Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Agile plunge pricing predictions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. So my take is Agile can only be worthwhile if you have a battery storage system. You are in effect being arbitrarily penalised by Octopus for assisting the management of the grid. The wholesale price fluctuates by a few pence not 25+ pence. The competition will come from who penalises you less. I pay a flat rate (all day) of 12.214p/kwh + 20p/day. I can charge, cook anytime and typically use 8500 kwh/y day and 7500 kwh/y at night (high user). Am I missing something?

On Octopus Go (based on rates I pay) you would save £434.63 a year on what you are presently paying (£1418.81 on your quoted rates) ... but this does make some assumptions that may not be acceptable/possible i.e. do your charging at night during a 4 hour slot and also time your other night time usage for that cheap rate period too. However, this does suggest that there are cheaper options. (Octopus Go Faster offer some 5 hours cheap rate slots too.)

1621526355677.png

By the way, does anyone here use the OctopusCompare app on an iPhone? I've gone from Android to iOS and while the Android notification was spot on around 4pm every day, I cannot get the iPhone to play ball. Weirdly, I have it on an iPad too and notifications are working there.

View attachment 664183

By the way, does anyone here use the OctopusCompare app on an iPhone? I've gone from Android to iOS and while the Android notification was spot on around 4pm every day, I cannot get the iPhone to play ball. Weirdly, I have it on an iPad too and notifications are working there.
hi, yes I use it on iPhone - works absolutely fine and as you say updates every day at 4pm faultlessly. Very clearly showing me how much I'm saving now I've gone back to Go having experimented with Agile for a very short time - looks like today is one of the rare days you'll be able to fill your boots if you are on Agile....

looks like today is one of the rare days you'll be able to fill your boots if you are on Agile....
Yes, we moved from Agile back to Go after about 9 months of significant savings starting with first lockdown last year, but simply cannot make a cost case without having solar nor battery, and never easily being able to shift usage entirely away from Agile peak. Savings over Agile since moving back to Go are running at over £20 per week currently...

IMG_3645.PNG

hi, yes I use it on iPhone - works absolutely fine and as you say updates every day at 4pm faultlessly. Very clearly showing me how much I'm saving now I've gone back to Go having experimented with Agile for a very short time - looks like today is one of the rare days you'll be able to fill your boots if you are on Agile....

Well, I just checked may own consumption for yesterday and I was still cheaper on Go despite the Agile price recovery... and over the past week I am £8.50 in favour of Go over Agile. Seems very different to last year.

When does Agile get cheaper? I thought now summer is here I could start gloating again but alas it's not to be! As each day goes by I'm struggling to not move to their Go tariff. Knowing my luck though, I'll change and Agile will start being cheaper!

When does Agile get cheaper? I thought now summer is here I could start gloating again but alas it's not to be! As each day goes by I'm struggling to not move to their Go tariff. Knowing my luck though, I'll change and Agile will start being cheaper!
I agree, I understand that wholesale prices have gone up for various reasons but it does seem to be very hard to keep the faith.

All very much dependent on personal circumstances of course, but I'm finding Agile export rates really help to offset the higher costs of Agile when in it's sunny but not windy. I get a period in the day which coincides with the 4pm peak, where the battery is full and I've put a few excess kW in the car that I can export a decent 60-90 minutes back at 14/15p. Could be a bit gnarly to say the least in winter but in these summer months it's not too shabby.

If you can get onto Go Faster with a 20:30 - 00:30 window as we have done then you can also benefit from the Go Rate for Domestic Appliances such as Dishwasher, Tumble Dryer, Washing Machine etc. with minimal domestic upheaval. For us that's probably the overall sweet spot.

Reactions: Cloggie and Durzel
If you can get onto Go Faster with a 20:30 - 00:30 window as we have done then you can also benefit from the Go Rate for Domestic Appliances such as Dishwasher, Tumble Dryer, Washing Machine etc. with minimal domestic upheaval. For us that's probably the overall sweet spot.
I am on the go faster :2030-23:30 for that reason. Problem I am finding is the occasions when my battery is lowest are the ones where I get home late from a long journey and then I have missed some or all of the go period. I was ideal during lockdown but might have to move it a bit later or go back to go standard 4 hours at some point now that I am travelling more. Also with only 3 hours on go faster if the car is at 20% or less I can't set the max charge to less than 50% to stay in the 3 hour window.

Yes, we moved from Agile back to Go after about 9 months of significant savings starting with first lockdown last year, but simply cannot make a cost case without having solar nor battery, and never easily being able to shift usage entirely away from Agile peak. Savings over Agile since moving back to Go are running at over £20 per week currently...

View attachment 664244
Thanks for posting.
really interesting to see that comparison.

That’s some pretty hefty consumption if you don’t mind me saying. I can see why keeping a close eye on the potential savings is important for you. Are you driving a lot and charging every day?

I think my max consumption (4 ppl, 4 bed house) in any one day is 25 kWh even with 10 kWh of charging

Even with solar and batteries I have installed, I’m sticking with Go for this year. I’m daunted enough by my new Model 3, a Zappi etc. I’m just going old school and timing my consumption at the Go off peak time.

Even with solar and batteries I have installed, I’m sticking with Go for this year. I’m daunted enough by my new Model 3, a Zappi etc. I’m just going old school and timing my consumption at the Go off peak time.

Do you use the Octopus Compare app to see how things are going? I check out my actual usage against Agile and Go at the click of a button and Go remains massively cheaper for me (about 50% of my total kWhs is from car charging during Go cheap rate and about 50% house the rest of the time). Clearly the solar and battery elements will make the numbers come out differently for you but it would be interesting to check.