Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air condition controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 auto a/c is off.....temp outside is 90°...move temp control to 68°....a/c does NOT kick on automatically....i have to manually press a/c otherwise car will not cool....is this typical?...shouldnt a/c turn on when temp is set 22° below temp in car....do not want to leave on auto as only to lower temp when i want...thoughts appreciated

ac should always be on even when its heating. (AC has nothing to do with temperature, its air conditioning, not air cooling) id do a service request
Thanks for response....tesla service just told me not so and i have to turn on a/c manually if i want to lower temp or leave on auto.. not very good technology and not what i have to do in my 10 year old mazda....maybe one day elon will notice and do something about...thanks again

Upvote 0
Thanks for response....tesla service just told me not so and i have to turn on a/c manually if i want to lower temp or leave on auto.. not very good technology and not what i have to do in my 10 year old mazda....maybe one day elon will notice and do something about...thanks again
Not sure of the issue here. Manual means manual, you have to select what you want. Worked that way on all my cars. Just set it to auto and adjust temperature as needed.

Upvote 0
If auto is turned off, EVERYTHING is manual, including the A/C being on/off. That's the way it's been in every car I've ever had.
Wouldnt it make sense for a/c to kick on if needed to get to requested temperature? It does when you use defroster...right now seems like the thermostat in a public room connected to nothing that does nothing....borders on unsafe if you set low temp in car then leave it and upon return find temp in car is still very high...deadly if in doggie mode and you believe you have set low temp but in reality not so.... hopefully Elon or staff will become aware and change

Upvote 0
Wouldnt it make sense for a/c to kick on if needed to get to requested temperature? It does when you use defroster...right now seems like the thermostat in a public room connected to nothing that does nothing....borders on unsafe if you set low temp in car then leave it and upon return find temp in car is still very high...deadly if in doggie mode and you believe you have set low temp but in reality not so.... hopefully Elon or staff will become aware and change
Doggie mode turns on Auto.

Upvote 0
As a follow up...interesting that in doggie mode a/c does kick in automatically...love our dogs but surprised they are accommodated better than we are...granted they cant turn on a/c, but we shouldnt have to...solution is there and easy

Upvote 0
I certainly wouldn't want it to do that. Sometimes I only want fresh air blowing from the vents at my selected fan speed. The only way to do this is to set a very low temperature in manual mode with the A/C turned off.
Exactly. And even if the outside air is warmer than the cabin, sometimes you still just want the fresh air inside without wasting energy running the AC. And you set the target temp lower than the outside air just to make sure it doesn't heat the air. @Wml170 this is why manual mode exists. I would be annoyed if I didn't have that option.

Upvote 0
As a follow up...interesting that in doggie mode a/c does kick in automatically...love our dogs but surprised they are accommodated better than we are...granted they cant turn on a/c, but we shouldnt have to...solution is there and easy
And my 8 year old mazda does automatically turn on a/c if temp is lowered...interesting that even tesla will do that if thermostat is set all the way to LO...just not until then....seems a bit primitive and far below what should be in a great car

Upvote 0
And my 8 year old mazda does automatically turn on a/c if temp is lowered...interesting that even tesla will do that if thermostat is set all the way to LO...just not until then....seems a bit primitive and far below what should be in a great car
I don't think you're really putting thought into people's responses.

Earlier you said "Wouldnt it make sense for a/c to kick on if needed to get to requested temperature?" That is what AUTO is for - to get you to the requested temperature (quickly) and keep it there. Therefore it will blow the fan hard initially and turn AC on. Then gradually decrease fan as you approach target temp and figure out what fan speed it needs to maintain that temp.

If it's really hot outside and you're trying to cool off the cabin, using manual on fan speed 1 with AC on is not going to get you to your target temp. But that's fine - the purpose of manual is to allow you to set it how you like. Maybe Auto is for you after all?

Upvote 0
Exactly. And even if the outside air is warmer than the cabin, sometimes you still just want the fresh air inside without wasting energy running the AC. And you set the target temp lower than the outside air just to make sure it doesn't heat the air. @Wml170 this is why manual mode exists. I would be annoyed if I didn't have that option.
Interesting and understood but if you set thermostat to 65 shoulnt car deliver that...which alternative would be used most often? And in mazda and nissan leaf fan control is independent of ac

Upvote 0
Interesting and understood but if you set thermostat to 65 shoulnt car deliver that...which alternative would be used most often? And in mazda and nissan leaf fan control is independent of ac
It sounds like your Mazda would not allow you to just blow fresh air w/o turning on the AC if it was warmer outside than inside, and you didn't want the heater on. Seems restrictive.

Reactions: jmaddr
Upvote 0
I don't think you're really putting thought into people's responses.

Earlier you said "Wouldnt it make sense for a/c to kick on if needed to get to requested temperature?" That is what AUTO is for - to get you to the requested temperature (quickly) and keep it there. Therefore it will blow the fan hard initially and turn AC on. Then gradually decrease fan as you approach target temp and figure out what fan speed it needs to maintain that temp.

If it's really hot outside and you're trying to cool off the cabin, using manual on fan speed 1 with AC on is not going to get you to your target temp. But that's fine - the purpose of manual is to allow you to set it how you like. Maybe Auto is for you after all?
Thought auto was to always maintain the set temperature, which i dont want if windows are open while driving as a complete waste of energy trying to cool the outside...fan yes, ac no

Upvote 0
Interesting and understood but if you set thermostat to 65 shouln't car deliver that
As I and @Benito1283 said, sometimes you just want some fresh air and don't really care about the temperature or don't want the loss of range that having the A/C on would cause. Also, in certain conditions where the outside temperature is close to your set temperature, the system will continuously switch between cooling and heating to maintain cabin temperature, even though you could tolerate the swing of a few more degrees that would happen with just the fan blowing.

• Informative
Reactions: Benito1283
Upvote 0