Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aggravating EV Journalism - public EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2020
Arkansas
Is anyone else aggravated by this kind of journalism?

"One of the biggest barriers to EV adoption is America’s charging network. There are roughly 136,400 gas stations in the U.S., but just 43,800 EV charging stations, according to the Department of Energy."

This is from: CNBC road test: The U.S. EV charging network isn't ready for your family road trip, let alone the expected wave of new cars

What it fails to talk about is the huge percentage of car trips that would be powered completely by charging at home. In the little town I live in there are about 30 gas stations (and zero DC fast charging - nearest is over 40 miles away). I suspect even the 10 or so near the interstate are primarily used by commuters heading to the nearest big city, which is only 30 miles away. For round trip even the EVs with the smallest batteries could live exclusively on home charging and never need a commercial charging option.

Yes, obviously we need more EV fast charging. But how many of those 136,400 gas stations are within a mile of an interstate exit? We don't NEED 136,400 EV charging stations, because a huge number of EVs will be charged where they're parked overnight.

Have you ever seen a journalist giving good news?

Bad News Sells Better Than Good News !!!

This is from: CNBC road test: The U.S. EV charging network isn't ready for your family road trip, let alone the expected wave of new cars

What it fails to talk about is the huge percentage of car trips that would be powered completely by charging at home. In the little town I live in there are about 30 gas stations (and zero DC fast charging - nearest is over 40 miles away). I suspect even the 10 or so near the interstate are primarily used by commuters heading to the nearest big city, which is only 30 miles away. For round trip even the EVs with the smallest batteries could live exclusively on home charging and never need a commercial charging option.

Yes, obviously we need more EV fast charging. But how many of those 136,400 gas stations are within a mile of an interstate exit? We don't NEED 136,400 EV charging stations, because a huge number of EVs will be charged where they're parked overnight.
This is a PR justification of the Biden's friends initiative to spend taxpayer dollars on making friends of the friends richer. If you remember, it has been recently proposed that the government will spend some gigadollars on EV charging infrastructure.

I think that the lack of charging options is a huge barrier to EV adoption in cities, because of all the people in multi-unit buildings that can't charge their car "at home" overnight. I moved into one of the few buildings I know in this city of 3 million people (with suburbs, it's about twice that) that offers L2 charging via a 3rd party charging company in a communal spot - it's about twice the price per kWh that I would pay if I was charging in my garage overnight, but at least it's available.

your comments are fairly valid but now that I drive a taycan and rely on the EA network and other networks I can state that the charging situation is poor at best. in 9 years of driving teslas across the US I may have encountered slow superchargers, crowded superchargers but I've always been able to get a charge, I never had any fears of being stranded. I cannot say the same for driving the taycan and relying on the EA network. recently in SC I wasted hours trying to locate an EA charger that would work and then was only able to charge at a 50kw charger that was slow and expensive.

your comments are fairly valid but now that I drive a taycan and rely on the EA network and other networks I can state that the charging situation is poor at best. in 9 years of driving teslas across the US I may have encountered slow superchargers, crowded superchargers but I've always been able to get a charge, I never had any fears of being stranded. I cannot say the same for driving the taycan and relying on the EA network. recently in SC I wasted hours trying to locate an EA charger that would work and then was only able to charge at a 50kw charger that was slow and expensive.

It sounds like the CCS options are where Tesla Superchargers were three or four years ago. But it looks like they're being expanded more quickly than Superchargers. Hopefully in another couple years your CCS experiences will be on par with what your Tesla experiences were.

It's a little like what was written in the 1903 edition of the Chicago Herald

"One of the biggest barriers to Automobile adoption is America’s gas station network. There are roughly 136,400 places to buy oats and hay in the U.S., but just 43,800 gas stations, according to the Department of Horse Drawn Vehicles."

You're over here crackin' wise like the class clown, but check out this 1916 map of Chicago's 72 electric vehicle charging stations.

Reactions: cypho and wws

Didn’t they mention it in the Final Thoughts section of the article: “A long road trip in an EV right now is not impossible, but it’s not ideal. Yes, we know that something like 95% of trips by car are short hops along the same routes: work, school, store, repeat.”

Perhaps they could’ve gone further and stated that these trips will be mostly covered by charging at homes for homeowners. This still leaves a gap for road trips which is what the article was about (specifically non-Tesla road trips) and also a gap for those that live in apartments and condos. The overall message is that we are moving to EVs and the infrastructure isn’t there yet for those that don’t drive a Tesla.