Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Agile plunge pricing predictions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember to keep an eye on your costs on Agile vs Go with:

Octopus Comparison

I tallied up September's consumption and was still about 15% cheaper than had I been using Go.

I'm not sure Agile is at its most beneficial over the winter months, and weird issues with power stations aren't helping currently.
Thanks for this, its an eye-opener for sure!

The difference so far between the two is a whopping 0.5p. Agile: £0.22 | Go: £0.27
We've been mindful of our usage but with kids, we can't help certain timings but I suspect the slight difference is partly because I haven't charged her up yet. Last plunge price I missed as my charger wasn't connected :oops:.

I'll be using this comparison for a while to see if I truly am better off with agile (hopefully without making silly boo-boos).

Curious to know what the rate people generally 'don't charge above' ranges from to be better off than Go

Reactions: Medved_77
Thanks for this, its an eye-opener for sure!

The difference so far between the two is a whopping 0.5p. Agile: £0.22 | Go: £0.27
We've been mindful of our usage but with kids, we can't help certain timings but I suspect the slight difference is partly because I haven't charged her up yet. Last plunge price I missed as my charger wasn't connected :oops:.

I'll be using this comparison for a while to see if I truly am better off with agile (hopefully without making silly boo-boos).

Curious to know what the rate people generally 'don't charge above' ranges from to be better off than Go

Is there any way of downloading the data or do you need to go through each day and manually note the prices?

Reactions: exlatccatsa
As far as I know it is day by day with the Octopus Comparison service.

You could use the Octopus API if you wanted to invest the time into pulling your data automatically and in bulk.

There are a few apps for iOS/Android that will let you save the data, also many scripts shared by other users or just invest a few minutes in setting up a spreadsheet to use the Octopus API...

Reactions: MikeeUK

From limited experience largely over the warmer months, adding 40% makes full use of the cheap 4 hours of Go (M3P). I will probably reduce as it gets colder. 4 hours is also just perfect to fully charge the Powerwall too.

I’ll just add for avoidance of doubt, I’m fully aware I’ll not recover the capital cost of the PW ;)

I’ll just add for avoidance of doubt, I’m fully aware I’ll not recover the capital cost of the PW ;)

I've been comparing battery storage system prices and likely savings for a couple of years now, as I put in everything to be able to easily fit a battery system when I built the house. As you say, it's hard to recover the capital expenditure. A simple estimate of the best saving likely is to look at the usable capacity of the battery, assume that this will always be available and be consumed every day, work out the charge cost of that and then estimate the saving.

For example, if 8 kWh per day could be shifted from peak electricity at ~15p/kWh to cheap electricity at 5p/kWh, then the saving would be about £0.56/day, or around £200 a year (assuming a few days holiday). In practice this will be an overestimate, as the chances are that the usable battery capacity won't be used every day. Even if it was possible to save ~£200/year, that would still take a long time to pay for a ~12kWh battery system (working on the basis that best battery life means running over about a 65% SoC range). The calendar life of a battery system is probably around 10 to 12 years, based on the typical life of inverters, so unless the cost for a 12 kWh maximum, 8 kWh daily usable, system comes down to less than about £2000 to £2400 the chances are it won't recover it's initial cost.

I've been comparing battery storage system prices and likely savings for a couple of years now, as I put in everything to be able to easily fit a battery system when I built the house. As you say, it's hard to recover the capital expenditure. A simple estimate of the best saving likely is to look at the usable capacity of the battery, assume that this will always be available and be consumed every day, work out the charge cost of that and then estimate the saving.

For example, if 8 kWh per day could be shifted from peak electricity at ~15p/kWh to cheap electricity at 5p/kWh, then the saving would be about £0.56/day, or around £200 a year (assuming a few days holiday). In practice this will be an overestimate, as the chances are that the usable battery capacity won't be used every day. Even if it was possible to save ~£200/year, that would still take a long time to pay for a ~12kWh battery system (working on the basis that best battery life means running over about a 65% SoC range). The calendar life of a battery system is probably around 10 to 12 years, based on the typical life of inverters, so unless the cost for a 12 kWh maximum, 8 kWh daily usable, system comes down to less than about £2000 to £2400 the chances are it won't recover it's initial cost.
That's a good summary of where I've got to - much as I love the technology and want to support a transition to renewable energy, at the moment I can't see the benefit of having my own storage over just using a supplier that sources 100% renewable electricity.
I bought an electric car at a big premium over a conventional ICE but I get the benefit of a better driving experience - a box of tricks doing its thing in the garage isn't so tangible.
In my case I have a biomass boiler which feeds a thermal store, so I think in theory I could dump off-peak/home generated electricity into that instead. Something to investigate in a few years when the RHI grant runs out. Electrifying my heating is something I would consider even if it is a bit more expensive because as well as being greener it has the tangible benefit of removing the need to feed the boiler, and waiting in for wood deliveries six times a year.
Hopefully in the future we'll have (a) cheaper batteries, (b) incentives to use home storage to help with grid power management and possibly even (c) vehicle to home/vehicle to grid systems, to help the pricing get closer to competing with current conventional systems.

I spent ages trying to create a detailed model to work out the likely saving on electricity bills in comparison to the cost of a battery system. In the end, I realised that I could get within about 10% or so just by estimating how much battery capacity we could possibly use each day.

We have a fairly large PV system, so that reduces the daytime electricity use a lot, and even on dull days (like right now) the PV will generate enough to stop the house importing from the grid for most of the day. In our case, we have a background load at night of around 200 W (the water disinfection unit, sewage treatment plant air pump and MVHR system, mainly) and a background load in the daytime of between 250 W and 350 W. There are short duration loads that are much higher, like cooking, and appliances, but overall these aren't that significant, the dominant factor is the background load, because it's there 24/7. During winter, and assuming there's no day time charging from PV, the cost saving comes from the amount of battery energy from overnight off-peak charging that we can use during the peak period, so 17 hours at around 300 to 350 W, which is between 5 and 6 kWh, or about £0.35 - £0.42 per day. For much of the year the saving comes from being able to charge for free and then run off the battery at night, so roughly £0.45 to £0.50 per day. Over the course of a year this comes to around £150 to £160 or thereabouts.

My detailed model, which uses actual recorded energy use, in 6 minute intervals, over about 4 years, estimated a saving of about £153.50, so plenty close enough to the "quick and dirty" method. Doing these calcs has shown that we don't need a large battery pack for the house. Around 10 kWh would be plenty, as we'd rarely use more than about 6 kWh from it. The car will either be charged using excess PV generation in summer, or using off peak electricity, so has no impact on the house battery system. I also found that there was no point in sizing an inverter for a battery system to meet the peak demand from the house, especially as larger inverters have a higher phantom power level. Short duration, high power loads, like cooking, make very little difference, so having to import a bit at peak rates makes little difference to the bill. I've pretty much settled on using a 3 kW inverter if we do opt for battery storage, as that's more than enough to meet the base load plus things like boiling water for tea.

Reactions: cezdoc
Predicted for north east
BECD1FC7-EA6C-4FC1-AF2D-2F1498A9FBDA.png

It's the first plunge since I switched in July - have already set the car, washing machine, dishwasher etc on timers
1f600.png

(....may cut the grass by floodlight, use the hedge trimmers & cut some wood on the bench saw. International Space Station might see our lights as it passes if I manage to screw 200w incandescents back into every socket in time
1f631.png
)

It's the first plunge since I switched in July - have already set the car, washing machine, dishwasher etc on timers
1f600.png

(....may cut the grass by floodlight, use the hedge trimmers & cut some wood on the bench saw. International Space Station might see our lights as it passes if I manage to screw 100w incandescents back into every socket in time
1f631.png
)

Loosing my Virginity too, odd excitement! I was drawn in by the low 2.7p showing last night for today at 2230 but didn't expect this lol.

Might be a tad wet to cut the grass! Enjoy

Reactions: Drew57
1f600.png

(....may cut the grass by floodlight, use the hedge trimmers & cut some wood on the bench saw. International Space Station might see our lights as it passes if I manage to screw 200w incandescents back into every socket in time
1f631.png
)
Suggest there's no better time to vacuum your driveway too.

• Funny
Reactions: Drew57 and Godsense