Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

aiming headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S 75, it has the headlights that sorta shine to the side when you steer around corners. They started to fade under warranty and Tesla replaced them (a few months ago).
When I got the car back, the new headlights were pointed very low, like almost straight down it seemed. Light did not extend more than one car length in front of me. I could use the brights, and could see "OK" with them, and no oncoming traffic ever seemed to notice or mind.
So the car had to go back for a couple reasons, one of which was the aiming of headlights. When I asked them to aim the head lights, every Tesla service rep looked at me funny, as if I'd asked them to flush the blinker fluid or something.
Is aiming headlights not a thing with these modern headlights? Maybe they just fit in a fixture in the car, and it's just drop 'em in and done? Regardless they were installed incorrectly, if that's the case.
Car was in and out for a couple reasons, and they kept NOT aiming the headlights each time.
FFWD a bit, and after the third visit, they returned the car with newly aimed headlights, and one of them was even replaced. Weird. Not sure why they would need to be replaced; they worked fine, just needed aiming adjustment. Apparently they tested them and found a fault in one. Whatever.
Drove it home and wow, the beams were aimed way TOO HIGH now. FFS. Like the main beam path for "low" (normal) beams is pointing slightly up from horizontal, rather than slightly down. Brights just shoot up into the sky like the Luxor beam or something. I'm afraid of bringing down local air traffic at night.

So ... I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with these lights, and if anyone knows what is entailed in aiming them. I find this whole thing bizarre. I'm old school, but most other cars I've had, used 3 adjustment screws and I could aim them in my garage, and tweak them easily after driving a bit at night.

You can aim them with a hex wrench.

All you have to do is unscrew / remove the frunk's trim toward the front, and you'll have access to the top / back of the light. There will be a hole giving you access to the adjuster that your hex wrench will go into.

Last edited:
You can aim them with a hex wrench.

All you have to do is unscrew / remove the frunk's trim toward the front, and you'll have access to the top / back of the light. There will be a hole giving you access to the adjuster that your hex wrench will go into.
Cool! I'll give that a try when I get the car back.
Is this just one screw on each light? So is it an up/down adjustment only?

I’ve never had a Tesla that didn’t have the headlights aimed low. On my S’s,I open the frunk, pop the panels alongside the bin and use a long stemmed screwdriver. Counterclockwise raises the beam. One to one and a half turns usually does the job. Pointing the car at the wall of the garage helps get it right. Turn on lights, put tape to mark the high point on the beam and use that as a reference.

This is the back side of HID version of the light

1E4D9DE4-5CEB-4CCA-B177-804FB216AF98.jpeg

Just been recently behind the frunk and checked this up. At least on mine ‘16 dual motor model both the horizontal and vertical adjustment points are reachable by only removing the corresponding side panel (see photo). No need to take any further digging. First is if frunk is in place, second if removed. These are the HID headlamps.
3991D00E-E33C-4709-97CA-90EF24304AE1.jpeg

545281E0-FE56-45F5-A77A-E894A4BDA7CD.jpeg

Is there a spec for 'Factory Alignment' of the aim point for left and right main beam, i.e. X feet from car on pavement, or X inches high on wall screen Y distance from bumper? I have not found that spec anywhere and there seems to be a lot of personal preference. Thanks for any assistance.

RV8R, I've never heard of cars having specs for headlight adjustments. They should be high enough to light up the road but not blind the on coming traffic and they should also aim a little to the right to show the side of the road and should also be aimed so your looking at your side of the lane and not the on coming cars lane.

Well here it’s been quite long ago simple 5x5 rule, which means 5m from front of the car the beam should be 5cm down from horizontal hight. You need to convert this to imperial measurement. Haven’t measured this on my car but just recently been with ICE car to annual check and this was discussed during the test.

Reactions: seenhear
This is typically the procedure that I follow for HID/projector headlamps. Not sure about LED reflector style. Aiming Your Headlights
The problem I've always had with all of these guidelines, is I don't know of ANYWHERE, let alone my own garage/driveway, that has a flat/plumb surface that extends more than 10ft (plus length of car) from a vertical wall. I haven't even seen many auto shops/garages that have this kind of space.
Most driveways are designed to slope down and away from the garage. The garage itself is flat, but it's not 30ft deep, either.
How are you doing this DIY? Where do you get the correct distances on a flat surface?