TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Air Conditioner Compressor Cooling

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by M109Rider, May 25, 2018.

1. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

I know an ice cars air conditioner is usually cooled by the fan. Mostly anyway.

How is Tesla’s air conditioner compressor cooled. ?

Thanks

2. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Are you referring to the random airflow in the engine compartment from the general airflow plus the radiator fan in an ice?

3. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

I’m referring mostly to the radiator fan.
    Compressors rely on the radiator fan to keep it cool.
    I’m pretty sure there is no radiator fan in the Tesla, so I’m wondering how that air conditioner compressor is cooled.
    Maybe it’s a completely different design, and doesn’t need the same type of cooling as an ice car compressor does. ?

4. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

So I found a blurb about the air conditioner on Tesla’s site. It doesn’t mention anything about how it keeps the compressor cool during use without a fan, but based on the complex system of heating and cooling the cars battery, I suspect it manages to cool itself the same way it cools the battery.
    Again, it didn’t say that, but that’s what I took away from it.

Not an important topic I know, but I was curious. :)
    Thanks

5. Butane

Butane Member

This video should answer your questions. Looks a lot like a normal car, but the radiator (for battery, etc) is tilted at an angle. Not my video, made by a guy much smarter than me on these forums.

6. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

The air conditioning system has a radiator on the outside of the cabin called a condenser (or condensing coil). In an ICE, that is cooled by the airflow going through the front of the car and assisted by a fan. That fan can either be electric or powered directly from the motor. A Tesla also has a condensing coil and an electric fan to assist pulling air through.

The compressor is a pump mounted on the engine, typically powered by a belt that is moving the refrigerant through the system. In a Tesla, this is a sealed electric unit. More similar to a home air conditioner. In both cases, the compressor is cooled by ambient air around it and the refrigerant going through it.

Inside the car is an evaporator coil. There is a fan that blows air through the evaporator and then into the cabin. This is the same on Tesla & ICE.

• Like x 1
  7. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

Thanks. !

8. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

Thanks for the reply. !

9. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

The fans are pretty loud at full tilt... The car sounds like a subdued jet about to take off. I hear them almost every day living in the hot desert