Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air compressor recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already travel a lot and (knock on wood) have not had tire issues. But I will be traveling a lot more once I retire and start driving around the country.

I am looking for a reliable air compressor that I can inflate a tire with should I get a nail, screw, etc in my tire. Or even if I'm out boondocking and it gets super cold and when I go to leave my tires are low from the cold I could pump them up before hitting the road.
I want one that is 12v, prefer not a battery operated one. I want one that has a cigarette lighter plug or alligator clips. I want one that will last for years not one that fails halfway through it's first use (cough cough Napa). Small and lightweight for storage and whatnot.
There are so many on the market and I want to know what y'all have and also if you got one that was trash as to make sure I avoid that one.

I don't wanna have to call for a tow if I just get a damn nail and the tire goes flat.

I already travel a lot and (knock on wood) have not had tire issues. But I will be traveling a lot more once I retire and start driving around the country.

I am looking for a reliable air compressor that I can inflate a tire with should I get a nail, screw, etc in my tire. Or even if I'm out boondocking and it gets super cold and when I go to leave my tires are low from the cold I could pump them up before hitting the road.
I want one that is 12v, prefer not a battery operated one. I want one that has a cigarette lighter plug or alligator clips. I want one that will last for years not one that fails halfway through it's first use (cough cough Napa). Small and lightweight for storage and whatnot.
There are so many on the market and I want to know what y'all have and also if you got one that was trash as to make sure I avoid that one.

I don't wanna have to call for a tow if I just get a damn nail and the tire goes flat.

My minimum requirement is automatically shut off once the desired pressure is achieved so I can do other things while it does its job.

I bought the below and it has worked fine for the past more than 1.5 years:

$57.99 Neakhmer Tire Inflator

71qwdGTRS5L._AC_SX679_.jpg

It has worked fine for my Model X and 3 as I refill their air once a month.

Reactions: KyleDay
lots of threads here on TMC with reviews of 12v inflator options.

12v corded inflator
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015VXWZ9O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plug kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I52RG0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the abundance of cordless power tools, other options are:

RYOBI ONE+ 18V Cordless Power Inflator Kit with 1.5 Ah Battery and 18V Charger P737DKN - The Home Depo

Maybe I just got lucky but this has been great (mine is black but otherwise seems identical to the one in the link). Small, 12 volt cigarette lighter powered, auto shutoff and inflates to something like 125 psi (bike tires are around 80 psi, so a useful compressor). I've used it a lot on the car, golf cart and bike so it seems to hold up well to regular use. Fits in the frunk without taking up any room at all. Saved me waiting for roadside assistance once on a trip (and kept my wife from divorcing me). Wouldn't travel without it and a tire plug/repair kit in the car.