Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ahh ruined the white interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have the ultra white seats in our 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D - and haven't had any problems.

We normally don't have anything covering the seats.

But, when we want to protect the seats (when sitting with dirty/sweaty/wet clothes or when putting in a car seat), we use large ultra white bath sheets (the largest towel size) and put those over the seats. To make that easier, we added some snaps at one end of the sheets, that loops over the headrest to keep the towels in place. And when we're done, we'll take them off - and wash the towels, if needed.

At least so far (we've had the S since March 2017), this has worked well to keep our seats in new condition - and the cost of purchasing the towels and adding the snaps is pretty low... And keep them in the cars at all times (usually in the lower rear storage compartment).

Reactions: olsookie and Need
I also have white seats that look new. Again I wipe the seats down with Dawn dishwashing soap (non bleach) let it foam up before it drys wipe it off with a damp cloth. Again I use a very soft towel for both I have a kids and I don't use care seats but I will cover them with a white Terry cloth towel for when they wear new jeans or black pants.

I am not claiming to be an expert by any means, but I have seen recommendations from certified child passenger safety technicians (yes, a CPST is a real thing) that putting anything under a car seat - towel or mat - is not advisable. Biggest reason is that the towel or mat may alter the performance of the seat during a crash - unless said towel or mat was crash tested with the car seat which is highly unlikely.

I put the safety of my passengers above anything aesthetic. Just saying.

Reactions: Bogobec
I am not claiming to be an expert by any means, but I have seen recommendations from certified child passenger safety technicians (yes, a CPST is a real thing) that putting anything under a car seat - towel or mat - is not advisable. Biggest reason is that the towel or mat may alter the performance of the seat during a crash - unless said towel or mat was crash tested with the car seat which is highly unlikely.

I put the safety of my passengers above anything aesthetic. Just saying.
With the child seat firmly anchored by the LATCH points on the bottom and the tether strap on top, I'm not sure how the seat can budge in an accident unless it was catastrophic, in which case it wouldn't matter if there was a pad/towel underneath the seat or not.

Now, if someone put really thick padding under the seat (which may be what the CPST caution is meant to address), I can see the seat rocking a bit in a crash, but with a thin pad or towel, there's no give to it.

Last edited:
I would be careful with harsher products, like toothpaste (which has some fluoride, flavors, and dye) but that did get me thinking. You might try BoneAmi (Calcium carbonate, pretty much just a very fine inert white powder that might help polish off the plastic without scratching) or Bar Keeps Friend (oxalis acid so more for iron or other metal stains, than plastic or polishing).

I found a serious ballpoint mark on my white rear seat yesterday. I tried using soap to get it out, but 30% was still visible... finally i raided my wife’s makeup drawer and tried “nail polish remover” using a makeup removing pads... and...... (drum roll).... came right off in 5 seconds.
I am such a fan of Tesla white interior.

How about putting a white towel on the seat before putting in the car seat ?
That's what we do. We have oversized ultra white towels - which are whiter than the seats - and have protected the seats from a child seat or when we sit after exercising or coming in from the rain. If the towels get dirty - they can be washed...