Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Wheels/Tires/TPMS :: My Enkei Setup (Photos & Info)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS AT THE END OF MY POST!

After enjoying my 2010 Tesla Roadster for a few weeks, I decided that I felt the car would look better with a +1 wheel setup. This means instead of running 16” front and 17” rear wheels, I’d instead upgrade to a 17”/18” combo. Did my research, talked to a few owners and folks who have played around ... and put together something that works for me.

For those who may want this info.... my car had the factory Forged wheels, and here is the pertinent info:
  • Front: 16x6,0 ET 25
  • Rear: 17x7,5 ET 38
  • Weight (Front): 14.6 lbs
  • Weight (Rear): 19.9 lbs
  • Bolt Pattern: 5x110
  • Hub Bore: 65.1 mm
  • Front Tires: 175/55-16 (non-sport)
  • Front Tires: 195/50-16 (sport)
  • Rear Tires: 225/45-17
  • Torque: 105 NM
  • Bolts: Conical M12 x 1.5 x 26mm
After digging around, I found some useful info that I assembled. Here are one of the more common front/rear tires sizes, as well as wheel sizes that MAY FIT:
  • Front Tires: 205/45-17 XL
  • Rear Tires: 235/40-18 XL
  • Front: 17x7 +24 to +44 **
  • Front: 17x7.5 +30 to +40 **
  • Rear: 18x8 +30 to +42 **
** NOTE: Wheel fitiment isn’t just based on width and offset. There are other factors, like the spoke pattern. Having the spokes clear the brake caliper, for example. The above data should be used as a guideline only!

Ultimately, I found there weren’t many 5x110 wheel options on the market. I’m still contemplating some other wheels that will require spacers, but for now I wanted something different and put together a wheel setup from Tire Rack. They don’t have measurements for a Roadster (someone should do something about that— its only ~5 hour drive for me, so maybe I will soon). But I was able to figure out what should fit, and pulled the trigger on these:
  • Wheel Brand: Enkei
  • Wheel Style: EV5
  • Front: 17x7,0 ET 38
  • (P/N: 446-770-5238HB)
  • Rear: 18x7,5 ET 38
  • (P/N: 446-875-5238HB)
  • Weight (Front): ~21 lbs
  • Weight (Rear): ~22 lbs
  • Bolt Pattern: 5x110 / 5x105
  • Hub Bore: 72.6 mm
  • Front Tires: 195/45-17 XL
  • Rear Tires: 225/40-18 XL
  • Tire Brand: Yokohama
  • Tire Style: S.Drive XL
  • Spacers: 15 MM (Front/Rear)
Now the keen reader will note that I’m using different tires than what other people run. There are a few reasons for this. First off, the tire sizes other folks run are taller overall, which I wasn’t sure I wanted to do. Secondly, the wheels I went with are only 7,5” wide rear, which wasn’t really ideal for a 235mm tire. Sadly, this meant that I was forced into the Yokohama S-drive tires, which were NOT my first pick (there were other options in the 205/45-17 + 235/40-18 combo that fit my desires better). In my next setup I may try to find a wider rear wheel option.

Overall, this setup adds 7 to 8 lbs per axle. My initial driving reaction is that the added weight is not something most of us would perceive, at least in the acceleration or handling department. However, there is a very small awareness in the braking, though nothing that would make me unhappy. Generally speaking the delta in weight is not significant here for most of us.

Tire-wise, however, these S.drive tires are not as sticky as the stock setup. BUT... what you get is an amazing increase in ride comfort and noise. It is like turning the volume down — and a LOT! There is a ride comfort and noise reduction that make the overall enjoyment of the Yokohama S.drive tires notable. Around the twists the tires are predictable, even if not quite as much G-force pull. I need to put more miles on them to really speak my piece there— and I know they are amazing in the wet/rain should that occur. Over the rough roads of Cleveland, though, they are a great choice if you plan to put on a fair share of miles (esp with these nice treadwear rating).

As you’ll see in the details above and the photos below, I’m running spacers. In order for the front wheels to clear the caliper, this was a necessity. And for the rear wheels, it wasn’t so much needed as much as it made them flush, and gave the front-and-rear a more matching aesthetic appeal. For those who worry about spacers and their safety, you can find plenty of great articles on the matter, to which I’ll share this one:
Wheel spacer safety, and the physics of keeping the wheels on

All told this setup includes: wheels (Enkei EV5) staggered, with Yokohama tires, new BaoLong TPMS installed (which will need coded by local service center). The setup includes hub centric rings from Tire Rack pre-installed in the wheels. The spacers are 4x (one per corner) at 15mm. Each spacer came with 15mm longer wheel bolts, too (eBay purchased). Total investment is less than $1,700 for wheels, tires, sensors, rings, bolts, spacers, the whole monte! Not a bad price... and yes these are cast wheels, so not as light/strong as the factory ... but again for 99% of us that won’t matter.

If you have any questions or I left out any details please let me know— be happy to help answer them! And now, onto the fun stuff.... PHOTOS!

fbcb7186-5d24-4ac4-ae3d-c02dd46bdaab.jpeg

fdbb7b87-7ec6-4fca-b271-550be22bb644.jpeg

7292b095-070e-4920-af03-0cdcee66e39b.jpeg

2a0acaae-5800-4ec2-969e-2ded0d2ca3bb.jpeg

e9b13cfd-4b8e-42aa-a9f3-edd5f737a621.jpeg

ab9ea9a1-c04b-487a-869e-050d684eba0d.jpeg

b39e7e0b-0343-4e92-9eac-d20e4425adef.jpeg

7b7f6800-aa0b-4fee-862c-e64da83678e2.jpeg

231fb3e0-55e6-4da2-8efd-3e2e15ac8a65.jpeg

3d3eefcf-74fa-43b6-876f-57aa0d327b70.jpeg

front stick out more than the rear forsure with those spacers... sounds like the only option is custom made rims. 110 bolt pattern isn't common at all.

Front wheels only needed maybe 2-3mm spacing to clear the calipers. I opted to keep the spacers the same at all four corners, because if anyone other than me works on the car the wheel bolts would be interchangeable. That said, you could easily just buy less aggressive front spacers and make it sit more precise. Or just add another 3-5mm spacing to the rear.

Bottom line: there are options to dial this setup, or similar setups, into a more precise fashion. But yes, if you have the money to buy custom made wheels that is always the best option. And also the most expensive. ;)

Not on a car this collectible. I’ll want the original wheels for the next owner. Which is why they have a brand new set of tires on them, ready to go for that purpose. But MsJulie was selling a set of the OE forged wheels on here, go look in the classified section.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize there was a classified section on here, I don't leave the Roadster section of the forum.

Reactions: arijaycomet
Thanks for the info @arijaycomet, do you have a link to where you found the spacers? I definitively need those on mine as well (got a 18"/19" setup):
View attachment 354019

hi Moge,

the car just look much better with the 18” 19” wheels. It seems that, including the tires, the diameter is larger than the OEM one. Right? Have you got error messages and any another issue after using the wheels? Would you mind sharing your wheel and tire technical information?

thanks in advance!

hi Moge,

the car just look much better with the 18” 19” wheels. It seems that, including the tires, the diameter is larger than the OEM one. Right? Have you got error messages and any another issue after using the wheels? Would you mind sharing your wheel and tire technical information?

thanks in advance!

Hi,

No, haven't gotten any errors. However I have opted not to install TPMS on the wheels, so that might be a part of the reason not getting any error messages.

Here's what I ended up doing...

The rears are 17x8 with 245/40 on them. The offset is 30, so the extra width and offset bring the outer edge right to the limit. The bolt pattern and center bore were spot on. I was able to use the OEM lug bolts.

The fronts are the OEM rear wheels that I plasti coated...I will end up painting these gloss black to match the rears. These are 17x7.5 with 205/40 on them. I added a 8mm spacer on both fronts to account for the offset difference and thus had to use longer bolts.

Both the overall diameters of the fronts and rears are within a tenth or two of the originals so no problems with traction control or regen braking.

Attachments

• IMG_2794.JPG
    IMG_2794.JPG
    468.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2793.JPG
    IMG_2793.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2787.JPG
    IMG_2787.JPG
    565.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Informative
Reactions: drewski