TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Aggressive mold in the front inside of the panorama sunroof

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Newbie, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Well, the most common cause of water intrusion is sitting outside. I didn't say that Norwegian cars often sit exclusively outside, just that they probably more often sit outside. My impression from ths forum is that a lot of Model S owners in the US that take extremely good care of their cars, so they aren't necessarily representative of an average use case.

2. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Moist isnt really dangerous when air is ventilated enough for it to disappear or freeze.

In garages the moisture is more prone to stay put for extended periods at a higher temp allowing for the mold to grow.

3. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Here in America - as probably in Norway and other places - we have something called credibility. You hurt your credibility by complaining about the Model S but displaying photos of a Saab. If you want to be taken seriously, you should pay attention to what you are saying, how you are saying it, and should avoid posting photos of other manufacturers' vehicles that are not a part of this discussion. This is what people are trying to tell you. You can take the criticism and use it to improve yourself, or you can become defensive and be labeled a troll. Once the latter happens, good luck being taken seriously.

4. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

For those who may not have noticed Newbie has been banned, so any advice for him at this point is probably wasted, assuming he's moved on and is not haunting the forums.

5. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Sounds plausible, otherwise it's just too much of a coincidence to have so many people have mold in the same place.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess the Saab wheel picture and all the posts moved elsewhere finally broke the camel's back. For the record, I also thought that was a picture of the Model S.

6. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

Please keep us posted. This can be a serious health hazard.

7. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Short update.

Tesla takes this seriously. They want the var in for a full day as soon as possible to make sure they find a good solution and test for different reasons it might have happened.

I also got CCd on an email chain where I see higher level management and people with a higher education/experience In relevant areas have been asked to give their point of view.

I have no doubt Tesla takes this seriously and will come up with a good solution.

8. huntjo

huntjo Member

Good that they are going to take care of this for you. More than a minor annoyance, for you, I am sure. Hope you get your car back quickly!

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#49 NigelM, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Thinking of changing my screen name to Obi-Wan.... ;-)

[/OT]

10. rlang59

rlang59 Member

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

11. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

For information, the poll on the Norwegian board now shows 29 people have found mold on the sunroof. 126 have answered.

That means 23% - or 575 potential cars with mold calculating from a total 2500 cars delivered in Norway.

I'd say its a good thing Tesla takes this seriously.

Skjermbilde.PNG

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It doesn't mean that, IMO. You're assuming that the poll isn't self-selected, for example.

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

A 5% sample rate is good enough to indicate a problem. In any case 29 cars is still enough of an issue, even if there were zero others in Norway it's still way more than we have had reported here in the U.S.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Agreed. What I was objecting to is the projection of the 5% onto the 2500.

15. fredag

fredag Member

Just back from winter holiday, checked my pano, and I found mould in my pano as well.

No big surprise, unfortunately, as the description Laumb gave of his garage at home matches mine pretty well.

I emailed Tesla a picture of my pano, and they responded within minutes with the following response:

I am very disappointed in some of the reactions from some of the Americans in this thread who react so aggressively against people reporting problems. Jeez. This isn't North-Korea, at least not on this side of the Atlantic.

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Checked mine yesterday. No mould. My garage is extremely damp in the winter with piles of slush from the wheel wells that I have to shovel out every couple of days.

17. huntjo

huntjo Member

Again. We are not upset that people are reporting a problem. We were upset that Newbie is a rabble-rouser and only posts negative things, suggesting that they are a widespread problem, and others should be worried. If you find a problem, report it like Laumb did and the responses will be sympathetic and potentially offer solutions. In this case, the solution offered by "Americans" earlier in th post was: "that mold is not typical. You need to contact Tesla and they will fix it for you. "