Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aggressive Snow Driving Dynamics, Winter Recharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're finally getting some real winter here which I'm noticing since I live at the highest ski area in Vermont. I love winter driving, but I'm not all that excited about the Tesla having good traction in an inch of snow while navigating a stripmall, I'm more interested in whether it can power through corners like my WRX used to, whether I can make it up to the ski area when the road is peppered with spin-offs and tow trucks, whether I can still drive a bit over the speed limit in severe winter conditions... I'm not worried if the car with slip or slide - I want the car to slide Well!

In playing around with this I'm finding that in 'normal' mode- the car is really stable. Stability control is active, but I can still kick the back end of the car out when I try to accelerate the car aggressively. But stability control always reins it in after a second or two. I have to play around more with 'Slip Start' to see if the Stability Control jumps in a bit more slowly.

You also come to realize that the car is quite heavy. It doesn't have that light tossability of a Honda Fit. Sometimes in really heavy slushy or packed snow the Y is bit more like a Landcruiser.

The other thing is that 'maxrecharge' algorithms go crazy and the system drastically reduces the amount of recharging allowed when it detects Any slipping- obviously to make sure that lifting off the accelerator doesn't lock up the wheels on slippery surfaces. This has actually freaked me out a time or two- driving down a steep snowy road, slip a bit on a turn and then regen disappears- now the car drives like an automatic- like an automatic stuck in Neutral! freewheeling down the side of the mountain and I have to ride the brakes the whole way down [does anyone know how to downshift this thing?]. It's a bummer because of the wasted energy, wear on the brakes, but it's a lot less fun than modulating speed between accel and regen and I actually feel a bit more stable with the more gradual changes in force that regen allows.

What I'm not sure about is does 'Slip Start' actually do anything once you are going 30+ mph? If you do make the car freak out by sliding and drop recharging- is there a way to quickly reset it? Should Tesla's have 'Winter Rally' mode in addition to 'Track Mode'? What are you finding? Northern states, Canadians, northern Europe, 辽宁省 Liáoníng Shěng?

Given the brains in the vehicle, the sensors, the amazing ability to direct force to wheels in a more responsive manner than an ICE- Tesla could build the best snow driver of all - things like throttle adjustment to move weight to front or back wheels depending on whether the car was under or oversteering at the time while in a partial powerslide - could all be done automatically - or at the very least - allowed.

Batteries don’t like cold so it’ll use it own power to keep itself warm. You will notice less range but not like the car completely stops working in the cold. In fact driving this car in the cold is nicer for me mostly because of how it doesn’t need time to warm up the cabin. But yes google it and you’ll find a lot of things with more numbers than I can provide

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with MY on snow has not been very impressive so far. Last time I've driven AWD in snow was >5yrs ago, it was a Mitsubishi Montero 3.5l on proper winter tires, so maybe I forgot how to do it properly.

MY tends to slide off the path on a slick road, even with minimal acceleration. Sending the car into a drift is also a shaky and unpleasant experience. Maybe I should spend a bit more time playing, and of course getting winter tires - but thought I'd share my initial impressions

My experience with MY on snow has not been very impressive so far. Last time I've driven AWD in snow was >5yrs ago, it was a Mitsubishi Montero 3.5l on proper winter tires, so maybe I forgot how to do it properly.

MY tends to slide off the path on a slick road, even with minimal acceleration. Sending the car into a drift is also a shaky and unpleasant experience. Maybe I should spend a bit more time playing, and of course getting winter tires - but thought I'd share my initial impressions

Which tires do you have? I've read that the Continental ProContact RX "all-seasons" that come on the 19" wheels are pretty bad in the winter, as well as on snow/ice. Seems to be backed up by overall reviews: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ProContact+RX. I have a Y LR AWD with 19" Geminis on order and since I'm in the upper Midwest, I'll probably replace the tires with a quality all-weather tire like the Vredestein Quatrac Pro's or get dedicated winter tires.

Which tires do you have? I've read that the Continental ProContact RX "all-seasons" that come on the 19" wheels are pretty bad in the winter, as well as on snow/ice. Seems to be backed up by overall reviews: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ProContact+RX. I have a Y LR AWD with 19" Geminis on order and since I'm in the upper Midwest, I'll probably replace the tires with a quality all-weather tire like the Vredestein Quatrac Pro's or get dedicated winter tires.

To clarify, your winter driving experience may improve with better tires, but I don't know if it will match your previous car. I am interested in your long-term impressions and if any updates improve it.

Reactions: Greyberry

Yes, those Continentals are the ones I have.