Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air compressor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
OK if it will do the suspension, it can air tires, but no way are you going to be able to use an impact wrench more than a few seconds. Maybe a small stapler with intermittent small air demands but not a die grinder. A 2 hp 2 cylinder compressor will struggle to keep up with an impact wrench or die grinder, that's why a 5 hp 20 amp 220vac 30 gallon tank is sitting in my shop.

It will obviously be electrically driven, but I'm unsure of what it's performance will be. Maybe a 1HP unit? If you need to extend the pressure volume one way is to use the spare wheel (if it has one) as it's safe to inflate tyres up to 2x their operational pressure when they are not in use. Other than that the rear 240V should run a 3-4Hp compressor if you need it. Technically, one could put a storage tank in the under bed compartment, and maybe mount the compressor itself in the sail compartments. (as a conventional compressor needs to be mounted upright because of the oil in the crankcase)

I'm hoping it's a 2.5HP equivalent compressor so that some tools will work, and inflating tyres doesn't take lone. A CIS would be perfect but out of budget.

There would be some sort of dehumidifier on the system for condensation. I don't think the volumes for tyres is recoverable, or beneficial, but for the suspension it might be. Active damping is also interesting.

Have you seen somewhere that they plan to use the same air pump for the suspension to supply air at the rear of the truck? I have assumed it would be a separate device, especially since I've read that the air ride pump recycles the same gas to avoid bringing in humidity.

I'd have to check the reveal transcripts, but I'm pretty sure Elon said something like "and because it has air suspension, we also added an onboard air-compressor" (I'm paraphrasing).

I'd have to check the reveal transcripts, but I'm pretty sure Elon said something like "and because it has air suspension, we also added an onboard air-compressor" (I'm paraphrasing).
If so, I agree with @iwannam3 in that it probably won't be a very powerful compressor. Good enough for some small tools but mostly good for airing tires. I mean, I keep a 12V compressor in my cars for that purpose, so is there any benefit to opening the air suspension system to ambient air?

Have you seen somewhere that they plan to use the same air pump for the suspension to supply air at the rear of the truck? I have assumed it would be a separate device, especially since I've read that the air ride pump recycles the same gas to avoid bringing in humidity.
Yes you are correct The modern Bosch air suspensions that MB/Jeep/Tesla uses are closed loop and does not pull in air from the outside. Although crappy off road Makes them much more reliable in the cold (but not extreme cold) than the one Land Rover uses.

Fromt the reveal:

Elon Musk: (12:34)
We have three ranges. So yeah. So obviously it’ll have access to all the superchargers, be capable of more than 250 kilowatts, we’ll reveal the actual number later, and it has onboard outlets for 110 and 220 volts. So you don’t need a generator. The truck literally is your generator. And, as a little plus, because it’s got an air suspension, we can tap off the air suspension so you have a pneumatic source. So you have an… Yeah. Onboard air compressor.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Depends on how long you use it for and how big the breaks in between are. A small compressor with a big storage tank can power big tools just fine if the average usage isn’t terribly high.

But we have no idea of the capacity of the compressor or the size of the tank at the moment, just speculation...

Hearing it then Reading that sounds to me like it will be able to inflate tires like a H2. On board air like an HUMMVEE would be awesome. If they would dump the crappy air suspension I’d take a pre wired plug and space for a twin motor ARB.
H2 cannot self inflate tires. That was a feature of the H1 and only possible due to the portal axles that essentially make the final drive axles very short and dead ended so hollow shaft and fittings on the back. Portal axles have many downsides especially for a consumer grade product so it’s doubtful they would have this feature.
As a side note, the H1 and H2 have nothing in common and aren’t made by the same mfg.

OK if it will do the suspension, it can air tires, but no way are you going to be able to use an impact wrench more than a few seconds. Maybe a small stapler with intermittent small air demands but not a die grinder. A 2 hp 2 cylinder compressor will struggle to keep up with an impact wrench or die grinder, that's why a 5 hp 20 amp 220vac 30 gallon tank is sitting in my shop.

Depends. Does it have reservoir? If so, how big? Almost every air compressor I have has a multi gallon reservoir. So your impact wrench is running off the air pressure in the tank most of the time. And the compressor starts every once in a while to top off the tank.

What is a roadster space x air compressor? Sounds like someone (Elon) put a fancy sticker on an ARB or VIAIR. A carbon tank would suck since it would have to be removed and hydro tested every 3-5 years.

If you already have a car that is pushing so much torque that the most grippy tires you are allowed to have are at the traction limit for the entire period of acceleration, the only way to go faster is an inertial device like a jet or rocket as well.

The 2020 Roadster is such a car, and it is supposed to have a top level option package that includes cold air thrusters driven by compressed air to push initial acceleration past the theoretical tire limit.

That will presumably require a substantial air compressor to recharge the jets unless the user is willing to have a long wait between full power runs.

Reactions: SpaceCash
H2 cannot self inflate tires. That was a feature of the H1 and only possible due to the portal axles that essentially make the final drive axles very short and dead ended so hollow shaft and fittings on the back. Portal axles have many downsides especially for a consumer grade product so it’s doubtful they would have this feature.
As a side note, the H1 and H2 have nothing in common and aren’t made by the same mfg.
I didn’t say the H2 could self inflate. The H2 My wife had had an optional compressor that you could use to fill tires. The HUMVEE’s I drove in the military had onboard air where you could inflate and deflate from inside, civilian H1’s have that as well. Portal axles are gears and have nothing to do with air, they simply lift where the drive shaft attaches in the wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ehninger1212
I didn’t say the H2 could self inflate. The H2 My wife had had an optional compressor that you could use to fill tires. The HUMVEE’s I drove in the military had onboard air where you could inflate and deflate from inside, civilian H1’s have that as well. Portal axles are gears and have nothing to do with air, they simply lift where the drive shaft attaches in the wheel.

But to inflate and deflate while in motion or without getting out, you need an air path that isn’t affected by wheel rotation.

The only way I’ve seen the done is by running the air down the center of the axle and then hooking that up to the tire valve.

Running air down the center of the axle is much easier on a six inch axle than a three foot one, or one with CV joints in it.

As a result, CTIS is generally only offered on portal axle vehicles as noted above.

Since the trimotor is probably using a separate gear train for each rear wheel anyway, it doesn’t seem like there is much penalty to building that with portals, but the front is a different story, and it will add to the unsprung weight on either.

I guess one potential advantage of doing the Cybertruck specifically with portals would be they might be able to use the exact same gearbox as Plaid cars inboard with the Portal reduction handling the larger wheels and lower speeds instead of designing a second version of the Plaid gears with higher reduction ratios for the truck.

Of course they probably need a similar set of tall gears already for the Semi...

If you already have a car that is pushing so much torque that the most grippy tires you are allowed to have are at the traction limit for the entire period of acceleration, the only way to go faster is an inertial device like a jet or rocket as well.

The 2020 Roadster is such a car, and it is supposed to have a top level option package that includes cold air thrusters driven by compressed air to push initial acceleration past the theoretical tire limit.

That will presumably require a substantial air compressor to recharge the jets unless the user is willing to have a long wait between full power runs.
Just like my air scrambler road rammer from the 1980’s? Let me guess reference is Wikipedia? If you believe that I have an orange bridge for sale in a prime location.

Do you have any idea the amount of pressure that would require to have any meaningful boost? Also air due to its high oxygen content wouldn’t work. Possibly could use Nitrogen but still the energy to compress it and amount of pressure would be astronomical, bio jet fuel would be a better option. And for all you non-Gullible non-millennials here you go, good luck getting the jingle out of your head.
upload_2019-12-11_11-39-37.jpeg

Last edited:
But to inflate and deflate while in motion or without getting out, you need an air path that isn’t affected by wheel rotation.

The only way I’ve seen the done is by running the air down the center of the axle and then hooking that up to the tire valve.

Running air down the center of the axle is much easier on a six inch axle than a three foot one, or one with CV joints in it.

As a result, CTIS is generally only offered on portal axle vehicles as noted above.

Since the trimotor is probably using a separate gear train for each rear wheel anyway, it doesn’t seem like there is much penalty to building that with portals, but the front is a different story, and it will add to the unsprung weight on either.

I guess one potential advantage of doing the Cybertruck specifically with portals would be they might be able to use the exact same gearbox as Plaid cars inboard with the Portal reduction handling the larger wheels and lower speeds instead of designing a second version of the Plaid gears with higher reduction ratios for the truck.

Of course they probably need a similar set of tall gears already for the Semi...
Portal axles have nothing to do with air. I know a few wranglers and an 80 series Land cruiser that have central air like the HUMMVEE and none have portals. Also know a few wranglers with portals and no central air.

I agree portals would be awesome but no way they will do it. That much unsprung weight on the wheels will negatively effect steering and handling. There was a g^2 at our MB dealer and I think it’s awesome MB built it. As for gearing not sure any of that matters with the torque curve of an electric motor.

here is a portal axel.

Attachments

• C4F26243-B2F7-4272-BA1C-1BA7838EAD04.jpeg
    C4F26243-B2F7-4272-BA1C-1BA7838EAD04.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Portal axles have nothing to do with air. I know a few wranglers and an 80 series Land cruiser that have central air like the HUMMVEE and none have portals. Also know a few wranglers with portals and no central air.

I agree portals would be awesome but no way they will do it. That much unsprung weight on the wheels will negatively effect steering and handling. There was a g^2 at our MB dealer and I think it’s awesome MB built it. As for gearing not sure any of that matters with the torque curve of an electric motor.

here is a portal axel.

So how did these wranglers and land cruisers get air to the wheels?