Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ahhh slower EVSE provided on new cars now!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears the new cars come with the 32A EVSE instead of 40A. They are cheaper to buy, but it is slower. They are screwing people over that have 50A connection at home.
So being able to charge the same amount in 5 hours instead of 4 hours is screwing? I think it would matter a couple of times in the life of the car, and ONLY for cars that rely daily on that device for charging.

It appears the new cars come with the 32A EVSE instead of 40A. They are cheaper to buy, but it is slower. They are screwing people over that have 50A connection at home.
They could install a HPWC on that 50A circuit if the 8A difference is that important, or buy the Corded Mobile Connector. For most people though it doesn’t matter what time during the night their car finishes charging.

Easy for you to say when you have the faster brick. How about they take away some of your hp, you only use it a few secs at a time
Perhaps. I don't use something labeled as a "Mobile Connector" for daily charging -- i think of it as something light-weight and portable to carry in the car for times I need to charge on the go. Compromises are made in the design to make it portable. Some of the compromises turned out to cause failures in long-term use, so rather than beef up the device forcing us to carry around a frozen garden hose of a cable, they cut back on the current flow.

For daily use, one needing fast charging should get an EVSE with enough power to maximize the charge rate. The MC is adequate for mobile use, as designed, or moderate (but usually adequate) daily use at a safe current.

Your choices were to get an MC with a big cable and run at 40A, or keep the portability and charge slower. I like the choice they made.

yup Tesla confirmed that new owners are getting shafted...
Shafted would be to arbitrarily drop the amperage after you bought the car
(current owners). That would be changing the rules mid-game and I would agree.. shafting you.
Tesla is doing this for safety reasons. Mobil chargers are for... mobil charging. I never run my mobil charger at 40 amps because it runs to hot.

Buy a wall charger.

We took delivery on the 12/18 and got the 32A UMC. It was defective as the ring kept going orange and red. They have to send a tech out to replace it with the 40A original one with the round bag. We don't need the Wall Charger. Between all the Superchargers and EV stations here, we just need to carry the J1772 adapter and leave the UMC at home.

We actually asked about getting the Wall Charger. Everyone at Tesla we talked to said we don't need the Wall Charger. My wife drove on average 10 to 40 miles a day.

Shafted would be to arbitrarily drop the amperage after you bought the car
(current owners). That would be changing the rules mid-game and I would agree.. shafting you.
Tesla is doing this for safety reasons. Mobil chargers are for... mobil charging. I never run my mobil charger at 40 amps because it runs to hot.

Buy a wall charger.

Do you mean $$ reason? How many older EVSE had caught on fire? I used my 40A one daily for the past 2.5 years, my house hasn't burnt down yet. I have no reason for a Tesla wall charger because I have other electric cars and I only have 50A fuse

Do you mean $$ reason? How many older EVSE had caught on fire? I used my 40A one daily for the past 2.5 years, my house hasn't burnt down yet. I have no reason for a Tesla wall charger because I have other electric cars and I only have 50A fuse

Yes $$ wise. But i agree, its unfortnate they didnt "beef up" the mobil charger instead of dropping the amperage, but the weak link is the adapter plugs and I'm guessing they wanted to stay compatble. The fact that your house hasnt burnt down yet isnt a reason not to take precautions. The previous owner of my 1st Tesla only used his Mobil adapter as well (3 years). Upon inspection of his charger the 14-50 adapter was deformed and burnt from years of use, obviously without his knowledge. Tesla swapped it out under warranty, saying this was relativly common for heavy users and recommeded a wall charger. I also charge at 32 amps as a precaution when traveling for piece of mind.

They had a recall on some of the adapter, not the 14-50
That's not correct; you just haven't been following it long enough. They actually had a recall of the 14-50 adapter first a very long time ago, in early 2014. Links here.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCRIT-14V006-1111.pdf
Tesla Recalls 29,000 Model S Chargers Over Fire Concerns
The recall on those others, the 14-30, 10-30, and 6-50, came later, in late 2016.
Tesla recalls charging adapters after two reports of plugs overheating

isnt the 32A new UMC is half price of the original one?

cheaper to replace and lighter to carry

I dont care 32A or 40A, if needs faster speed, why not HPWC

The new design looks like improve the heat transfer from the plug and cord. avoid plug melting and overheating due to longtime and high current EV charging (as stated on the above post)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
There are a variety of reasons why I use my UMC rather than getting an HPWC at home:

1) I don't want to get ripped off because I have a Tesla. The Tesla approved installers wanted a lot more for a HPWC install than what a normal electrician wanted to install a 14-50 outlet. Mention "Tesla" and the price seems to double over installing a 14-15 outlet for my "inlaw's RV"

2) I don't care about difference in charge speed. I drive less than 100mi per day, and park for over 8 hours.

3) I might move, and I don't want to have to buy another HPWC for the new house (or worry about writing the removal of the HPWC into the sale contract)

4) I might get a non-Tesla electric car or plug-in hybrid at some point, and would want get a J1772 charger which could charge both vehicles, rather than the HPWC, which just charges my Tesla. Many J1772 chargers will plug into a 14-50 outlet.

The only time I put my UMC in the car is for emergency charging on road trips. I've driven ~2500mi in 2 road trips since I got my car 6 weeks ago, and I've used my UMC away from home exactly 0 times.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
There are a variety of reasons why I use my UMC rather than getting an HPWC at home:

1) I don't want to get ripped off because I have a Tesla. The Tesla approved installers wanted a lot more for a HPWC install than what a normal electrician wanted to install a 14-50 outlet. Mention "Tesla" and the price seems to double over installing a 14-15 outlet for my "inlaw's RV"

2) I don't care about difference in charge speed. I drive less than 100mi per day, and park for over 8 hours.

3) I might move, and I don't want to have to buy another HPWC for the new house (or worry about writing the removal of the HPWC into the sale contract)

4) I might get a non-Tesla electric car or plug-in hybrid at some point, and would want get a J1772 charger which could charge both vehicles, rather than the HPWC, which just charges my Tesla. Many J1772 chargers will plug into a 14-50 outlet.

The only time I put my UMC in the car is for emergency charging on road trips. I've driven ~2500mi in 2 road trips since I got my car 6 weeks ago, and I've used my UMC away from home exactly 0 times.

Just installed a 14-50 instead of an hpwc due to cost difference also. However, a lot of the cost has nothing to do with getting "ripped off" if you took the time to price out the materials yourself. The wire alone on my job for the hpwc doubled the cost of the job. The labor is basically the same.

I only have a 48 amp charger on my model X so no need for 100amp hpwc anyways, but I may add it to my existing circuit (50 amp) in the future so I can charge at 40amp instead of 32amp and keep the mobile charger in the car at all times.

You could do the same in reverse by removing hpwc and take it with you and swap correct breakers and add a 14-50 for new owner.

Having a plug for other brand vehicles and not needing to charge faster makes it all moot regardless, just putting this here for others to read also. I'm not a pro at this but I think I have it all correct, feel free to correct me.

Just installed a 14-50 instead of an hpwc due to cost difference also. However, a lot of the cost has nothing to do with getting "ripped off" if you took the time to price out the materials yourself. The wire alone on my job for the hpwc doubled the cost of the job. The labor is basically the same.

I only have a 48 amp charger on my model X so no need for 100amp hpwc anyways, but I may add it to my existing circuit (50 amp) in the future so I can charge at 40amp instead of 32amp and keep the mobile charger in the car at all times.

You could do the same in reverse by removing hpwc and take it with you and swap correct breakers and add a 14-50 for new owner.

Having a plug for other brand vehicles and not needing to charge faster makes it all moot regardless, just putting this here for others to read also. I'm not a pro at this but I think I have it all correct, feel free to correct me.

In my case, my panel was in my garage. And the desired HPWC / 14-50 location was inches from the panel, so I think "Tesla owner == rich fool i can gouge" was more of a factor than materials. In the end, there was ~3 feet of conduit needed, since there was a mess of cables in the wall that the electrician didn't want to have to go through to run it out the bottom of the panel..
panel.jpg