Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Agile plunge pricing predictions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is how the grid is going to be powered tomorrow ...

1*AnWwzbB42U5RlpVqRckdkg.jpeg

My understanding from earlier posts is that one could switch directly from Agile to Go but could not return to Agile within 30 days. Is that how Octopus has interpreted it for other customers?

Now waiting for further response from Octopus.
Switching from a smart tariff to another is OK immediately but only as long as you have been on the prior tariff for +30 days so unless you started your current Agile tariff less than 30 days ago this advice is wrong (Philip Steele of Octopus Energy had confirmed this on another site).

An explanation could be that you haven't been on the Agile tariff long enough yet?

Warning Date/Time
(GMT)
Warning Text
Warning Date/Time
(GMT)
Warning Text
2021-01-12 16:34 From : Power System Manager - National Grid Electricity Control Centre ELECTRICITY MARGIN NOTICE An ELECTRICITY MARGIN NOTICE has been issued by the System Operator to encourage market actions to increase System Margins. For the period: from 15:00 hrs to 19:00 hrs on Wednesday 13/01/2021 There is a reduced system margin. System margin shortfall 1150 MW Maximum Generation Service may be instructed. Trading Points, Control Points and Externally interconnected System Operators are requested to notify National Grid of any additional MW capacity. Suppliers please advise National Grid of any additional Demand Control available The situation will be reviewed again by National Grid at 11:00 hours and an update issued. This Notification of Issue of a GB Transmission System Warning - ELECTRICITY MARGIN NOTICE Issued at 16:30 hrs on 12/01/2021 Issued by Pat Stewart National Grid Electricity Control Centre ************** Information Note:- As the System Operator, National Grid are responsible for balancing the electricity system in the final hours before real-time. We have a number of routine tools we can use to help us do this, this toolkit includes ELECTRICITY MARGIN NOTICES. An ELECTRICITY MARGIN NOTICE is used to send a signal to the electricity market. It highlights that, in the short-term, we would like a greater safety cushion (margin) between power demand and available supply. It does not signal that blackouts are imminent or that there is not enough generation to meet current demand.
The forecast Carbon Intensity for tomorrow and the day after is in the 400g/kWh, which is the highest I've ever seen it so I wonder if those Diesel gensets @Glan gluaisne referred to are going to be doing some work tomorrow...

Switching from a smart tariff to another is OK immediately but only as long as you have been on the prior tariff for +30 days so unless you started your current Agile tariff less than 30 days ago this advice is wrong (Philip Steele of Octopus Energy had confirmed this on another site).

An explanation could be that you haven't been on the Agile tariff long enough yet?

I have been on agile since 3rd January and I managed to switch to Go today. Received confirmation.

. Maybe it's 14 days cooling off period?

Gas generation has ramped up quickly this morning, but coal isn't doing as much as expected. Looks like we now have more CCGT plants online; IIRC a couple were shutdown for maintenance until shortly before Christmas. My guess is that there's been a scramble to get as much running as possible to cash in on the generation opportunity with renewables being a bit on the low side. Coal's only running at around 8% of total demand at the moment, and could deliver a fair bit more if needed. We're not yet importing via the second French interconnector yet, either.

I've looked all over the Octopus website, have even switched to the old dashboard, but can't find a way to switch tariff online. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Maybe I just can't see the wood for the trees!
You can only switch to the standard Octopus Go or Agile tariff online via each of their pages.

Go: Octopus Energy
Agile: Introducing Agile Octopus: The 100% green smart tariff with Plunge Pricing

If you need to switch to any other tariff (including Go Faster) you need to email or phone Octopus.

Reactions: darkNstormy
I've looked all over the Octopus website, have even switched to the old dashboard, but can't find a way to switch tariff online. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Maybe I just can't see the wood for the trees!
If you're switching from Agile to Go, log into your account and then this page:

Octopus Energy

At the bottom there's an option to sign up if you're already an Octopus customer.

You may/may not get an error when you have to accept the terms and conditions though.