Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, most people get different wheels mostly for looks. But there's also those who get different wheels because they're looking to use them for a specific driving purpose, like getting smaller wheels with a bigger sidewall for more comfort, or because tires are generally cheaper on smaller wheels, or because they're looking for wheels that'll work better under different weather conditions that they normally drive in.

Unless you get an aftermarket wheel & tire that's much heavier than the factory wheel & tire you're replacing, and you have a very low offset so the tires are poking out past the body, the loss in efficiency is usually pretty minimal with most aftermarket wheels. Also, most aftermarket wheels are generally lighter than factory wheels, so you'll notice a slight difference in performance, handling, and braking.

Hey y'all

I have my MY on order and want to get wheels. I've noticed that tesla/EV's have a different style. Im not so sure ill be concerned with the "efficiency" aspect as I dont drive long distances, should I be?
If you like the design and they are not heavier than the OEM, the range won't be affected
Let me know if I can assist on your purchase.

Thank you,
Lou

This is my 3rd EV coming from a first Gen leaf to a volt and now a model y. I absolutely took into account the weight and made sure I got something forged and light.
I learned with the leaf where I put some heavier Work wheels on and it killed my range so I went to the lightest I could find which ended up being the Volks.

I just kept that thought process going to now making sure efficiency was never going to be compromised. There are many styles that keep both into account. You need to decide how much does that matter in your needs.

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20131219164156672.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20131219164156672.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Screenshot_20210826-230701_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210826-230701_Photos.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 157
This is my 3rd EV coming from a first Gen leaf to a volt and now a model y. I absolutely took into account the weight and made sure I got something forged and light.
I learned with the leaf where I put some heavier Work wheels on and it killed my range so I went to the lightest I could find which ended up being the Volks.

I just kept that thought process going to now making sure efficiency was never going to be compromised. There are many styles that keep both into account. You need to decide how much does that matter in your needs.

Reminds me of the CE28N's I ran on my 2010 Lancer Ralliart. They are so incredibly light! I wish they would fit on my MYP, but they are 16 x 7 They have been sitting in my garage for over a decade... I need to find a buyer :)

Keith

I wanted to go forged but at 1600 each i went with rotary forged for 1/4 the price and only a few lbs different

Reactions: jsight and jpy1980
I wanted to go forged but at 1600 each i went with rotary forged for 1/4 the price and only a few lbs different
I feel in reading all the various post, with this crowd of drivers there is not one "type" of owner who make decisions on wheels. I would say most take some level of consideration into their actions taken and what the effects will be. The reality is we are driving an EV and that has something to do there in the underlining root. The mindful consideration is always there I believe. I have yet to see some crazy super heavy wheel on MY.

In the end, an owner might say screw it "I love these wheels" at all cost/ weight and that drives their final choice. The MY is great looking car as well so once you find the prefect compliment in the wheel that ultimately does take over too. Just not as simple to just go fill up gas once it gets low due to the hit you might take.

There are some amazing MY and M3s out there with all different types of wheels. That is the cool ass part of this car. So many different ways to get your style expressed.

Expect an 8-10% reduction of range (19" Gemini). The range hit compared to the 21 & 20" setups will be less. The aftermarket open spoke designs increase drag and hurt aerodynamics, so the lighter weight won't offset the losses since weight isn't a factor once the vehicle is at speed.

Expect an 8-10% reduction of range (19" Gemini). The range hit compared to the 21 & 20" setups will be less. The aftermarket open spoke designs increase drag and hurt aerodynamics, so the lighter weight won't offset the losses since weight isn't a factor once the vehicle is at speed.
So far mine has equalled or beaten my efficiency and I drive mostly freeway 79+

Reactions: GetYourWheels
Hmmm interesting comments. At what point does price become a factor. Forged wheels at $3kish vs cast for a few hundred less with minimal weight difference. Also, has anyone considered load rating? im sure there is a difference if they were specifically designed for the MY or M3. As far a design I dont think I would sacrifice looks for an aerodymanic/EV design to save efficiency. I haven't even received mine yet so i cant say for certain if i'd get infatuated with the data available in that regard

Hmmm interesting comments. At what point does price become a factor. Forged wheels at $3kish vs cast for a few hundred less with minimal weight difference. Also, has anyone considered load rating? im sure there is a difference if they were specifically designed for the MY or M3. As far a design I dont think I would sacrifice looks for an aerodymanic/EV design to save efficiency. I haven't even received mine yet so i cant say for certain if i'd get infatuated with the data available in that regard
for me it was going from 30lbs stock to about 24.5 lbs for 19 x8.5 vs stock 19 Geminis for just a little more than the price of 1 forged wheel that would be around 20lbs or so. Would i have liked to go forged yes, just not for 5k on top of 2k. I could have afforded but rather put that towards redwood coilovers :)

Hey y'all

I have my MY on order and want to get wheels. I've noticed that tesla/EV's have a different style. Im not so sure ill be concerned with the "efficiency" aspect as I dont drive long distances, should I be?

It all comes down to what you are looking for... Size, width, and weight plays a huge factor. But if you're not concerned about efficiency at all then get what you want.

So what brands/models are the holy grail of EV aftermarket wheel? I'm talking about aerodynamically efficient wheels for range, but also light and strong for performance?

As mentioned, forged wheels are going to be the lightest, but they're also going to be a lot more expensive. Also, the less material on the face, the lighter the wheel will be. However it's a trade off as you usually want the wheel face closed up more for aerodynamics & range efficiency, and the extra material on the face makes the wheel more heavy. I don't know if there's a specific brand out there that's the 'must have' for EV cars, but I would look into the wheels specifically designed & made for Tesla cars and see what the rating & specs are on those.

Unless you're a range weenie, having a lighter wheel & tire setup (less unsprung weight at each corner) will probably be better and give you better acceleration & braking, but when cruising at highway speeds it won't be as aerodynamic. The actual range loss may be minimal at that point.

Reactions: jpy1980