Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Wheels - What are you getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good comment - weight kills range - my on my third Tesla and highly recommend getting the lightest wheel tire combo you can afford. The TST's are heavy - also when you are looking at tires check the weight too.. there is a huge difference between brands and types.

Try and buy the cheapest Forged Aluminum 6061-T6 wheels you can find - we might even be able to do a group buy specifically for the Model 3 if we all agree on size and offset. Excess wheel weight will KILL your range - this is why I have dumped my 21's on all three model S's I have owned. The 21's Inch Tesla Arachnids are forged aluminum 6061-T6 and they are about 30 lbs lighter (for four) than the 21 inch cast Tesla Stock wheels once mounted with the lightest rubber - just to give you a comparison. They are even lighter than the Tesla 19 inch cast wheels as well and still weigh about 5 lbs less than the 19's!!!! Dont waste your monies on aftermarket lipstick for heavier wheels on an electric car if need the range and like the acceleration and performance..... link here on A
Disclaimer: this may be a stupid question but...

Is the 30-40 lbs (total for a set of 4 20-inch wheels) in additional weight at the wheels worse for range than, say, having an extra 40 lbs of weight in your trunk or cabin? Is this one of those unsprung/sprung weight issues? Appreciate it if someone could explain it to me as if I know very little/nothing about such things =) TIA

Disclaimer: this may be a stupid question but...

Is the 30-40 lbs (total for a set of 4 20-inch wheels) in additional weight at the wheels worse for range than, say, having an extra 40 lbs of weight in your trunk or cabin? Is this one of those unsprung/sprung weight issues? Appreciate it if someone could explain it to me as if I know very little/nothing about such things =) TIA

Its actually an excellent question. The answer is no - think more like a factor of 10X cargo weight (depending on what gear you are in)... the weight we are talking about is rotational inertia which has a HUGE impact on acceleration, braking.

• Informative
Reactions: SoCalGuy
All the track races where you see the Tesla P100D smoking everything else are running on Forged or CARBON FIBER wheels and usually have a modified brake rotors that are lighter than the stockers. They also dont run on 21's!!!! (they can and do, but the it is not the most optimum setup).

I can't wait to see you guys out their smoking everyone with you sub 5 second stock Model 3's with Forged 17/ 18 inch wheels and light weight tires... once the P 3 D comes out alot of people are going to get a huge surprise at the performance level with a good forged wheel setup. Also I believe you can get used BMW forged wheels that fit the Model 3 too.... so do some homework on ebay to see what you find...

Side benefit is the range will increase as well if you are into the hyper-mill club - just please stay out of the fast lane when you doing this...all the good hyper-millers know you fall in behind a semi-....

Last edited:
All the track races where you see the Tesla P100D smoking everything else are running on Forged or CARBON FIBER wheels and usually have a modified brake rotors that are lighter than the stockers. They also dont run on 21's!!!! (they can and do, but the it is not the most optimum setup).

I can't wait to see you guys out their smoking everyone with you sub 5 second stock Model 3's with Forged 17/ 18 inch wheels and light weight tires... once the P 3 D comes out alot of people are going to get a huge surprise at the performance level with a good forged wheel setup. Also I believe you can get used BMW forged wheels that fit the Model 3 too.... so do some homework on ebay to see what you find...

Side benefit is the range will increase as well if you are into the hyper-mill club - just please stay out of the fast lane when you doing this...all the good hyper-millers know you fall in behind a semi-....
Are the stock wheels forged?

Got it thanks - so all we need now is for Tesla or a good reputable aftermarket shop to create some forged silver turbine 20s for the M3 that don't cost an arm and a leg...

I wouldn't get 20's, 19 is probably best - larger does not increase performance or range - lighter does. The stockers are 18 and weigh 23 lbs. Damn there is no way the Arachnids will fit due to the PCD being 5 X 114.3... that also means the BMW wheels that fit the S will not fit the 3... arrggghhh more research to do..

Model 3 Stock wheel specs:
  • Size: 18X8.5"
  • Offset: +40
  • PCD: 5X114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Weight: 21.6 lbs (Without Aero Cover), 23 lbs (With Aero Cover)
  • Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
  • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft
  • Price: No Charge
  • Tire Spec: Michelin Primacy MXM4, 235/45-18, 98W
  • Details: This is the original base model wheel that comes with every Tesla Model 3 free of charge.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Schowtyme
I wouldn't get 20's, 19 is probably best - larger does not increase performance or range - lighter does. The stockers are 18 and weigh 23 lbs. Damn there is no way the Arachnids will fit due to the PCD being 5 X 114.3... that also means the BMW wheels that fit the S will not fit the 3... arrggghhh more research to do..

• Size: 18X8.5"
  • Offset: +40
  • PCD: 5X114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Weight: 21.6 lbs (Without Aero Cover), 23 lbs (With Aero Cover)
  • Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
  • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft
  • Price: No Charge
  • Tire Spec: Michelin Primacy MXM4, 235/45-18, 98W
  • Details: This is the original base model wheel that comes with every Tesla Model 3 free of charge.
I just like the look of the 20s more than the 19s. 20s are what they had on the alphas in the M3 reveal

I like girls in high heels too until I have to walk quickly with them to make to dinner on time....

20's will be slower and will provide no improvement in range, handling, or acceleration. They just look pretty and every 3 equiped with 18 inch or 19 inch forged and light weight tires will out gun you every time. (if that matters to you is a personal thing - maybe looks matter more to you).. more mass, more money, less range, less acceleration and more road side assistance calls for your non-spec 20 inch wheels --- no thanks been there and done that for hours...(remember these cars have no spare).. you need some rubber between you and the road to prevent wheel damage.

The title of article below should be titled UPGRADING to 19's from 21's

Downgrading to 19″ Wheels

Here is a short timeline of my tire experience:

• 19” cost : (300 + 180) x4 = $1920 - (every three years)
  • 21” cost: 500 + 2x 375 + 2 x 375 = $2000 (annually)
  • March 2014 – four new tires (mileage 12,500)
  • March 2014 – pothole damage, one new tire (mileage 12,600)
  • Spring 2014 – cross country road trip in Model S
  • June 2014 – four new tires (mileage 26,000)
  • July 2014 – new camber arms
  • October 2014 – nail and tire repair
  • October 2015 – four new tires (mileage 49,000)
  • October 2015 – leaky tire repaired
  • October 2016 – new tire (sidewall damage)
  • April 2017 – cracked rim (65,000 miles)

Last edited:
For $2750 I would love to see someone get the 21 inch Arachnids to fit on the Model 3 as they are lighter than the Stock Tesla 19's, TST's and pretty much any cast or rotary forged wheel in the same size --
Yet another set of 21" Silver Arachnids+Tires
Model S wheels won't fit Model 3 due to different bolt pattern (5x120 vs. 5x114.3). Also, the sidewall would need to be virtually non-existent to maintain any remotely similar outer diameter.

Personally I believe that 18" wheels will be the fastest both in straight line and around turns. From what I have seen the smallest diameter, widest wheel that clears the brake rotors will be the fastest. Look at what people who actually race run. 20" wheels do look better though.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Can someone point to a website where I can put the specs of the wheel in rather than search by car? Something that will give me the actual wheel weight?

Good luck with that - most wheel manufacturers hide the wheel weight data. you almost always have to send them an email or call and ask, most of the time they don't even know without pulling out your exact size and fitment to determine weight.

General rule of thumb for 18 and 19 inch wheels:

Carbon Fiber - 11 to 15 lbs each - $3K each from; ESECARBON.COM and CARBONREV.COM
Aluminum 6061 - T6 Forged Wheels - prices start at $800 each and go up from there - 16 lbs and up - everybody makes these
Rotary Forged Cast Aluminum Wheels or MAT Cast or Compression Rotary Forged - $350 and up 19 lbs and up
Cold Cast Aluminum - good enough. 21 pounds and up.

The 10 Best Aftermarket Wheel Manufacturers Right Now

Where to buy these: Wheelplus USA or direct - see below.

SSR Wheels - SSR GTF01
Wheel Collection - ROTIFORM WHEELS
Wheel Landing | HRE Performance Wheels
Borbet | Home
ADV.1 Wheels - Complete Custom Forged Wheel Collection
Weds Wheels North America
Forgeline: One Piece Forged Monoblock Wheels
Zoe

Last edited:
Good luck with that - most wheel manufacturers hide the wheel weight data. you almost always have to send them an email or call and ask, most of the time they don't even know without pulling out your exact size and fitment to determine weight.

General rule of thumb for 18 and 19 inch wheels:

Carbon Fiber - 11 to 15 lbs each - $3K each from; ESECARBON.COM and CARBONREV.COM
Aluminum 6061 - T6 Forged Wheels - prices start at $800 each and go up from there - 16 lbs and up - everybody makes these
Rotary Forged Cast Aluminum Wheels or MAT Cast or Compression Rotary Forged - $350 and up 19 lbs and up
Cold Cast Aluminum - good enough. 21 pounds and up.

The 10 Best Aftermarket Wheel Manufacturers Right Now

Where to buy these: Wheelplus USA or direct - see below.

SSR Wheels - SSR GTF01
Wheel Collection - ROTIFORM WHEELS
Wheel Landing | HRE Performance Wheels
Borbet | Home
ADV.1 Wheels - Complete Custom Forged Wheel Collection
Weds Wheels North America
Forgeline: One Piece Forged Monoblock Wheels
Zoe

I left out "flow forged" which falls between in the Rotary Forged marketing category - they flow cast aluminum. It another marketing term - just compare the weight to forged - lighter is almost always better...

Another good article here on construction benefits
Cast, Flow Formed, or Forged? Why Wheel Manufacturing Method & Load Rating Matter

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ