Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Again, Colorado trying to avoid paying EV credit. This demand is beyond reasonable.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife will not approve of your recommending I continue my hoarding. But I am grateful for the green light.
Heh, in my house it is the reverse. But a shoebox a year is not tooooo bad, and I discard that stuff after seven years. And remember -- the chance that you will ever sift through it is extremely remote: it is the odds of being audited * the odds that your e-copies are not accepted.

Here is the IRS verbiage related to electronic archiving of records. A google search confirms the approach.

Last edited:
Time was that CO was really giving it away with EV tax breaks. My 2010 Roadster got something like a +$30k credit from CO which was purchased no doubt with that in mind. I think that credit was short lived - a year or less. In 2012 the original owner traded it in for a new (I had to look this back up!) FISKER. Guess its time for me to pull him out of the woodwork and ask: "How's it going with that new Fisker!?"
--

• Funny
Reactions: 2krazykats
I got a notice for my Leaf that I had used the wrong MSRP in the calculation (I did). However, they "corrected" it to the base model 2016 Leaf S MSRP which is about $3000 lower than the MSRP for a 2015 Leaf SV. The net result was $1000 less rebate. I filed an appeal.

On the plus side... filing an appeal was super easy.

From another thread - I have been considering returning to Colorado as a snow-bird and claiming the $5,000 EV tax credit. Some of the comments are below:

so, I don't need to be a full time resident to get a $5,000 credit from Tesla. I just need a post box in the boonies to send the paperwork through?
I've been reading your posts and I'm in the same situation as you, I will likely be moving back to Colorado in 2017 or 2018. The law doesn't seem to mention residency status but I believe to register a vehicle there you must be a resident and you must register it in Colorado to receive the credit.

Interesting that the are allowing it to be taken off at the time of sale. Should make it much simpler but $1000 is a decent drop.

My circumstances are - retired (living off IRA withdrawals and no earned income). ex-colo resident. I am thinking of renting an apartment in the Durango area (or post box), getting a CO drivers license and registering to vote...as proof for EV credit. Doing these things after I place my order for M3, but taking delivery at my Durango address (registering new car in CO). Then, returning to AZ for the non-snowbird times.

SageBrush and 2crazycats comments have me a bit spooked that my plans may blow up.
What I'd like from this forum is a step-by-step to achieve good things and avoid bad things.

From another thread - I have been considering returning to Colorado as a snow-bird and claiming the $5,000 EV tax credit.

You might want to consider cheaper states with lower sales taxes and registration fees. While you might be able to knock $5000 off the price of the car, the sales taxes and registration fees could easily exceed $5000. My upcoming S purchase will have sales taxes of approximately $7,881.75 and first year registration fees of $1,918.93, totaling $9800.68. While a Model 3 would most likely be cheaper than a Model S, a nicely optioned Model 3 could have taxes+registration of over $5000.

I think you could save more by not "moving" to Colorado.

• Helpful
Reactions: tvuolo and MrClown
From another thread - I have been considering returning to Colorado as a snow-bird and claiming the $5,000 EV tax credit. Some of the comments are below:

so, I don't need to be a full time resident to get a $5,000 credit from Tesla. I just need a post box in the boonies to send the paperwork through?
I've been reading your posts and I'm in the same situation as you, I will likely be moving back to Colorado in 2017 or 2018. The law doesn't seem to mention residency status but I believe to register a vehicle there you must be a resident and you must register it in Colorado to receive the credit.

Interesting that the are allowing it to be taken off at the time of sale. Should make it much simpler but $1000 is a decent drop.

My circumstances are - retired (living off IRA withdrawals and no earned income). ex-colo resident. I am thinking of renting an apartment in the Durango area (or post box), getting a CO drivers license and registering to vote...as proof for EV credit. Doing these things after I place my order for M3, but taking delivery at my Durango address (registering new car in CO). Then, returning to AZ for the non-snowbird times.

SageBrush and 2crazycats comments have me a bit spooked that my plans may blow up.
What I'd like from this forum is a step-by-step to achieve good things and avoid bad things.

Based on on your mention of just getting a PO Box, it sounds like you're looking to get the CO credit for your car with as little financial tie to Colorado as you can. If you are worried that what you're doing will be questionable for residency requirements, it probably is and you shouldn't do it. That's about as much help as I can offer someone from another state that sounds like they are trying to scam my state out of my tax dollars.

Also, what @MorrisonHiker says is true - you probably won't gain that much for your troubles.

Based on on your mention of just getting a PO Box, it sounds like you're looking to get the CO credit for your car with as little financial tie to Colorado as you can. If you are worried that what you're doing will be questionable for residency requirements, it probably is and you shouldn't do it. That's about as much help as I can offer someone from another state that sounds like they are trying to scam my state out of my tax dollars.

Also, what @MorrisonHiker says is true - you probably won't gain that much for your troubles.
As a 5th generation Colorado resident - and graduate of CSM, and owner of several CO businesses....I don't feel like I'm off base thinking about returning home. I like the desert - sometimes, and love the rockies all times. I'm not trying to scam anybody or anything. I'm collecting data to see if coordinating my M3 acquisition and my snowbird activities is worthwhile.
My questions were targeted to produce a punch list of things to do - and not to do - to make the transition. Sounds like "post box" would accomplish the task, but piss off others as unethical. OK, good to know. My intent is to be ethical.

As a 5th generation Colorado resident - and graduate of CSM, and owner of several CO businesses....I don't feel like I'm off base thinking about returning home. I like the desert - sometimes, and love the rockies all times. I'm not trying to scam anybody or anything. I'm collecting data to see if coordinating my M3 acquisition and my snowbird activities is worthwhile.
My questions were targeted to produce a punch list of things to do - and not to do - to make the transition. Sounds like "post box" would accomplish the task, but piss off others as unethical. OK, good to know. My intent is to be ethical.

I'm sure your situation will be perfectly legitimate and I hope it works out. I would expect at least owning or renting property or earning income in Colorado would be needed. Hopefully a PO Box alone isn't enough because I think we'll quickly run out of those if so.

I filed my CO taxes electronically on 2/20 with PDF attachments of all required documents for my Leaf. I heard nothing until a few weeks ago when I got a letter asking for all of the documentation for my Leaf. I tried to upload to their website, but it wants a PIN number. They'll email the PIN to the address on file (no problem there), except I never get it. Not in spam, nowhere. I haven't really taken the time to deal with that one. I promptly faxed the forms with all the required info written prominently on each page. I have yet to hear back.

Last year I physically mailed my return including Tesla paperwork for the used-but-not-registered-in-CO rebate and it took until August to get my check. After I got the "we need more info" letter, I uploaded the exact same documents I mailed in. After the status hadn't changed in 4 months, I faxed the same exact documents. A few weeks after that, I got the check. A month later I received a letter saying the documentation was sufficient and I should receive my check within 2 to 4 weeks.
Could you elaborate a bit on that "used-but-not-registered-in-CO rebate"? That may apply to my snowbird status.
On a parallel train . If I could buy my Tesla in any state, how would the taxes/registration vary? Can anyone lead me to such a trove of data?

I'm sure your situation will be perfectly legitimate and I hope it works out. I would expect at least owning or renting property or earning income in Colorado would be needed. Hopefully a PO Box alone isn't enough because I think we'll quickly run out of those if so.
I chatted with my wife about Colorado registration of my Tesla. She huffed at the work involved:mad:, the appearances of unethical behavior :confused:even if legal, and otherwise reinforced what your guys have been saying. Damn - I hate it when I'm wrong and the rest of the world is right. Its hard to say those words to you guys, but there it is. You are right. Its even harder to admit my wife is smarter than I am. But I'm kinda used to that by now.:)
The M3 will be a AZ car- whenever it comes.