Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioner(A/C) Thermostat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a new Model S with panoramic roof out here in the dry heat of Arizona. No window tint(yet). The A/C setting of say 72 degree correlates with 80 degrees. The mobile app says its 72 but it sure doesn't feel like 72, at least not like any of my other cars. I am planning on getting a digital thermometer to compare. Is this normal of the S or do I have a defective thermostat?

People commonly mention the A/C being underwhelming. I've not seen someone test it against a thermometer though...id like to see that.
I spoke with my local Tesla dealer about the AC not being very robust.

They believe the freon is not fully charged, so they are servicing it in 2 days to fix. I'll let you know if that works.

The poor AC performance was originally just a disappointment, but when it blew a handful of small ice chucks out through the vent, I called them.

Even in Northern California the AC doesn't seem to match the thermostat once the outside temperature climbs over 90. The AC actually seems to have plenty of cooling power so I suspect the problem is that the temp sensor is not well placed and the system doesn't figure out where to direct the air and adjust the flow. I feel a lot of heat coming off the windshield when it's 90+, but the system doesn't direct anything to the under windshield vents so you get cool air from the dash vents, and hot air off the windshield and pano.

Poor system programming, like so many things that Elon doesn't consider critical.