TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Air conditioner A/C doesnt blow cold

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by rekoh, Mar 22, 2013.

1. rekoh

rekoh Member

Maybe I am missing something, but turned on my A/C today for the first time, and it didn't blow cold.. at all. I reset the center screen? to see if that would do something, played with all the climate settings, nothing.

Anyone else ever have an issue with their A/C? Any other ideas on how to fix??

2. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Does the compressor come on? ( not just the fan). Does the system have gas? You probably need service to check those out for you.

3. rekoh

rekoh Member

Yes the compressor comes on. .. .. Not sure if it has gas?? I sent a message to my ranger. I will update when resolved.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Too cold here yet for a/c but when I took my Get Amped test drive last summer, and drove one in California last September, I was very impressed with the a/c performance. On high you could hang meat in there on the hottest of summer days.

5. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

No offense, but I'm gonna take reports of great AC from people from north of the border with some grains of salt :)

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Dude, this may not be Arizona, but it gets well into the 90's, and I bet you've never seen our humidity!

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My a/c worked just fine in Texas when the temperatures were in the thirties a few days ago. I couldn't see the power consumption needle move either so it's not going to affect range that much. Of course, when it gets to 45+ this summer, it may be a different story.

8. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

I guess you were going a metric conversion for those Canadian folks :smile:

9. jerry33

Are you implying that everyone doesn't use metric?

10. john01

john01 Member

My AC is horrid! AC is set at 67 for hours but inside 79 (that's what my app says). Outside it was 79. Yes I have Pano roof. I have no idea what the temp is in the back seat but it has to be much hotter. I've complained yet I'm told it's normal.

I drove a 85+ and it was cold on a hot sunny day.

The heater on the other had is great.

11. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Your AC is clearly not working.

12. jerry33

13. Ohms.Law

Ohms.Law Member

Lots of AC problems here. 2013: brought car in because AC was waking the neighbors. Told it was a normal sound. Six weeks later AC stopped cooling altogether and SC finally fixed it. 2014: brought car in because AC was waking the neighbors (again) and was told everything is normal and fine. Six weeks later (today) guess what? Noise is even louder and no cooling whatsoever. Going back in for service again this week. Getting very tired of this.

14. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

+1. 40 odd years ago, when I lived in South Africa we went metric. With everything. Took us all a bit of converting but worth it in the long run. At least I understand, vaguely what you guys are talking about when you mention Fahrenheit!!

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Agree. I can cool my car down easily on a hot (90's) and humid day with it in Range Mode.

16. Burt Court

Burt Court Member

On the lower "Custom Auto" screen, above the three dark blue AUTO indicators is a lighter setting called "Reset Auto" That one is like a MAX in ICE cars. In my case, it will freeze me out very quickly. Discovered by accident, really like it. I at first thot our A/C was poor but now really like it.
    Old Burt

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

On my car, "Reset Auto" simply puts the system back in to full Auto mode, not MAX A/C. In my previous cars, MAX A/C would simply change the air to recirculate from outside air and, in some cases, bump the fan speed up a bit.

The Tesla does seem to give a lot more preference to Recirculate when in Auto mode, but it will eventually flip over to outside air when in full Auto mode.

18. SBerg

SBerg Member

There seems to be a big difference in cooling with recirculating (better) vs fresh air. Set that to "auto" and see if that helps.

19. Burt Court

Burt Court Member

sorry mknox that yours does not work as well as mine, especially since I'm in the desert of SoCal. I get a really cold blast of air thru all the ducts very quickly. Have to admit that most of my problems at first were all "operator error".
    old burt