Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Wheels Too Expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just don't go to the track with plastic rings, and don't live aluminum rings on steel hubs for too long.
A touch of anti-sieze helps a lot if you run AL rings
I have run plastic rings at the track even to the point of purple rotors, brake fade, and wheels so hot you can't touch them, but the rings have been fine. They do tend to get bound up on the hub though, but it's not like they melt completely or fail or become unusable.

I have lost more than one wheel center cap on the track in my life (not Tesla) when they get soft though.

Last edited:
Yep - That's why it helps to have a qualified professional working with you.
Load capacity is in every wheel spec and is generally printed right on the wheel. It doesn't take a professional.
You really think your average, local Discount Tire person went through an analysis like this one to know what is acceptable?

Reactions: Lindenwood
A touch of anti-sieze helps a lot if you run AL rings
I have run plastic rings at the track even to the point of purple rotors, brake fade, and wheels so hot you can't touch them, but the rings have been fine. They do tend to get bound up on the hub though, but it's not like they melt completely or fail or become unusable.
I had to cut mine to remove and put stock wheels back on, not on a Tesla though.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Is swapping 2x a year between summer and winter sets frequent enough to avoid centering rings seizing up on the hubs? (That's directed at anyone who feels confident in their answer/experience.)

Granted I don't live where it snows (or even rains a lot), but I apply a bit of anti-seize to the hub face/metal hub rings each time I reinstall the wheels that use them. I haven't had an issue with a metal hub ring seizing onto a hub, but I did have a metal wheel spacer seize before...

I haven't had any issues (or the need for anti-seize) on plastic hub rings with street use only wheels.

You really think your average, local Discount Tire person went through an analysis like this one to know what is acceptable?
Nope, which is why my DT guy (who has 20+ years of experience) is my friend and wheel/tire advisor. He’s also gone to bat for me with Tire and Wheel suppliers when needed and gotten me some ridiculously great deals.

Helps to develop a relationship with a guy and company.

Reactions: tom @ eas
Nope, which is why my DT guy (who has 20+ years of experience) is my friend and wheel/tire advisor. He’s also gone to bat for me with Tire and Wheel suppliers when needed and gotten me some ridiculously great deals.

+1, it goes both ways. I've seen cases of very reputable companies employ clueless salespeople that are only interested in sales, instead of recommending the correct part.

A lot of it boils down to the individual you are working with.

Path 1: Go to a bunch of tire shops and hang out until you become friends with someone who actually ends up knowing what they are talking about. Do not buy wheels until this occurs. Do not move for a better job in the middle of this. Hope they don't change jobs or retire either. Have them custom order you wheels that aren't normally available for a price nobody else can get. Tell everyone that they should only buy wheels this way.

Repeat this for windshields, shock absorbers, cell phones, office chairs, and socks.

Path 2: Spend one evening learning what makes a tire/wheel fit a car. Order on internet or in a store. Enjoy. Retain this knowledge for the rest of your life.

LOL - okay - you win.

Your knowledge of everything wheel- and tire-related clearly outweighs that of the collection of knowledge of the largest tire and wheel retailer in the US. (which has 10 stores in your immediate area, but you wouldn’t know that because you’re a rugged individualist with the intarweb and a credit card who doesn’t need anyone’s help, LEAST of all an expert)

Nah - that’s too easy - much better to buy from random e-tailers located wherever and hope whatever you buy works/fits and if it doesn’t, it’s your a** and your time and effort to rectify it.

If anything ever doesn’t work that I buy from the retailer, it’s on THEM to figure it out. I’m glad you have the time - I don’t.

Seriously, why so angry bro?

Goes back to my original comment:

You apparently can’t live with “YMMV”.

That’s sad, but 🤷‍♂️

(which has 10 stores in your immediate area, but you wouldn’t know that because you’re a rugged individualist with the intarweb and a credit card who doesn’t need anyone’s help, LEAST of all an expert)
I have 4 aftermarket sets of wheels in my garage for my Model 3 right now Every single one was bought from Discount Tire. They have good prices and good customer service.

However, I don't have time to make friends with the 29 year old behind the counter, nor do I trust them universally to be experts. My brother once worked at a Discount Tire for 6 months, and he's not a tire/wheel expert. So I don't rely on asking them what I should buy. Even per your description, it's not all DT employees- it's only ones you have a close personal relationship with that also have 20+ years at DT. This is literally an impossible standard for everyone to have and DT to stay in business.

I have 3 cars in the Discount Tire system because I've had to "lie" to them multiple times to get them to sell me something since they say it won't fit. My last fun one is "it's illegal to mount these tires without TPMS installed" on loose wheels. That car magically became a 2007 mustang. So like I said, sure, they won't sell you something that won't fit, but they will also highly limit what you CAN buy (and they were going to put the wrong TPMS in anyway, which sure, they would have fixed after another multi-hour appointment, so much time savings!)

What's weird is they have never refused to sell me a wheel that needs a hub centering ring for the car it's being mounted on, despite being experts. They have refused to sell me wheels with the wrong offset though ;)

"Trust the experts" is kinda YMMV these days...

@CreoUCLA Yeah Spec.B was where it was at! LGT with better suspension and the 6MT (+ torsen R180?) in later years. Plus dat red leather right? I was set on wagon and there was no Spec.B wagon... :( If there was I probably would've bought it.
Red leather was only on '06, which wasn't a proper spec.b. I had an 08, also followed by an STI hatch, with a BRZ thrown in for good measure.
It took a few track days to appreciate what it could do on the racetrack. At first the car was understeer city at the limit. I read more and realized I was driving it wrong, I was trying to drive it like a textbook 50/50 RWD sports car, which a Subaru is not. 😄 I started trail braking and it made a world of difference. Get the STI rotating going into a turn and then you could get on the gas and the DCCD would keep that rotation all the way through, holding all 4 wheels right at the edge of grip, extremely neutral with the tiniest hint of oversteer. It would do that even through the longest sweeping turns. Didn't matter that the suspension had lots of steady-state understeer on its own, DCCD would take care of that, as long as you got the car rotating initially with some trail braking.
I'm finding the model 3, despite a very different powertrain/weight distribution, to be kind of receptive to the same driving style at least at autox.

Reactions: CreoUCLA and tm1v2
Red leather was only on '06, which wasn't a proper spec.b. I had an 08, also followed by an STI hatch, with a BRZ thrown in for good measure.

Hey, don't knock my red leather, either... 😛 But I definitely would have preferred the 2007 with the 6MT + black leather/blue alcantara interior.

Still, the Legacy was my favorite Subaru (having owned a 2003 WRX wagon, 2004 WRX STi, 2005/2008 Forester XTs, and a 2009 WRX STi);

Hey, don't knock my red leather, either... 😛 But I definitely would have preferred the 2007 with the 6MT + black leather/blue alcantara interior.

Still, the Legacy was my favorite Subaru (having owned a 2003 WRX wagon, 2004 WRX STi, 2005/2008 Forester XTs, and a 2009 WRX STi);

In retrospect, my favorite Subaru was an 05' LGT wagon that I stupidly replaced with a Spec.b.
I also regret selling those BBS REs you have on the pic, which I had painted in gold ;)
xmphy43-lr.jpg

• Love
Reactions: tm1v2 and CreoUCLA
MPP blue would look pretty good on a WRB Subaru (World Rally Blue). Just sayin'. If they do come out with a quad motor EV STI you'll come through for us right? :cool:
Only if it is a good car that inspires us! We had all kinds of people asking for Mach-E parts and as it turns out, that car can't go full throttle for more than 5 seconds.