Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Afternoon all

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard that the referrals will cease to exist by the end of Oct 2017?

Historically as each referral program has finished a new one has started, but that's not to say that Free Supercharging will be included.

Can't say that I understand the Referral program, although clearly it works!

I give you my referral code, and you get £X off the price. I also get a £Y gift.

There isn't anyone who doesn't uses a Referral Code, right? So basically the actual price is £List - £X but you have to give me £Y of your money in order to be allowed to buy one :cool:

BTW, if you’ve raced motorbike then you know that the 0-60 quoted time are really quite meaningless. Apart from the 60Kwh models all the cars will feel very similarly strong 30-60mph and all will drop off in acceleration after 100. The D models will get you off the line more sharply, off course, but will be less efficient in the long run. Below 40% charge acceleration drops off noticeably, so if you routinely charge to a reasonable number for better battery life there’s not a huge window. The straight line punch feels good, but these aren’t really performance cars.

As I replied in the other thread about buying directly from Tesla, outside of the referral deal, if you buy a used car, I am told the free supercharging and data actually stay with the car if it had that to start with.
Good luck with the hunt!

The straight line punch feels good, but these aren’t really performance cars
Doesn't feel lacking in performance to me ... these figures from Motor Trends - I picked the first competitor that I could find that had a full set of acceleration stats which was the 2017 Tesla Model S P100DL and 2017 McLaren 570GT. My extrapolations, at the bottom, are McLaren is .1 second faster 50-80, and .2 faster 50-90. I am sure above 100 its a different story, but I don't find that a problem on the rural roads around here!!

TestTeslaMcLaren
[tr1][th]0-30[/th][td]0.9[/td][td]1.2[/td][/tr1][tr2][th]0-40[/th][td]1.3[/td][td]1.7[/td][/tr2][tr1][th]0-50[/th][td]1.7[/td][td]2.2[/td][/tr1][tr2][th]0-60[/th][td]2.3[/td][td]2.8[/td][/tr2][tr1][th]0-70[/th][td]3.0[/td][td]3.4[/td][/tr1][tr2][th]0-80[/th][td]3.8[/td][td]4.2[/td][/tr2][tr1][th]0-90[/th][td]4.8[/td][td]5.1[/td][/tr1][tr2][th]0-100[/th][td]6.0[/td][td]6.1[/td][/tr2][tr1][th]0-100-0[/th][td]10.2[/td][td]9.9[/td][/tr1][tr2][th]PASSING, 45-65 MPH[/th][td]1.1[/td][td]1.1[/td][/tr2][tr1][th]QUARTER Sec[/th][td]10.5[/td][td]10.7[/td][/tr1][tr2][th]QUARTER mph[/th][td]125.0[/td][td]131.9[/td][/tr2][tr1][th]BRAKING, 60-0 MPH[/th][td]109 ft[/td][td]100 ft[/td][/tr1][tr2][th] 50-70 [/th][td]1.3[/td][td]1.2[/td][/tr2][tr1][th] 50-80 [/th][td]2.1[/td][td]2.0[/td][/tr1][tr2][th] 50-90 [/th][td]3.1[/td][td]2.9[/td][/tr2]

The MS does not drive like a nimble hatchback (well, not to my way of thinking!), but OTOH I've not had anyone driving spiritedly behind me who was able to keep up ...

With all due respect to you and others on this forum - standing start acceleration has really not much to do with performance. I love my 100D, but it couldn't make it around Oulton Park for a single lap without battery overheat warnings. I regularly run a V12 Vantage there so I thought I would try it - much to my embarrassment. It also understeers terribly with no hope for correction mid corner, and turns in like a dog. The steering has no feel, no idea what the fronts are doing. An MX5 would run circles around it.

OTOH it sure feels great to leap off across an intersection or do a quick merge - but lets not call that performance driving. ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: arcus
With all due respect to you and others on this forum - standing start acceleration really not much to do with performance. I love my 100D, but it couldn't make it around Oulton Park for a single lap without battery overheat warnings. I regularly run a V12 Vantage there so I thought I would try it - much to my embarrassment. It also understeers terribly with no hope for correction mid corner, and turns in like a dog. The steering has absolutely no feel, no idea what the fronts are doing. An MX5 would run circles around it.

OTOH sure its great to leap off across an intersection of do a quick merge - but lets not call that performance driving. ;)

I would never have expected the Model X to make a great track day car! But as you are no doubt aware, track and road are completely different environments. Tracks are brutal on both brakes and tyres and tend to amplify handling traits - especially understeer - that you would never notice even with the most spirited of road driving. For a big heavyweight 7-seat SUV, the Model X is pretty much as good as it gets in the "performance" department. Blistering acceleration up to a ton, instant throttle response, reasonable braking and I think the handling is actually quite sharp for its class. On the road it feels to me more like a big sportscar than a traditional SUV - probably why you were tempted to track it in the first place?

Peterski, indeed you are right. BTW mine is Model S and it does do great for a large saloon car where its low C of G really helps. I was just responding to a previous post comparing it to a Macca 570GT.

So to summarize, Model S / X - in addition to having the best EV range and cool interiors - are great handling/performing large cars/SUV's - but they are not really performance cars.

I agree, but probably easier to seperate "performance" into straight line accel and handling categories. The former is a well known Tesla party trick (and very addictive too!), the latter more in line with the size/weight of the car and its intended usage as a luxury GT.

standing start acceleration has really not much to do with performance

Clearly performance has different means to different folk :) Mine relates only to road driving and that is mostly being able to overtake quickly, merge with traffic quickly when appropriate, and on occasions to have a trivially easy sales pitch to some unlucky chum who decides to go-for-a-ride !

One of the things I particularly like (now I come to think about it) is the ease of "squirt". In ICE I would be following someone, know that around the next bend is an overtake opportunity, change down ready ... extra noise,all rather boy-racer ... whereas in the MS I come around the bend, see the road is clear, and just press the Loud ... Ahem! ... "Go" pedal. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I much prefer the whole driving experience to ICE. Perhaps its just that I'm old and have grown out of the days when I took an XR3 to Turbo Technics and they put a Knight-Rider style "Turbo Boost" switch on the dash that toggled 130 bhp or 150 bhp (normal fare was 90-something as I recollect it)

That said, I don't get used to the "big car wallow" when I'm hustling the corners, but the low centre of gravity makes it more sure-footed than my expectation ...

Sorry to hear you didn't have as much fun as you had hoped on the track. That's not something I do, but I can see the attraction - but I have to admit that I can't quite see any attraction in driving a 1/4 mile in a straight line against another car, but clearly plenty of people do ...

Reactions: arcus