Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aggressive Regenerative Braking in new RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upping the regen doesn't add any more range insofar as you're not touching the brake pedal, it just makes the car stop faster without the brake pedal.
Actually it will, but only if you use the stronger regen - if it did not have that stronger regen, you would have to use the brake and the extra energy would be lost. So if you drive in a very energy efficient way, gently slowing down all the time, it would not make a difference.

Having driven a Chevy Volt for 4 years the topic of the efficiency of standard regenerative braking versus maximum regenerative braking (labeled Low driving mode in the Volt, also Chevy Bolt) was debated ad nauseam. When the GM engineers weighed in on this subject their response was that coasting (shifting into neutral) was the most efficient method of slowing the vehicle. Of course coasting is not compatible with driving on public roads in most situations. The next most efficient method of slowing the vehicle was standard regenerative braking recognizing that this is closest to coasting and converting forward momentum into electrical energy, storing the energy in the battery involves losses at each step of energy conversion.

Of the two levels of regenerative braking available in the Volt, the Low mode (actually provides maximum regenerative braking) was less efficient than standard regenerative braking as Low mode was furthest from coasting, incurred the most energy conversion losses. Finally, friction braking was absolutely the least efficient as all of the vehicle's forward momentum was lost when converted into heat energy.

Background: The Chevy Volt had true blended braking, something Tesla does not currently offer in any vehicle. In the Volt you can drive using one pedal, in Low mode, and this is similar to Standard regenerative braking with Creep mode enabled in the Tesla Model Y. The Chevy Bolt offers Hold mode, one pedal driving (but does not have true blended braking.)

Anytime a Volt owner attempted to quantity any difference in driving efficiency using the default Drive mode (low regen) versus Low mode (Maximum regen) they ended up splitting hairs in most driving situations. I don't imagine that this is any different in a Tesla. For example, if you drive the Tesla vehicle for an hour on the highway at 70 MPH regenerative braking, standard or low, will have minimum effect on driving efficiency.

Just picked up the '21 Model 3, and the lack of adjustment in regen is a bit off putting - the only comfortable way to drive the car seems to be one pedal (my preferred way, but the wife and daughter have a learning curve that I hoped to avoid).

The eGolf we replaced has perfect ICE emulation - with adjustable regen and 'Brake' mode (5 levels). The perfect emulation means the other drivers never learned the one pedal option. The eGolf brakes modulated the regen, where the Tesla method would give no regen if the accelerator allowed coasting...in cold weather or full charge no regen, so I understand the logic somewhat for VW. Either way, non 'tech' people just drive it with no regard to charge state and temperature.

Actually it will, but only if you use the stronger regen - if it did not have that stronger regen, you would have to use the brake and the extra energy would be lost. So if you drive in a very energy efficient way, gently slowing down all the time, it would not make a difference.

Which is exactly what I said, and why I added the caveat, "insofar as you're not touching the brake pedal."