Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Agile plunge pricing predictions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Octopus must have heard our cries..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210310_185857.jpg
    Screenshot_20210310_185857.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 49
Over the last 12 months I'm still in pocket with Agile by £78 however today with over 50% of UK consumption being supplied by wind & solar I expected the rates to be much lower.
OK tonight is good and well overdue but tomorrow is back to being horrible with that £78 being whittled away with a vengeance.
No wonder small energy companies are having problems surviving, the market has gone silly.

I gave up on Agile back in February, Go seems the happy mix for me right now, with increasing car use and general low use for home. Plus I don't miss that evening peak.

@Mr Miserable Great to hear your still saving, my avg was more skewed as I'd only been on it a few months I suspect.

Interesting blog post and it does go to show how complicated the energy market is. Especially now with the hunt for greener energy.

I tried Agile at the start of April and lasted two weeks before switching back to Go. I honestly can’t see how the product, with today being a very rare exception, is anything other than seriously uncompetitive

Rates on most days range between 11-35p /kwh and even with a battery I found myself fighting a losing battle - and not even close. With the market price pressure heading ever upwards I can’t see how Octopus will be able to keep offering the product for much longer as surely they’ll have no one using it?!

I tried Agile at the start of April and lasted two weeks before switching back to Go. I honestly can’t see how the product, with today being a very rare exception, is anything other than seriously uncompetitive

Rates on most days range between 11-35p /kwh and even with a battery I found myself fighting a losing battle - and not even close. With the market price pressure heading ever upwards I can’t see how Octopus will be able to keep offering the product for much longer as surely they’ll have no one using it?!
On the contrary, Agile is here to stay and E.On are about to launch their own variant. If the market doesn't rebalance soon, Go prices will increase.

On the contrary, Agile is here to stay and E.On are about to launch their own variant. If the market doesn't rebalance soon, Go prices will increase.
Yes, Go is looking like a heck of a deal right now. Way cheaper than Agile for me and much more convenient. Unfortunately I think you are right that the price may have to go up a bit because Octopus can’t be making much money on it.

Yes, Go is looking like a heck of a deal right now. Way cheaper than Agile for me and much more convenient. Unfortunately I think you are right that the price may have to go up a bit because Octopus can’t be making much money on it.
I’ve been on the same Go rate since November 2019. With solar and Powerwalls, the electricity portion of my bill for April was 45 pence. Not much profit in that!

Tomorrow my Agile export tariff should be coming online, which means I can elect to dump some of my battery back into the grid if I fancy a bit of brokerage action.

For anyone that does this, what inverter losses do you factor in to your calculations for the round trip? Is something like 20% considered enough, or more like 30%?

I know Powerwalls are very efficient but you don't have the option to electively export.

Its a arbitrary additional cost to disincentivise use during evening peak.
Thanks. So my take is Agile can only be worthwhile if you have a battery storage system. You are in effect being arbitrarily penalised by Octopus for assisting the management of the grid. The wholesale price fluctuates by a few pence not 25+ pence. The competition will come from who penalises you less. I pay a flat rate (all day) of 12.214p/kwh + 20p/day. I can charge, cook anytime and typically use 8500 kwh/y day and 7500 kwh/y at night (high user). Am I missing something?

Thanks. So my take is Agile can only be worthwhile if you have a battery storage system. You are in effect being arbitrarily penalised by Octopus for assisting the management of the grid. The wholesale price fluctuates by a few pence not 25+ pence. The competition will come from who penalises you less. I pay a flat rate (all day) of 12.214p/kwh + 20p/day. I can charge, cook anytime and typically use 8500 kwh/y day and 7500 kwh/y at night (high user). Am I missing something?
For me personally there's 2 factors:
1 - It's made me very aware of electricity generation and how the weather and usage patterns also influences those, and has made us very mindful of when we use electricity and how much we use.
2 - This has lead to cheaper bills than our old electricity provider.