Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Wide Angle Side-View Mirrors (Best mod I've seen!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About a month ago I read a post on this forum about how someone replaced their OEM side-view mirrors.. with some fairly cheap "wide-angle" mirrors from AliExpress. Since the aftermarket replacement wide-angle mirrors were only $20 bucks including shipping.. I figured why not give them a try?

I cannot believe the difference!! I am not exaggerating when I say this is the best modification I have made to my Model Y.

These $20 replacement mirrors have solved my biggest issue with the car. From the day I drove my Model Y home (almost exactly 2 years ago) the blindspots & blindspot monitoring system on this car have been atrocious. So many times I've looked.. and looked again! Things seem perfectly open, only to signal, attempt to get over.. and then get the living crap scared out of me as another vehicle is actually there. The worst is the blindspot monitoring system doesn't actually alert you until you actually attempt the maneuver. Even with the recent updates to add the side-view camera monitor to the big touchscreen.. it's still counterintuitive as you should be looking at the mirror, NOT the center touchscreen when switching lanes.

I chose these options for the aftermarket mirrors: 1) wide angle, 2) anti-glare (bluish tint), and 3) heated option. I paid $20.16 for this item shipped directly from China. Took about 2 weeks for it to arrive. And about 5mins to install both. Super easy.. just adjust each mirror fully to one side.. put as many fingers behind it to apply even pressure and pop it up.. disconnect 3 cables and do the same instructions in reverse to install the aftermarket mirrors.

The only thing to be mindful of is you will not connect the 3rd wire as it controls the electrical anti-glare function. You will re-connect the two skinny black wires as they control the heating function. These cheap $20 aftermarket mirrors provide the same anti-glare effect with the bluish tint and its very effective at night. Admittingly during the day, they are very blue. But who cares as you never again worry about switching lanes and killing some poor dude on a motorcycle. I installed them last week and am now SUPER confident switching lanes.. because I can now practically see across 4-6 lanes of traffic to either side of me with these wide-angle mirrors.

The ones I purchased were 800R. They also sell a 1000R. The R stands for the radius curve of the convexed mirror. I honestly didn't know the difference and just went with the 800R as that was the one that the other posts on this forum linked. Trust me.. give them a try!!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802364155584.html

Last edited: