Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air condition controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 auto a/c is off.....temp outside is 90°...move temp control to 68°....a/c does NOT kick on automatically....i have to manually press a/c otherwise car will not cool....is this typical?...shouldnt a/c turn on when temp is set 22° below temp in car....do not want to leave on auto as only to lower temp when i want...thoughts appreciated

As I and @Benito1283 said, sometimes you just want some fresh air and don't really care about the temperature or don't want the loss of range that having the A/C on would cause. Also, in certain conditions where the outside temperature is close to your set temperature, the system will continuously switch between cooling and heating to maintain cabin temperature, even though you could tolerate the swing of a few more degrees that would happen with just the fan blowing.
That would certainly be the case if ac set to auto in tesla, not so in mazda or leaf which allow independent control of fan...kind of like in my house if running ac will either close the doors or shut off ac or just run fan

Upvote 0
The problem with Auto mode is that you can't control where the airflow goes. It decides whether it goes to your feet, centre or the windshield or a combination. If you want to set the airflow location(s), you need to use manual, which you also need if you never want A/C to turn on.
That is true. I guess it’s based on what it believes will achieve the temp quickest. You can however turn on/off the rear vent while remaining in Auto which I like because sometimes I have my dog in the back.

Reactions: MLXXXp
Upvote 0
Seems like it’s working as intended and like how every other automatic climate control I’ve used works.

So you want AC to be automatic but you also don’t want it to be automatic? It can’t be both manual and automatic at the same time. You need to pick one or the other.
Want tesla to be like leaf and mazda where auto maintains a set temp always, while in manual only if i lower ac to where it should kick on it does...guess mazda and leaf have hybrid auto while more "advanced" tesla has auto or nothing...

Upvote 0
If you feel the climate controls are superior in the Mazda or Leaf, then by all means drive those vehicles. Admittedly there is a bit of a learning curve to using the Tesla climate controls most efficiently. My beef is the amount of fan noise in the cabin and frequently adjusting the fan speed to help mitigate the noise in an otherwise fairly quiet car.

Reactions: DamienSteele
Upvote 0
If you feel the climate controls are superior in the Mazda or Leaf, then by all means drive those vehicles. Admittedly there is a bit of a learning curve to using the Tesla climate controls most efficiently. My beef is the amount of fan noise in the cabin and frequently adjusting the fan speed to help mitigate the noise in an otherwise fairly quiet car.
Inclined to stay with tesla, so far, in spite of perceived shortcomings...nothing is perfect and always nice to have increasing alternatives to consider....right now tesla gets the nod and important to support creativity, which very seldom is perfect

Upvote 0