Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Compression noise over bumps, Front Left side only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Aggmeister2010

Dec 26, 2018
SE USA
Hey folks,

It was a nice day yesterday, so I drove with my windows down for the first time in forever. I noticed that with the windows down I hear a very noticeable air compression sound when going over bumps, only from my front left area. (had wife drive to confirm, no noise from other side).

The noise is an air compression noise (like Pssh Pssh) coming from the driver's side wheel/suspension area over bumpy surfaces. I'm suspecting that sound is the metering valve porting the air in the shock that enables the dampening thereby absorpting bumps, etc. I can't think of any other suspension component that would make that sound....

I know that's a normal function of air struts, but this particular corner is quite loud, others operate silently. I'm considering just replacing that one strut to see if the sound goes away, but want to check if anyone else has experienced this first. It does this at all suspension heights.

BTW, the shock operates normally, it's not a leak, its just loud...and i hate that noise. I'll try to get a video, but that may be difficult.

I have the same issue. Heard regularly on both sides in the front. Lubricated everything bushing and boot I could see in there and gave the sway bars a little shake to feel if they were loose or had any play in them. No dice.

Mine ended up being the wheel hubs. The roller bearings inside were a little loose, making a noise over certain bumps.

No different to replace than hubs on any other FWD/AWD vehicle, you can do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined!

Here's the part: SKF Hub Bearing Assembly BR931008 Direct Replacement Chrome | eBay

Reactions: Gtech
Mine ended up being the wheel hubs. The roller bearings inside were a little loose, making a noise over certain bumps.

No different to replace than hubs on any other FWD/AWD vehicle, you can do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined!

Here's the part: SKF Hub Bearing Assembly BR931008 Direct Replacement Chrome | eBay
I needed to order wheel bearings after I thought it was all this other stuff with the suspension. I know the drill, yet I bought TRQ wheel bearing assemblies for maybe $250 shipped, and inside of 18 months I went through it a second time. I was looking for suspension wear and inevitably abs sensor errors led me to the wheel bearing, toast. All that to say, I should’ve bought the SKF unit to begin with, new axle nuts, red loctite, low friction LB8012 for the splines and inside cup. Now I’m doing it all again. Better to spend on the oem parts the first time.