TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Air Circulation in the rear seats???

Discussion in 'Model S' started by setritt, Feb 12, 2012.

1. setritt

setritt p6652

I know that there aren't any air vents for the rear facing seats but does anyone know if there is decent air circ back there? i wonder if it feels like the old station wagons i used to have to ride in when i was a kid.

2. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

At Menlo yesterday an 8-yr old kid sat in the back and closed the hatch. His head seemed pretty close to the glass when looking from the outside, but I couldn't tell how close really. He seemed comfortable enough, but I would cinch those belts down tight to make sure his head didn't hit the hatch when going over bumps. I guess air circulation shouldn't be a problem as there's a big opening to the main cabin and the volume of the rear hatch is quite large and deep. But if it's a very hot and sunny day will the A/C make it back there with enough volume? not sure

3. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

There are rear facing air vents for the back seats coming out of the center console.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I guess they could be angled to push air over the back seats and into the trunk area, but for the rear-facing seats I think it would be cooler to just have dedicated vents back there (default to closed as to not waste when no one is back there)

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Personally, I can't imagine putting my child back there in a Florida summer. For me the UV's are as dangerous (if not more so) than any AC concerns.

6. setritt

setritt p6652

couldn't agree more! model s version 1.5???

7. strider

strider Active Member

Modern window tint blocks 99.9% of UV w/ an equivalent SPF of 1000. Not sure if the factory tint (if any) is at that level but it's common among aftermarket tint manufacturers so you could just get the windows tinted and you'd be GTG. Window tint & window tinting for your car or auto - 3M US