the MS. Wheel dimensions, offset, and correct tire size?

2. Does anybody know how much the OEM 19's and 21's for the MS weigh?

3. Does anybody know what would happen to the odometer, range computer, etc. if you put 20's on there, with the "closest match tire size"?

4. Other structural (not aesthetic or range) considerations?

Thanks in advance.

you're welcome! quick and dirty summary:

OEM specs: 5x120 bolt pattern, 40mm offset, 64mm centerbore, hubcentric, M14x1.5 lugs with 170 N/m torque; per Jerry 33 (our resident wheel expert), don't want more than +/- 4mm on the new offset or +/- 2% on the revs/mile (anything more would prob need your speedometer/odometer calibrated)

Not to be critical, but that wheel design (split-5 spoke) is not especially distinctive -- it's a standard design for many wheel manufacturers. I have a set of SSR's just like them on my Honda S2000. Bought them about ten years ago. They're not unlike the Tesla 19" wheels for Model S.

Last edited:
Not to be critical, but that wheel design (split-5 spoke) is not especially distinctive -- it's a standard design for many wheel manufacturers. I have a set of SSR's just like them on my Honda S2000. Bought them about ten years ago. They're not unlike the Tesla 19" wheels for Model S.

A number of items on the Model S seem to have been designed to work/look one way, and alternate choices are "just enough to say it's offered". So if you don't get the Pano roof you lose headroom and the rack anchors. If you don't get the performance version you don't get metal pedals, etc.

Agreed. I improperly suggested that I wanted to buy those specific wheels. What I really want is something light with a concave setup (better for curb rash), and a bit more open than the turbine 21's (to show off the calipers a bit more). I need something to occupy my mind until I get my car!

Thanks all for the info. Any sense for what the stock 21's weigh?

35 pounds is VERY heavy!

bmw stock 19's weight 25

racing monoblocks can be as low as 16 pounds!

Losing rotational mass can make the car more efficient, be faster off the line, and have better suspension response.
if they really are 35 pounds thats horrible!

35 pounds is VERY heavy!

bmw stock 19's weight 25

racing monoblocks can be as low as 16 pounds!

Losing rotational mass can make the car more efficient, be faster off the line, and have better suspension response.
if they really are 35 pounds thats horrible!

Rotational mass distribution makes a difference; the closer to the hub the weight is, the less roational momentum it causes/carries.

That is my primary reason for wanting aftermarket wheels. Better performance, better range, and the exact look I want. I have contacted HRE also about getting a set made for the S but I think I am still going to go with the Advans due to the rediculously light weight and clean look.

That is my primary reason for wanting aftermarket wheels. Better performance, better range, and the exact look I want. I have contacted HRE also about getting a set made for the S but I think I am still going to go with the Advans due to the rediculously light weight and clean look.

Do you have your car yet, and if so, please post when you get your ADVANSs. Pictures, and range before-after!