Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ahh the dreaded 2 hr call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
scheduled to pickup at 10am central today... at 8:13am get a call from tesla... "we're so sorry, we just noticed a dent on the drivers door and we can't deliver this car today"... I asked is it a dent that needs paint or a something that dentless repair can fix, they said they don't know... anycase... here's my dilemma... i have to be out of the country for the next few weeks, today is literally the only day i can accept delivery of a car until the end of september. do I take the car today and get paperwork done and have them fix the dent, or just release the car and vin and tell them to get me another one and restart the paperwork with my loan since it'll be with a different vin and my credit union will have to redo the loan and everything...

i don't really need the car right now... but it feels like a pretty big gamble with trying to get a new vin and redoing the coordination of paperwork and everything.. on top of which, i've already sold my car.... i don't need a car for a few weeks as i'm out of the country, but if they take their sweet time and don't match me to a vin when i get back then i'm a bit screwed...

decisions... decisions... decisions...

Seems a no brainer to me. Take the car and just get documentation (a "due bill" or whatever they call it) that they will fix the dent. I would not release the VIN. God knows when you'll get another one with this company.
yeah thats what i'm leaning towards... delivery guy @ tesla says he has to go "look at the dent first" to tell me if they'll allow that...

doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't allow.. unless they are hiding something else

yeah thats what i'm leaning towards... delivery guy @ tesla says he has to go "look at the dent first" to tell me if they'll allow that...

doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't allow.. unless they are hiding something else

They don't allow certain levels of badly damaged cars to be sold to the public because its a PR nightmare and everyone has an ax to grind with Tesla. You could sell your story to the shorts and it would be all over TV.

So I Sent back my reply stating I want the car still, I called and left probably a dozen messages. I called and talked to the only people who would pickup the phone at the Westmont IL delivery center. Despite any of my actions, I can’t seem to get a response and now vin disappeared from my Tesla.com account. I’m wondering if they just decided to assign me a new vin and not tell me. This company is terrible when it comes to customer communications. Yes, I know they are in a high demand situation but atleast have the decency to respond to a phone call...

So I Sent back my reply stating I want the car still, I called and left probably a dozen messages. I called and talked to the only people who would pickup the phone at the Westmont IL delivery center. Despite any of my actions, I can’t seem to get a response and now vin disappeared from my Tesla.com account. I’m wondering if they just decided to assign me a new vin and not tell me. This company is terrible when it comes to customer communications. Yes, I know they are in a high demand situation but atleast have the decency to respond to a phone call...
Agree.

They are going to be in deep *sugar* if/when another manufacturer finally commits to producing an EV in that segment.

Agree.

They are going to be in deep *sugar* if/when another manufacturer finally commits to producing an EV in that segment.

I called and texted my delivery advisor at the delivery center. I know he’s gotten the message cuz his phone sends read confirmation but no response. This is just terrible. I resorted to even tweeting elonmusk asking why is this even acceptable.

John Hu on Twitter

Lets see if we can more forum users to reply on this tweet and maybe get some attention to the problem.

I’m perfectly accepting of the less than perfect answer, but atleast pickup the damn phone and tell me what the next step is and follow through on promised call backs even it’s just a we don’t know yet.

-john

Reactions: willa1975
I called and texted my delivery advisor at the delivery center. I know he’s gotten the message cuz his phone sends read confirmation but no response. This is just terrible. I resorted to even tweeting elonmusk asking why is this even acceptable.

John Hu on Twitter

Lets see if we can more forum users to reply on this tweet and maybe get some attention to the problem.

I’m perfectly accepting of the less than perfect answer, but atleast pickup the damn phone and tell me what the next step is and follow through on promised call backs even it’s just a we don’t know yet.

-john

It's crazy that they would call you telling you they can't make delivery because of a dent, but the person calling you hasn't actually seen the dent themselves.

John Hu on Twitter

-john
I was fine not hearing from anyone until my delivery was canceled.

Now, I would at least like an estimate of when I can expect another car and some reassurance that those whose deliveries were cancelled will be put at the front of the line. It would be nice to not have to apply for credit yet again and to know whether or not my trade-in will be honored.

First thing I thought of too.
So latest update. Delivery advisor finally emailed me and now tells me that the car is ready and they have fixed the dents and did not need repaint which he was adamant about just 2 days ago. I’m beginning to think you are right. The car wasn’t there and he just made up a story to stall.

Tesla needs to get their act together if they are going to survive the onslaught of the German manufacturers that have the backing of their government.

lol this is just a comedy of errors... I go there today to pickup the car after they said it was 100% ready to go on thursday. Get there, waited around for an hour, they come out and say sorry we have bad news... the backup camera is not coming on and its a safety hazard so engineering won't release the car... so now after 2 failed attempts and hours upon upon of wasted I am still car less... they said its in engineerings hands now to figure out whats wrong and earliest is now next Thursday due to engineering being too backed up to even look at the car. you really have to wonder why do we consumers subject ourselves to this abuse... they won't even offer anything to "make it right"

• Informative
Reactions: webdbbt and Sg911
oh and add on top of this.. in the 1 hour I was there, I witness them have to give 4 other people a variety of "bad news" that resulted in non-delivery, I literally only saw 1 car delivered in the 3 hours I wasted there today... I don't know if its just Westmont, IL being a poorly ran delivery center or if this is just indicative of Tesla as a company

lol this is just a comedy of errors... I go there today to pickup the car after they said it was 100% ready to go on thursday. Get there, waited around for an hour, they come out and say sorry we have bad news... the backup camera is not coming on and its a safety hazard so engineering won't release the car... so now after 2 failed attempts and hours upon upon of wasted I am still car less... they said its in engineerings hands now to figure out whats wrong and earliest is now next Thursday due to engineering being too backed up to even look at the car. you really have to wonder why do we consumers subject ourselves to this abuse... they won't even offer anything to "make it right"
That truly sucks. At least give me a frikking voucher for a cup of Starbucks coffee.