TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Agree" button for rating posts

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Lex, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Lex

Lex Member

When another owner or member has made an accurate statement, I would to be able to "Agree" as it's not always a Like / Love / Helpful thing.

And I have a feeling more people will "Agree" with posts, and adopt the rating system, which could then be leveraged to create custom pages, feeds, etc.

I've been studying EQ and am trying to expand my vocabulary of feeling words :) Just sayin'. Thoughts ?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  2. deonb

deonb Active Member

I think "Like" and "Agree" is the same. It's used that way in Facebook.

What would be nice is to have a: "Awww... dude, that sucks" button. We've been needing a lot of those recently :(.

• Dislike x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I said this in this thread: New Forum Design

Then one of my kids told me there is no "Dislike" button on Facebook (I barely use it) and said we're worse than Facebook... yikes!

• Like x 2
  4. CliffG

CliffG Member

I hit "Like" for this, but actually mean "agree". FWIW, I've thought we should also have "disagree" and "WTF?"

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Lex

Lex Member

Yes, I "Agree" with CliffG and Canuck, and "Disagree" with DeonB.

I think we can safely aspire to providing a better venue for discussion here than Facebook.

6. EldestOyster

EldestOyster Member

Buttons such as that one are always good, as they save us from making (or reading) "me too" posts.

• Like x 2
  7. Lex

Lex Member

I agree ! I wish I could just click something ... ;)

8. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

+1

By the way what is this Face Book ya'll are referring to?

• Funny x 1
  9. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

But how else am I going to become an "active member"? Me too, me too, me too....

Yes, I agree, better button options (I originally, and still hate the "dislike" button, since day 1 of the new forum format).

10. dehydratedH2O

dehydratedH2O Member

I still haven't figured out how to use the buttons. Does one have to have a certain post count?

11. Lex

Lex Member

Yes it might be 50 or 100 posts. We've all been there ;) On the old forum these did not exist but I recall other limitations (not being able to edit bio ?) until I hit the number.

I see most of us agree, and I have given this topic more thought -- I'd be perfectly happy seeing "Helpful" renamed to "I agree" as I seem to be one of the only people using it, and every time I have, it is primarily because, well, I agree :D I have a feeling it will get a lot more love.

12. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I'd like to see a "snippy" button instead of the offender being whisked-away to the principal's office (snippy thread). Yank it completely if vile & offensive but otherwise, let people duke things out and resolve differences among themselves. Censorship is not American.

• Like x 1
  13. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Oh, but it's such a nice guilty pleasure to see those new snippy posts... Since I "watch" the snippiness thread ;)

14. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

HAHA.....all in one neat little place! But you loose the juicy context as individual snippets, no? Still, it does seem grandma-like to be protected from the tribal consequences of your words.

• Like x 2
  15. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Yes, the loss of context is often problematic, but since a bunch of related threads are usually pulled en masse, it makes for pretty enjoyable reading. It's the individual pulled thread that is confusing. As for grandma-like, I'll leave that to the forum owners to decide. Meanwhile, back to my guilty pleasures... Some new ones showed up earlier...:D

• Funny x 1
  16. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

Oooops... :eek: apologies to the 'sage, chief-like-wisdom' of the owners. No grandmas.

• Funny x 1
  17. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Why does the word "Depends" come to mind... Oh, the imagery. :p

• Funny x 1
  18. Lex

Lex Member

I too am in favor of the current method of dealing with snippiness, as there is there is a Signal-to-Noise problem here already as there are high volumes of posts and it can be difficult to stay on-topic (it's just a coincidence here, since we are actually talking about the board so it was bound to happen hehe ;)

Actually I feel the Snippiness treatment sets a tone for members, eg. to check their attitudes at the door. This sort of forum always works better especially over time if it stays mostly fact-based in the specific vehicle areas, but since we're humans the human chatter is bound to break out sometimes too.

Chatter is already enough of a S/N problem when you're looking for data in a 187 page and growing thread, and the snippy back-and-forth stuff is just a waste of everybody's time as it rarely contains any signal.

19. Lex

Lex Member

This is still an issue for me. "Like" is simply not equivalent to "Agree".

The bottom line is that "Like" is an emotion and does not necessarily suggest you've had the exact same experience like "Agree" does.

And since this is a club forum about an advanced device, I would say this should lean us towards science, not emotion. And the people who really want to show emotion will probably post instead of using the social element, anyway.

What say you Tesla Motors Club ? Can we get an "Agree" button ?

• Like x 1
  20. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

I agree. I wish there was an 'Agree' button in addition to 'Like' button.

• Helpful x 1