Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aggressive Regenerative Braking in new RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove my first Tesla today (both the Model Y standard range RWD, followed by an AWD Model 3).

I noticed that even in creep mode, the regenerative braking seemed "harsher" on the model Y (the car would brake harder and slow down more when I let go of the accelerator.

I then drove the model 3 AWD later in the day and noticed it felt much more "normal". It still slowed down, and not as quickly and aggressively as the Y.

Could this be due to the limited range of the Y, and Tesla is squeezing out as much mileage as possible by using the regenerative braking more? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I would say it would be less since it is only one motor for regen, but I have not drove one yet. A couple people have already picked theirs up so maybe they can say if they noticed, but so far I have not seen it mentioned.

One thing to check is the regen mode (there are two settings: Standard and Low). Is it possible the Model 3 was set to Low?

Attachments

• regen-setting.jpg
    regen-setting.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
I didn't even look at the regen settings, the salesperson didn't even mention it when I told them I want to minimize that regenerative braking. She just told me to put the setting on creep, so I assumed that was for the regenerative braking, but I guess there is another setting for the regen brakes, standard or low.

Is it confirmed that the 2021 model y only has the standard option? I actually don't like regenerative braking very much, so not having the option to put it into low mode could possibly be a deal-breaker, and lead me to buy the model 3.

I just called Tesla in Vancouver, and they said that the 2021 model 3 and model Y no longer have the option to change the setting on the regenerative braking (can't select between low and standard). I'm not very happy about that. The model 3 I test drove yesterday was the 2020 version, and I loved the low setting for regen, which is unfortunately gone now

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I just called Tesla in Vancouver, and they said that the 2021 model 3 and model Y no longer have the option to change the setting on the regenerative braking (can't select between low and standard). I'm not very happy about that. The model 3 I test drove yesterday was the 2020 version, and I loved the low setting for regen, which is unfortunately gone now

That would indeed explain it. If you were to drive a 2021 Model 3 with similar battery temperature to the Model Y you drove, it would regen quite similarly. It is unfortunate they have removed the option indeed. I was told by a salesperson at the 4th ave location (in Vancouver) that Tesla removed it because a lot of people had set the regen to low or off and then complained they were not getting anywhere near the advertised range on a charge. This was form a salesperson, so take it for what it's worth.

Creep mode is something that emulates a traditional (ICE) car. If you pull up to a stop sign or red light in a traditional car and let your foot off the break, it will start to "creep" forward slowly, even without touching the gas. Electric cars don't do this natively, but all (or almost all?) offer a "creep" mode option that approximates that effect. The alternative is "hold", where the car automatically applies the breaks for you while stopped, until such time as you depress the accelerator pedal.

I think that "creep" mode pairs better with "off" or "low" regen to more closely approximate a traditional gas car, while "hold" mode with "standard" regen is the "full EV experience".

I don't yet own a Model Y (going to order in the near future) but during our two test drives (and also a Polestar 2 test drive for comparison), regen didn't take long to get used to. I think if you let yourself get used to the one-pedal driving you may actually quite enjoy it.

EDIT: "creep" mode is like a traditional ICE car with automatic transmission, while "hold" mode is like a traditional ICE car with manual transmission, except that it doesn't just roll if you're on an incline/decline, the car holds it in place with the breaks for you.

Give yourself sometime to get used to it and you will love it, going to another car feels backwards afterwards. Coming to a stop sign is now just slightly letting off the gas until you stop, instead of let off gas and slowly press in brake.

I traded in a 2018 LR AWD Model 3 for a 2021 LR AWD Model Y recently. The Y definitely has stronger regen (and the 3 was always kept on standard regen). I think OP is right that Tesla is trying to squeeze more efficiency out of the Y.

I test drove my first Tesla today (both the Model Y standard range RWD, followed by an AWD Model 3).

I noticed that even in creep mode, the regenerative braking seemed "harsher" on the model Y (the car would brake harder and slow down more when I let go of the accelerator.

I then drove the model 3 AWD later in the day and noticed it felt much more "normal". It still slowed down, and not as quickly and aggressively as the Y.

Could this be due to the limited range of the Y, and Tesla is squeezing out as much mileage as possible by using the regenerative braking more? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Lots of variables here .. but the basic idea is you DONT “let go” of the accelerator .. you ease off gently in the same (but opposite) way you would gently apply the brakes. Once you the hang of it you will almost never use the brakes.

Yesterday was literally the first time I've ever driven a Tesla, so I guess I'm just not used to it. I ordered the model Y standard range, so I'm gonna have to get used to it (which I probably will within a couple of days)

I still wonder if the regenerative braking is stronger on this new model Y in order to get maximum range?

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Yesterday was literally the first time I've ever driven a Tesla, so I guess I'm just not used to it. I ordered the model Y standard range, so I'm gonna have to get used to it (which I probably will within a couple of days)

I still wonder if the regenerative braking is stronger on this new model Y in order to get maximum range?

The car's software constantly adjusts the regen for maximum range, while protecting the battery. Regen will be strongest when the battery is at a low state of charge and fully warmed up, as that is when it can take a lot of current. Upping the regen doesn't add any more range insofar as you're not touching the brake pedal, it just makes the car stop faster without the brake pedal.

It was probably the settings. And you will get used to regen "one pedal" driving in a few hours and it will become automatic in a few days. And you will love it .. it's the going from a stuck shift to an automatic (and yes, I still like driving a stuck shift for fun, but that's a different story).

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and MrTuna