Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Compressor Replacement + Air Line & Air Shocks inspection DIY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd post this as it may be helpful for others. Especially if you can DIY and don't want to pay Tesla many £1000's to fix these air compressor/suspension-related issues.

I started to hear my air compressor turning on a lot more than it used to and it was getting a lot noisier than it used to be. At the same time, I started getting 'Air Compressor Disabled, Car Cannot Raise' messages, these increased as the temperature dropped to 0c and below.

The other issue I noticed was that the front left suspension was losing pressure and making the car sag on that front side. Clearly, this air shock or the lines to it were leaking and in turn making the compressor run a huge amount more than it was designed for.

To test the lines and suspension I got some leak detection spray and covered all the lines, connections, pumps and tank with it to see if anything was leaking. It wasn't. On to the shocks and the suspect shock created a nice foam party :) The other front one is fine as were both the back ones.

Good one:

IMG_3005.jpg

Bad one:

IMG_3008.jpg

Next thing to tackle was the Air Compressor itself. I would have loved to rebuild this but I can't find the parts, unfortunately. I found that this pump is used in the Audi Q5, Lamborghini Huracan, Porshe Panamera and probably others. It's made by Wabco with the motor by Lucas. I took it all apart and it was full of rust and most probably the press-fit piston ring shot. I have pics of this dismantled if anyone wants me to post them. I ordered a 3rd party part for £300. It has arrived and I fitted it today. It works well and is super quiet! The replacement air shock won't be with me for another 10 days so it will have to handle being used a little bit more than usual for a few days.

While changing the compressor I found another issue. One of the lines from the pump had been rubbed away by its surroundings. It's probably 0.1mm away from a pinhole! I'll order a new piece of line for this and move it away from the rubbing parts near it.

Compressor location (after I removed it) and 2nd pic circled where the black line had been rubbing against the electrical connector:

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

You need a few hours to troubleshoot, take things apart, and remove and reinstall the air compressor but it's an easy job. You do have to jack up the car (put it in jack mode) and remove the FR wheel so for anyone attempting this, make sure you use the right safety measures, Jack stands etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 776

[Pre-Refresh] Air leak due to damage at rubber portion of air spring module​

Description

Firmware Details
Steps To Test
Steps To Fix

Effects
Causes

DESCRIPTION​

The rubber portion of the air spring module is damaged and leaking air:
d8b6734d-ba03-4bfb-a657-56c857b26f5a.jpg

FIRMWARE DETAILS​

None

STEPS TO TEST​

1. Spray leak detector solution at the valve block.
  2. Confirm bubbles form where the top hat and rubber section of the module join:
cdbabd15-9bdc-4cc3-9f88-df1eb1ffdc2d.png

245c4044-0ca8-43c7-9559-a2c9104c0419.png

If bubbles form, then this is the issue.

STEPS TO FIX​

NOTE
The air spring module will change character over its life span. Handling and brake performance might be affected if a single air spring is replaced on a high mileage vehicle:
  • If an air spring module is replaced on a vehicle that has an odometer reading over 50,000mi or 80,500km, both air spring modules on the same axle need to be replaced.
  • If an air spring module is replaced on a vehicle that has an odometer reading below 50,000mi or 80,500km, only the air spring module with an issue should be replaced.

1. Remove and replace air spring module according to the appropriate Service Manual procedure:
  2. Perform a suspension calibration.
  3. Confirm the air suspension holds pressure.

FILTER CAUSES AND EFFECTS:​

Select model to filter by

EFFECTS​

POSSIBLE CAUSES​

Attachments

• d8b6734d-ba03-4bfb-a657-56c857b26f5a.jpg
    d8b6734d-ba03-4bfb-a657-56c857b26f5a.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 245c4044-0ca8-43c7-9559-a2c9104c0419.jpg
    245c4044-0ca8-43c7-9559-a2c9104c0419.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 10
  • cdbabd15-9bdc-4cc3-9f88-df1eb1ffdc2d.jpg