TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ahh! I locked my key fob in the car while 70 miles from home!

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Francis Lau, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

I am on the way to Vancover BC and on my first stop, my daugther took my key fob and left it on the back seat and the car locked. I panicked for 30 seconds and realized that I have the iPhone app that can unlock the car. And it worked! Whew!

Thanks to everyone who made the unlock feature!!

2. Vger

Vger Active Member

Very cool Francis! Glad your visit to us up north was not ruined!

3. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I was just going to suggest the app. Good for you!

4. dtich

dtich #P708

i've used the unlock/lock several times already to stash shopping, whathaveyou, in my car while valet parked and i had no access to the key. super handy. not to mention never having to worry about remembering where i parked my car ever again.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I used the lock/unlock feature to access the car while in valet parking (though I parked it I had to leave the key). Also allowed me to swap over the charge cable when the other Model S was done. Very handy indeed!

6. rsquared99

rsquared99 Member

I thought an earlier thread talked about the car not locking when the fob was "lost" inside the car. Did I mis-read something?

7. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

I'm surprised they would allow the fob to become locked in the car. Both my current Lexus and my wife's Leaf do not allow this. In the case of the Lexus the car beeps in a particular way when you attempt to lock it with a fob inside and does not lock.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Depends on where the fob is lost. There are some dead zones.

9. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

The fob was on the back seat, non-driver side, taunting me :)

The handles retracted and I assumed it locked. Maybe not? Maybe I could have pressed on the handle to open it? I won't experiment until I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

I also realized now that I am in Canada that since US cars loses 3G in Canada, the app does not work. Bummer.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Yeah. Ditto. Toyota's w/smart key system emit a very LONG beep if you try looking it inside (from my experience w/my Prius). Nissan's emit a series of rapid beeps (from my mom's Altima Hybrid).

11. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

You guys give the car to valet?? I guess I've got to relax a bit, and trust the teenage valets a bit more.

12. Sigma4Life

Sigma4Life Member

I never let valets drive my car. I always park it myself and then pay them a tip for letting me park it.

13. jdesmo

jdesmo Member

I don't believe a 'smart' key will allow you to lock the car from the outside, if the key is inside.

14. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Having played wtih a MS in Arizona with the FOB in the car, the car was not locked.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Yes, but there are a couple of dead spots in the back of the Prius and if the fob just happens to be in one of them... I suspect most cars have one or more dead spots. However because you normally never take the fob out of your pocket, it's not normally an issue.

16. smd

smd Member

I'm just imagining now leaving the the key in the car AND my iPhone attached to the USB as the car locks itself. I guess I'd have to find a stranger and ask "Can I install an app onto your iPhone so I can unlock my car?" :confused:

Just remember to log out of the stranger's Tesla Model S app.

17. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I have done this on purpose before when taking my car to the car wash. I just touched the handles and they extended and I opened the door. I wasn't too worried since I knew that I had the app as a backup way to unlock the car if it did not let me in.

I will be more carefull where I leave the FOB realizing that there are deadzones in the car