Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket wireless charge pad? - Model 3 pre facelift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm highly likely to be updating my iPhone 6 this year with either an iPhone 12 (Pro) or whatever new offering they may soon release. Other family members have an iPhone XR - they use wireless charging at home on different after market bases. I know case choice and wireless charging has been a bit of a black art. I don't know what case I will buy for the new phone but a Tech21 one in some form (I currently use a folio type case) will likely be on top of any short list.

What wireless charge pads are people successfully using with latest iPhones? The mag safe feature seems to complicate things even further. Having searched other topics, most seem to be about charge problems...

Our car is a non facelift Model 3 with the two USB A's sockets in the console but fitted with a Jeda USB hub Review: Jeda USB Hub - a must-have accessory for the Tesla Model 3 [Video] so offers a mix of USB A and C but ultimately all powered from the original 2 USB sockets.

Unlikely to want to charge 2 phones at once or use in landscape mode but I never say never...

I'm using the OEM Tesla pad with my iPhone XS Max without any issues. I upgraded my front USB hub to the USB-A & USB-C one from later cars though, so as to benefit from 27W potential to the charger (my iPhone doesn't support more than 7.5W, but the next might support more).

The front USB-A ports support a max of 10W (9V/2A).

I think Jeda have a wireless pad with MagSafe support now, don't they? That might be worth trying.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Are you using your phones with cases? I've made minimal use of the hard wired connection in phone section as it requires the case to be removed to mate with the fixed plug so any solution going forward is going to need to work with a decent thickness case.

I'll have a look at the Nomad charger. Good so see a positive experience used in conjunction with the Jeda hub.

The reports of the Jeda magsafe version were not positive from a delivery, ergonomic, quality and reliability perspective - Jeda V4 Wireless Charger

Not having had magsafe device before, I'm not really sure about pro/cons when used with non magsafe accessories such as the Tesla unit? Thinking more about the after market one that no longer seems to be available.

As an aside, and its probably in the Jeda instructions that I have not read, but do all the USB ports support the same power output? I don't know if these charging pads need 1 or 2 connections.

Upvote 0
Are you using your phones with cases? I've made minimal use of the hard wired connection in phone section as it requires the case to be removed to mate with the fixed plug so any solution going forward is going to need to work with a decent thickness case.

I'll have a look at the Nomad charger. Good so see a positive experience used in conjunction with the Jeda hub.

The reports of the Jeda magsafe version were not positive from a delivery, ergonomic, quality and reliability perspective - Jeda V4 Wireless Charger

Not having had magsafe device before, I'm not really sure about pro/cons when used with non magsafe accessories such as the Tesla unit? Thinking more about the after market one that no longer seems to be available.

As an aside, and its probably in the Jeda instructions that I have not read, but do all the USB ports support the same power output? I don't know if these charging pads need 1 or 2 connections.
When I had the hub I used two USB cables, to the Jeda V2 pad. My understanding was that with the Jeda at least one cable handled one side and the other handled the other.

My OEM Tesla pad has one USB-C cable, that I've connected to the far right USB-C port on my Jeda hub. I'm sure I read somewhere on the Jeda website that this port is full power, but I can't find it now.

Upvote 1
When I got the car in September, I used a Jeda Hub with an iPhone X with a case and with the OEM wireless pad with no issues. However, the OEM wireless pad didn’t work when I upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro Max with a case. I did try several spacers with no luck. I didn’t try the cable route.

I bought the latest Jeda Wireless pad, I believe a V4, and it all works fine now.

I’m not sure it’s Magsafe, but it works fine and seems of reasonable build & quality. Delivery of Jeda stuff can be problematic if it’s a pre-order. There’s plenty of upset people over on the main forum regarding delivery of pre-ordered stuff with significant delays.

Upvote 1
I'm highly likely to be updating my iPhone 6 this year with either an iPhone 12 (Pro) or whatever new offering they may soon release. Other family members have an iPhone XR - they use wireless charging at home on different after market bases. I know case choice and wireless charging has been a bit of a black art. I don't know what case I will buy for the new phone but a Tech21 one in some form (I currently use a folio type case) will likely be on top of any short list.

What wireless charge pads are people successfully using with latest iPhones? The mag safe feature seems to complicate things even further. Having searched other topics, most seem to be about charge problems...

Our car is a non facelift Model 3 with the two USB A's sockets in the console but fitted with a Jeda USB hub Review: Jeda USB Hub - a must-have accessory for the Tesla Model 3 [Video] so offers a mix of USB A and C but ultimately all powered from the original 2 USB sockets.

Unlikely to want to charge 2 phones at once or use in landscape mode but I never say never...

The one I got from Taptes is unbelievably cheap yet remarkable quality and does 2 phones side by side or one landscape. You can have both sides "live" or like me I have one intentionally left "dead" so that I can put my phone there even if I don't want it to charge. It looks much better than the flap of rubber that Tesla give you with the car! And now it's even cheaper than when I bought it TAPTES Gen 2 Wireless Charger for Tesla Model 3

Upvote 1